Bowed Marcato String Patch

GCL

Bowed Marcato String Patch
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
I used to have a great marcato string patch on my old OB-8 that really simulated the sound of the bow drawing across the string. I haven't been able to recreate it on my OB-6 so far. Any tips would be appreciated and/or would gladly pay someone who is more knowledgeable about programming than I am to create a patch. Thanks.

autoy

Re: Bowed Marcato String Patch
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »
I used to have a great marcato string patch on my old OB-8 that really simulated the sound of the bow drawing across the string. I haven't been able to recreate it on my OB-6 so far. Any tips would be appreciated and/or would gladly pay someone who is more knowledgeable about programming than I am to create a patch. Thanks.

If you could post audio examples I think it'd be easier to help you. There's not much modulation-wise the OB-8 can do over the OB-6, quite the contrary. The basic tone can be easily matched unless you're using specific features on the OB-8 like layering, splits or exponential portamento.

GCL

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »
My OB-8 is long gone, so I don't have an example, but I programmed that patch by accident (modifying one of they factory presets). I'm sure the OB-6 is more than capable enough to do a similar patch, but I can't remember what I did to get there.  In a lot a cases I prefer not to fake something with samples, but instead prefer straight analog or digital synthesized versions, which are more their own sound/thing. Here's a sampled string version I'd like to emulate:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »
There's nothing overly mysterious about that string patch.  The key to the bowing effect is in adding a very small amount of envelope controlled filter modulation.  Based on the speed at which the notes will be played, you set the attack and release.  And if you're going to play sustained notes, then you set the delay and sustain accordingly.  Generally, a very slow delay to a "0" filter sustain works best.  I nearly always add a degree of this to my string patches.  But the bowing effect is created by the slightly delayed opening of the filter by the attack, and then the closing of it by the release.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:30:40 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

GCL

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
There's nothing overly mysterious about that string patch.  The key to the bowing effect is in adding a very small amount of envelope controlled filter modulation.  Based on the speed in which the notes will be played, you set the attack and release.  And if you're going to play sustained notes, then you set the delay and sustain accordingly.  Generally, a very slow delay to a "0" filter sustain works best.  I nearly always add a degree of this to my string patches.  But the bowing effect is created by the slightly delayed opening of the filter by the attack, and then the closing of it by the release.

Thanks. I'll try that. I'm not all that great at programming, and have mainly been a tweaker.

AlanC

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »
Is something like the attached what you were looking for?

GCL

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
I will try that thank you. At the moment I can't log into the DSI site because I'm getting a permissions forbidden message. I can only get in with my iPhone. Will try to figure this out.

GCL

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Is something like the attached what you were looking for?

Yes, thank you! Is there any way I might get that from you?

AlanC

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
There are four variations in the attached zip file. I accidentally overwrote the patch in the previous post when I started playing around with the basic sound; I thought it was rather too bright / harsh. The first is the basic sound using sawtooth waves. The second uses PWM and is a bit more mellow. The third is best solo above middle C, and the fourth is a variation on that. The third and fourth patches modulate the filter from bandpass to lowpass to give a rather different effect.

They all use an inverted filter envelope: the filter attack sets the duration of the bowed effect. To adjust the depth, find the point where the '.' appears in the display for the filter envelope amount then go towards zero for less effect or in the negative direction to increase it, then adjust the cutoff to suit.

I was trying for something like a patch I created for my 002 some time ago (audio file attached) but couldn't really get there.

Have fun with the patches. :)

Edit: When you send the patches to the OB-6 they'll load into the edit buffer rather than a specific memory location. You can then write them to whatever location you want.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:58:30 AM by AlanC »

GCL

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »
Thanks Alan, I really appreciate this! Did you use SysEx Librarian to export them? For some reason I couldn't get the mp3, but no matter, I got the patches.

AlanC

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:08:42 AM »
Yes, they're from Sysex Librarian.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
Thanks Alan, I really appreciate this! Did you use SysEx Librarian to export them? For some reason I couldn't get the mp3, but no matter, I got the patches.

Humm, I had no problem downloading the mp3 first, then opening it with winamp (any mp3 player will work)

LA

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
... I was trying for something like a patch I created for my 002 some time ago (audio file attached) but couldn't really get there....

The 002 patch sound awesome! I wish it was easier to transfer patches on modal synths.

LA