Tell me/sell me! Help me Evolve!

dslsynth

Re: Tell me/sell me! Help me Evolve!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »
Yes, I know you want the two-voice feature.

The point is just that I find that being able to choose between having stereo panned sounds, layered sounds or having two voices are superior to having two hardware voices glued together. So its a matter of hardware resources versus expressiveness.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »
Why don't you combine two Evolver Desktops?

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »
But now you're worrying me - how long til I'm convinced I need to own the PolyEvolver?!

Playing adventure games in the synthesizer world can be challenging: "Evolver got you!" ;-)

I would suggest taking your time unless you get a very good offer on a Poly Evolver. Plus we are not that far away from next NAMM and new stuff could show up that will be much more interesting.

And wear your Spoiled By Evolver (TM) badge with pride! ;)
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »
Why don't you combine two Evolver Desktops?

That is not the point. A two voice with layers have more freedom in deciding between Evolver style stereo panning and Prophet '08 mono single or layered sounds. Its simply more expressive than the Evolver way!

. o O ( same old rant )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »
With two Evolver Desktops and a small mixer, you could create any configuration you wanted - mono or stereo, one layer or two layers.  It seems ideal for your needs.  And if this combination lacked a sufficiently strong analog voice, you could add something like a Mother 32 module later.

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
With existing products you are definitely right.

However, I keep falling into this new voice architecture design pit all the time.

;)
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
Believe me, I sympathize with you.  I'm often the same.  And that's the disadvantage of new products being constantly released - we're forever hoping and looking for that brand new gadget that will do it all.  As a result, we're afraid to commit to something that already exists, even if it mostly meets our needs.

As much as I look forward to NAMM like everyone else, I won't let it own me.  There are already so many excellent instruments from which to choose, including those that I already own!  As for you, who knows if your dream machine will ever exist?  You could always choose instead to put it together now with what already exists, and forget about that dream machine that may never be.  I would think that one or two Evolver Desktops combined with something like a Moog Mother-32 or a Vermona Mono Lancet would keep you happy and busy just fine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:50:05 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Wise words! One alternative look at NAMM shows is as that time of year where we finally get to see what they got wrong this time around! ;)

As for my dream machines its always quite close. Just a few things omitted. There are several aspects of the perfect synthesizer. One is looking towards the more innovative synthesizer manufacturers such as Mutable Instruments and maybe plant a few seeds. Another is seriously considering making your own synthesizers. Which I unfortunately do not have the skills to do myself. But I think that is basically the only option currently. I don't consider going Eurorack as its expensive, bulky and have no MIDI control.

Finally one must not forget the commercial concept called Product Management. If synthesizer manufacturers make machines that cover a very broad range of potential sounds they are less likely to sell as many machines. An extreme example of this is the otherwise lovely Prophet-6 and OB-6. Choices are there and one have to get multiple instruments in order to cover a wide range of sounds. Companies love that!

Wonder how our Evolver newcomers are doing with their new machines? One advice I would suggest to the Evolver newcomers is trying out the MEK presets as some of them are very good. Another is having loads of nasty fun with the tuned feedback and modulated delays.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »
As an aside, I don't spend much time on other synthesizer forums, but I do poke around a bit.  I'm amazed at how frequently I see comments by present or former Evolver owners who dearly wish DSI would bring back at least the Poly Evolver.  I haven't seen any such comments about the other retired Dave Smith instruments, but it's common enough to see several wistful remarks about the old blue machine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:40:21 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
Yeah its a great machine with a unique sound and a wide sonic span. Imagine how good it would be if build with current DSI oscillator and filter ingredients. A few extra goodies would be lovely such as digital oscillators with phase modulation and the ability to interpolate across multiple waveshapes.

. o O ( same old rant )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
That's all true, but you know it isn't going to happen.  DSI will produce one excellent synthesizer after another, but I'm 99% certain we'll never see the much desired Evolver Mk II.  Woe....

dslsynth

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »
Which is exactly why another manufacturer should enter the market for complex synthesizer voices featuring analog impact and digital diversity. Another thing is that DSI almost got it right with Prophet 12 and Pro 2. They just forgot to put in a few essential features!

Back on topic: Looking forward to hear how it goes with the new Evolver owners. Hopefully they are not scared away from their studio by angry Evolver growls.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »

Back on topic: Looking forward to hear how it goes with the new Evolver owners. Hopefully they are not scared away from their studio by angry Evolver growls.

I'm still waiting to meet my Evolver - I'm assuming it's been delivered to my dad's house by now. I'm up in the hills on my gf's farm, but we'll hit town tonight for my gig and I'll pick up my new Precious, I hope! 

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Fascinating, fun and frustrating! First impressions of the Evolver. Frustrating only cos I'm suddenly trying to understand all it can do and get it to do all at once. A crazy time 'round here, I should add - My gf's Minilogue arrived today, 24 hours after we got stuck in with the Evolver. And, not sure how much detail anyone wants, but I also just got my, uh, "California card" yesterday, so last night's "learning the Evolver" session was all the groovier. At moment, the Evolver is MIDI'd up to the P5, so no aftertouch or mod wheel action, but we'll get there! Honestly, the thing that hooked me was a basic Pro One-esque sync patch - probably a factory preset. While I love the mind-jiggling possibilities of the sequencer and the ever-always range of sounds, I needed to find a few immediate pop-songable patches to try out. Anyway, I'm very pleased and impressed with the Evolver and thankful to those of you who've chimed in here in the last week. 

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »
DSI almost got it right with Prophet 12 and Pro 2. They just forgot to put in a few essential features!

What did they forget to include?

dslsynth

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
What did they forget to include?

If you ask me: Analog oscillators in both instruments and analog filter feedback in Prophet 12. Reason? Again this Spoiled By Evolver (TM) syndrome. One of the reasons the Evolver is so cool is the combination of a (fairly solid) analog foundation spiced up with a good portion digital diversity.

One key improvement over the Evolver already exists in both instruments: fully analog signal path whenever possible. If you compare the sounds of Evolver and Prophet'08/Mopho/Tetra you will notice a far better bass in the latter. The lack of post-filter converters does make a sonic difference.

Of cause its relevant to say that both instruments are very deliberate designs by DSI. Its not that they forgot the analog oscillators. Its simply that so was the design concept. Some love it. Some don't. Some of us would just have preferred both analog and digital oscillators due to increased sonic versatility compared to a fully digital oscillator section.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:50:18 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
Anyway, I'm very pleased and impressed with the Evolver and thankful to those of you who've chimed in here in the last week.

Congratulations and welcome in the Evolver camp! Hope you will have lots of noisy fun! ;)

Sync bass? Seen this Evolver video before? https://youtu.be/rctfwPVJdnM

Any plans to get a portable setup with your Evolver? If so and if you don't mind small keys I would just like to point you to these two KMI products:
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/

Their MIDI Expander is needed for standalone use:
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/accessories/

Its fairly solid controllers:
https://youtu.be/ubqkNu6lx5Y

Have to add that its indeed small keys so watch this video for a preview of that configuration:
https://youtu.be/39O-45l6lNU?t=1m2s
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:20:24 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
Anyway, I'm very pleased and impressed with the Evolver and thankful to those of you who've chimed in here in the last week.

Congratulations and welcome in the Evolver camp! Hope you will have lots of noisy fun! ;)

Sync bass? Seen this Evolver video before? https://youtu.be/rctfwPVJdnM

Any plans to get a portable setup with your Evolver? If so and if you don't mind small keys I would just like to point you to these two KMI products:
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/qunexus/
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/

Their MIDI Expander is needed for standalone use:
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/accessories/

Its fairly solid controllers:
https://youtu.be/ubqkNu6lx5Y

Have to add that its indeed small keys so watch this video for a preview of that configuration:
https://youtu.be/39O-45l6lNU?t=1m2s

Thanks for all the suggestions. The KMI stuff looks brilliant. Honestly, my Evolver ( and most of my synths for that matter) never leave the house! My live gigs are usually either acoustic guitar and/or piano or with plain old rock band. My albums are swamped in synths, but I'm somehow quite gear-phobic at gigs. I mean, I've started bringing a loop pedal to use as drum track and I drag my Yamaha CP out sometimes, but for the most part I keep my electronic side hidden from the people!

dslsynth

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. The KMI stuff looks brilliant.

You are welcome. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of them. There are a family of new controllers, Roger Linn LinnStrument, ROLI Seaboard, KMI QuNexus/K-Board/K-Board Pro 4 and many others that may be worth looking into if more expressive playing is of interest. Only caveat: most DSI polys does not support MPE nor multi-timbral modes but it works fine for monophonic instruments.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. The KMI stuff looks brilliant.

You are welcome. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of them. There are a family of new controllers, Roger Linn LinnStrument, ROLI Seaboard, KMI QuNexus/K-Board/K-Board Pro 4 and many others that may be worth looking into if more expressive playing is of interest. Only caveat: most DSI polys does not support MPE nor multi-timbral modes but it works fine for monophonic instruments.

I've had a couple chances to play the ROLI. Very impressive, that thing...