Tell me/sell me! Help me Evolve!

Tell me/sell me! Help me Evolve!
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »
Uh, sorry about the wanky subject line... But after hanging out on this forum a little too long, I've suddenly become very curious about the Evolver. I'm seeing a few desktop models for sale and am intrigued, yet don't know why, given I know so little about this particular synth. Can anyone give me a good basic sales-pitch given I'm already inclined to pick one up? I've got a good handful of analog(ue) monos and polys - Pro One, Micromoog, DE, MS10 and MS20, Prophet 6, Juno 6, PolySix and access to a P5, so I'm well-covered. I'd been thinking of getting a BSII, just cos, but I'm betting the Evolver would bring a whole other slice of sounds to the pie. Anyway, I'm obviously speaking to the right people here, so if anyone is able to help with a quick summing up of what the Evolver is all about, I'm all ear! Cheers!

chysn

Re: Tell me/sell me! Help me Evolve!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:58:08 AM »
Well, with the number of synths that you have, you obviously like variety. So an Evolver will be a relatively inexpensive way to increase the variety of sounds you have available. I don't know what a BSII is, but the strength of the Evolver is the large number of high-quality tools it brings to the table. Analog and digital oscillators, four LFOs, four sequencers, three envelope generators, FM, digital waveshapes similar to those of the Prophet VS, a delay line, tuned feedback, ring modulation.

That's a lot of stuff, but probably the Evolver's killer app is its stereo signal path. It's got two analog filters, configured in stereo, which gives it a unique sense of a living instrument.

For similar money, and seeing what else you have, it covers more additional ground than a Bass Station II would cover.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:59:46 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Well, with the number of synths that you have, you obviously like variety. So an Evolver will be a relatively inexpensive way to increase the variety of sounds you have available. I don't know what a BSII is, but the strength of the Evolver is the large number of high-quality tools it brings to the table. Analog and digital oscillators, four LFOs, four sequencers, three envelope generators, FM, digital waveshapes similar to those of the Prophet VS, a delay line, tuned feedback, ring modulation.

That's a lot of stuff, but probably the Evolver's killer app is its stereo signal path. It's got two analog filters, configured in stereo, which gives it a unique sense of a living instrument.

For similar money, and seeing what else you have, it covers more additional ground than a Bass Station II would cover.

Thanks chysn - that's the kinda sales-pitch I'm wanting! The Evolver sounds like a fascinating instrument. And it looks like the stereo input is a primary feature as well, that the synth is designed as much to be a processing machine.

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
I can highly recommend the Evolver too. It have its own sounds of analog oscillators and filters in stereo seasoned to taste with plenty of delicious digital dirt. Its tuned feedback path can do plenty of interesting sounds. Oh and the digital oscillators are nice too.

Things you should know before buying an Evolver desktop:
(1) Seriously consider getting one of the later models. Look at DSI's support page and you will be informed of the serial number of the first of the most recent model.
(2) There are a number of bugs in its OS such as not all program parameters being transferred correctly from an edit buffer message and single step sequences not starting at step 1.
(3) The digital oscillators tend to be rather noisy or trashy at higher notes.
(4) The Evolver does not have so much bass contents in its sound compared to the Prophet08/Mopho/Tetra family. So head to the Evolver for its own type of sounds and head in other directions for a massive bass sound.

Oh and be sure to wear your Spoiled By Evolver (TM) badge with pride! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
Chysn said it all.  I would only add that the Evolver offers the most massive and complex sound with precise designing that you could possibly get at so reasonable a price.  There's an art to using four oscillators at once, and if you apply yourself to exploring the possible combinations of analog and digital waves, then you'll find yourself with an array of timbres that are quite unique.  When you add the onboard delays, it's hard to believe it's all coming from such a little monophonic synthesizer.  I have one and use it exclusively for bass, but I'd like to get a second one for solo playing; it's that good, in my opinion.  Yes, it lacks the depth and girth of the infamous Moog sound, but don't be deterred by that.  With four oscillators, you can use one as a sub and add a triangle for extra bass fullness.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:25:17 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
I would only add that the Evolver offers the most massive and complex sound with precise designing that you could possibly get at so reasonable a price.

Very true. Also if looking at the more recent products only Pro 2 have a competing level of voice complexity but it does not have a stereo signal path nor any analog oscillators though that could be added via eurorack interface. And its way more expensive than the Evolver was even when it was new.

Given that DSI products are much more expensive per voice these days I would personally much prefer having the option of using voices in pairs using layers whenever a stereo signal path is desired. Prophet 12 does that pretty elegantly.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »
I would only add that the Evolver offers the most massive and complex sound with precise designing that you could possibly get at so reasonable a price.

Very true. Also if looking at the more recent products only Pro 2 have a competing level of voice complexity but it does not have a stereo signal path nor any analog oscillators though that could be added via eurorack interface. And its way more expensive than the Evolver was even when it was new.

The stereo omission from the Pro 2, plus the lack of a module version, mean that it really isn't a sufficient replacement for the Evolver.  I would have been enthusiastic about a worthy replacement with a "new improved" aspect, but that just isn't the case with the Pro 2.  Hence, many of us continue to look back to the Evolver as probably the most unique instrument DSI has yet produced. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:58:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
The stereo omission from the Pro 2, plus the lack of a module version, mean that it really isn't a sufficient replacement for the Evolver.  I would have been enthusiastic about a worthy replacement with a "new improved" aspect, but that just isn't the case with the Pro 2.  Hence, many of us continue to look back to the Evolver as probably the most unique instrument DSI has yet produced.

Agree! In fact I would say that the greatest problem with Pro 2 is that it got one and not two voices. If DSI had added analog oscillators and layers to such a two voice it would have been perfect. Still its a nice machine, just not one for me as its too large, too expensive and have no module version.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 09:12:27 AM »
Yes, I know you want the two-voice feature.  Well, if DSI had made a module version of the Pro 2 with polychain, we'd both be happier.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
It's worth mentioning that it's a very cerebral synth. Learning all the abbreviations for the mod paths, memorizing what's where on the front panel, which row and column are selected, and keeping track of all the patch parameters while you're working can be pretty heady.

The grid-based layout is pretty brilliant though, and reading through the manual continues to reveal more and more functionality that makes me want to try utilizing it in ways I wasn't even considering when I picked it up.

On a personality level, it can be capable of blissful and clean tones but it really loves to bare it's teeth, squelch, buzz and snarl. Sometimes I'll be adding a bunch of modulation to a patch and need to stop and figure out how to defang it a bit.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
It's worth mentioning that it's a very cerebral synth. Learning all the abbreviations for the mod paths, memorizing what's where on the front panel, which row and column are selected, and keeping track of all the patch parameters while you're working can be pretty heady.

The grid-based layout is pretty brilliant though, and reading through the manual continues to reveal more and more functionality that makes me want to try utilizing it in ways I wasn't even considering when I picked it up.

On a personality level, it can be capable of blissful and clean tones but it really loves to bare it's teeth, squelch, buzz and snarl. Sometimes I'll be adding a bunch of modulation to a patch and need to stop and figure out how to defang it a bit.

I'm looking forward to the challenge... I'm likely well overdue for a bit of brain-work! I love my analog world and I work well in an intuitive way with it, but I'd say that my sudden interest in the Evolver is also an intuitive twerk for me. Must be time to add/create/discover new sounds, innit! Still, I appreciate the heads up - I didn't imagine the Evolver to be easy like the Prophet 6, but I'm also guessing it won't feel like the year I spent with a DX-7 conjuring a duck sound! (A lousy duck sound, have to say.) The Evolver's due in the post today or tomorrow. I'm sure I'll chime in here again in glee or confusion!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
If you know analog synthesis, the Evolver Desktop will be a cinch for you.  The matrix takes some getting used to, but it's laid out very intuitively.  The real challenge will be to your imagination, in putting to use the vast amount of sonic resources.  But regarding the digital side, it's only more of the same.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »
If you know analog synthesis, the Evolver Desktop will be a cinch for you.  The matrix takes some getting used to, but it's laid out very intuitively.  The real challenge will be to your imagination, in putting to use the vast amount of sonic resources.  But regarding the digital side, it's only more of the same.

I'm looking forward! And ought to be a curious week - my girlfriend is getting a Minilogue to augment her ailing Prophet 5, so we'll be swimming in fresh ponds of synth water suddenly soon!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »
I'm looking forward! And ought to be a curious week - my girlfriend is getting a Minilogue to augment her ailing Prophet 5, so we'll be swimming in fresh ponds of synth water suddenly soon!

Wow, a girlfriend with a Prophet 5!  Sounds like a match made in heaven!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »

Wow, a girlfriend with a Prophet 5!  Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Aw! Yeah, she's great and she's got a great ear for music/sound. She's hinting at going modular. I'm scared!

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
Hence, many of us continue to look back to the Evolver as probably the most unique instrument DSI has yet produced.

Fixed.   ;D

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
Uh, sorry about the wanky subject line... But after hanging out on this forum a little too long, I've suddenly become very curious about the Evolver. I'm seeing a few desktop models for sale and am intrigued, yet don't know why, given I know so little about this particular synth. Can anyone give me a good basic sales-pitch given I'm already inclined to pick one up? I've got a good handful of analog(ue) monos and polys - Pro One, Micromoog, DE, MS10 and MS20, Prophet 6, Juno 6, PolySix and access to a P5, so I'm well-covered. I'd been thinking of getting a BSII, just cos, but I'm betting the Evolver would bring a whole other slice of sounds to the pie. Anyway, I'm obviously speaking to the right people here, so if anyone is able to help with a quick summing up of what the Evolver is all about, I'm all ear! Cheers!

I just got a PolyEvolver, and I wouldn't trade it for all of your synths combined, except to sell most of them and buy another PolyEvolver.  I'd probably keep the Pro One and Prophet 6 tho.  :)   What's a DE?

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »

I just got a PolyEvolver, and I wouldn't trade it for all of your synths combined, except to sell most of them and buy another PolyEvolver.  I'd probably keep the Pro One and Prophet 6 tho.  :)   What's a DE?

The trick is to keep them all! I'm on my second Pro One, having traded the first for a Micromoog, which I then traded for the just-mentioned Pro One! Bought a second Micromoog couple years back, and vowed not to trade synths no more! I love all my gear. The Evolver ought to be arriving today or tomorrow, can't wait. But now you're worrying me - how long til I'm convinced I need to own the PolyEvolver?!

DE = Doepfer Dar Energy. Gorgeous little monosynth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
But now you're worrying me - how long 'til I'm convinced I need to own the Poly Evolver?!

The realization should hit you shortly after you've recognized the potential of the Evolver Desktop.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »
I just got a PolyEvolver, and I wouldn't trade it for all of your synths combined, except to sell most of them and buy another Poly Evolver.

Considering how incredibly flexible is the Poly Evolver, that would make perfect sense.  Heck, why not a third as well?