Physical Outs

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Physical Outs
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »
Why have 6 physical voice out plus the mains?

Does anyone actually plug all the voices out and leave the mains unplugged? The quality of the audio signal can't be the reason and I dont understand why DSI would take on the additional costs especially when the mains and voice outs cannot all play sound at the same time when fully connected. So, a truck load of money could be save with this in mind. It may have even made it affordable to have push switches on the back per physical voice outs to route voices to mains and avoid all the plugging and unplugging of jacks.

Thoughts?
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Re: Physical Outs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
Every beat can be on a different output scheme. Typically I will do a bridge section with reverb on the kick so for that beat the kick is assigned to the voice out that goes to my reverb as opposed to making the change at the mixer while my hands are busy with other transitional elements.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Now thats cool. Never thought of that. Good enough reason for using max 5 voice outs but not all 6 unless you dont use the compression and distortion master FX through the mains.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:15:11 AM »
I have five plugged in all the time and leave voice six for the mains. You're right about one of the voice outs being a bit redundant,  though I think there might be level differences between the voice outs and the main out.

I *really* wish there was some kind of software switch to route voices from the voice outs to the mains without having to unplug cables (which is a real ball-ache).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:15:43 AM »
Agreed. Or to keep the sugnal analog a hardware switch.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »
Really a brilliant idea.

Every beat can be on a different output scheme. Typically I will do a bridge section with reverb on the kick so for that beat the kick is assigned to the voice out that goes to my reverb as opposed to making the change at the mixer while my hands are busy with other transitional elements.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
true so long as you don use compression or distortion as part of your beat scheme on those sounds. External FX comes in handy
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
True! i have some minifoogers I can patch into for compression and other assorted goodies so this setup is kind of a win win for me. Dag never thought of this...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 04:31:21 AM »
I also often put an identical patch on 2 pads, both sent to different voices for different effects. So, it doesn't necessarily have to be done at beat level.

Depending on project, I'll have 1 to 4 individual outputs going into a mixer, but almost always have the main outputs in the configuration.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
That makes a lot pf sense. I dont have enough inputs into my system but am starting to use Mains, V1, V2. I have an option for v3 as well for those odd times where I will need to process a synth pad. However, I am now trying to integrate my other gear for synth duties.  I hope to treat the mains as a drum bus with a dedicated out for a duplicate sound (probably Kick) to come out dry and processed kind like a parralel setup.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »
Pretty sure they are using switching jacks that interrupt the signal to the mains section as soon as a cable is plugged in, so there is no hope of a future software update that addresses a different routing possibility. If you notice, the the voices rob the headphone out as well, which was my biggest clue. Personally, I'm happy to have the direct out of each voice available bypassing any software mixing or onboard effects, as I have much better distortion and compression available outboard. They are nice to have when I'm not tethered into the studio though, for quick ideas.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
Yes they are switching jacks. I just dont see the need to have mains plus 6 outs since once you use 5 physical outs the mains default to the 6th voice. The money saved on the additional jack/design etc could have been used for something else or just to reduce costs.

I was hoping Dave or the Dev team might have some input on this. I am sure there must be a logical reason for the design.

I would pay for an upgrade to make the voices switchable so I dont put any unnecessary wear and tear on the jacks by constantly switching jacks in and out.

I am trying to have 5 voices out used with mains but sometimes I like the master fx across the whole track or because the voice allocation system is smarter than the way I program which allow for more sounds in a beat.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »
I am trying to have 5 voices out used with mains but sometimes I like the master fx across the whole track or because the voice allocation system is smarter than the way I program which allow for more sounds in a beat.

It's mainly a PITA for me when I want to use the Tempest as a polysynth - as I did yesterday for something I was working on.

I tend to have my internal mixer set up for the individual voice outs anyway (everything panned fully left, levels all maxed) so if I just switch to putting everything through the main outs it sounds like ass anyway!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher