Tempest 3 oscillator bass

Tempest 3 oscillator bass
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
I see in the manual oscillator 3&4 have drum samples..are there digital waves like saw, square, triangle to do 3 or 4 oscillator bass? Is there a list of the non drum samples for the digital oscillators?

Tx,

N.

Re: Tempest 3 oscillator bass
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
I see in the manual oscillator 3&4 have drum samples..are there digital waves like saw, square, triangle to do 3 or 4 oscillator bass? Is there a list of the non drum samples for the digital oscillators?

Tx,

N.

Manual, page 30:

The Digital Oscillators

Sample: Off, sample name 1, sample name 2, …—Tempest contains
several hundred sampled sounds, including different types of noise, acoustic
drums and percussion, classic analog and digital drum machines, effects, and the
single-cycle waves from the Prophet VS. The sample format is 16-bit, 44.1kHz,
mono. *For a complete list of samples, see “Samples” on page 80.

Manual, pages 83 and 84:

Sine 130.81 Hz
Sine
Sawtooth
Square...

And 96 more wave forms... Ahem!

Reading comprehension (wink).

Cheers!

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Actually, you can get some really great bass sounds with the Tempest. It's one of its secret weapons in my opinion. While you can have a 3 or even 4 oscillator (as in traditional sine, triangle, square, saw wave) bass, it is possible to utilize the drum samples creatively to get a nice sounding attack going.

Older organs have that key 'click' that helps define them-- and it's often considered as a feature that you can turn on or off. With the Tempest, not only can you create a 'click', but you can also control the timbre of it!

It is also worth noting that oscillators 3 & 4 have a separate routing to the filter that allows one to mix the non-filtered sound wit the filtered sound, so you can have analog oscillators affected by the filter and digital oscillators completely unaffected (or however much you want!). Not only that, but since the Tempest has 4 envelopes, you can give oscillators 3 and 4 their own separate envelopes.

Food for thought, anyways ;)

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »

Tx,

N.

Manual, page 30:

The Digital Oscillators

Sample: Off, sample name 1, sample name 2, …—Tempest contains
several hundred sampled sounds, including different types of noise, acoustic
drums and percussion, classic analog and digital drum machines, effects, and the
single-cycle waves from the Prophet VS. The sample format is 16-bit, 44.1kHz,
mono. *For a complete list of samples, see “Samples” on page 80.

Manual, pages 83 and 84:

Sine 130.81 Hz
Sine
Sawtooth
Square...

And 96 more wave forms... Ahem!

Reading comprehension (wink).

Cheers!

I looked at the list on page 80. Most of the names on there are pretty vague. What is "BRR"? A snare?  A bass? Anyway, if I can use a digital oscillator with the analog ones and destine them..that's good enough for me! Then if I want to get brutal I'll just add some sub oscillator.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 12:40:01 AM »
Anyway, if I can use a digital oscillator with the analog ones and destine them..that's good enough for me! Then if I want to get brutal I'll just add some sub oscillator.

Yes, you can use both analog oscillators, both digital oscillators, and the sub oscillator all simultaneously, in any combination, tuned to different intervals, detuned from each other, and individually modulated and to any degree...

Cheers!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:24:13 AM »
I see in the manual oscillator 3&4 have drum samples..are there digital waves like saw, square, triangle to do 3 or 4 o

The samples are generally in groups so if you have a sample alongside other snare samples it'll be another snare sample.

If you hold 'shift' whilst scrolling through the sample list you jump to the start of each 'group'.

The 'tuned' samples are at the end of the list - I think they start with a sine wave sample which is incredibly useful for kicks.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Novem

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Cool..thanks for the tips.

N.