Sequencer Tips & Tricks?

Sequencer Tips & Tricks?
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
Can anyone post any OB-6 tips and tricks for the sequencer? I've been having fun playing around with it, but I'm noticing that the melodies I play in while recording a sequence never seem to remain the same when the synth plays them back to me. What am I doing wrong? I've watched the one video that exists so far on the OB-6 sequencer on youtube and it really hasn't helped much.

Re: Sequencer Tips & Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:39:48 PM »
Can anyone post any OB-6 tips and tricks for the sequencer? I've been having fun playing around with it, but I'm noticing that the melodies I play in while recording a sequence never seem to remain the same when the synth plays them back to me. What am I doing wrong? I've watched the one video that exists so far on the OB-6 sequencer on youtube and it really hasn't helped much.

How are they different when they play back?  Can you post some recordings so we can hear?  If the notes are the same but they feel different when you play them in vs playback, I would suspect it has to do with your envelopes; you could very well be playing them one way, but the sequencer is flattening them all to playback another way.  Without hearing it though or having more details it's really hard to say.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
sorry about the delayed response...I am new to REAL synths....so maybe I'm doing somethng super obviously wrong, but the issue is that I play a simple pattern and when I go to play it back, it's totally the same notes, but the rhythm is totally not the same as I played it in. If I try using the value knob to get the originally played pattern, I can get close but it's not the same. make sense?

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Just a guess here but I'm thinking it is the auto quantize that happens when you record a sequence.
The Sequencer has 64 steps. It automatically puts the notes you play on the nearest 16th or 8th notes. Or, more simply put, it places the notes on the next available step.  Try recording something simple in 4/4 using 16ths or 8ths. If the Sequencer plays it back in double time (twice as fast) set the clock division to half of what you have. If it plays back half as slow, double the clock division setting. You are pretty much stuck with timing options they give you. (half, quarter, 8th D, 8th, etc...) Remember, there is no metronome so you are the metronome. Become the metronome.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:18:32 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
You need to enter rests and ties for your sequence otherwise it will play straight quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc.. notes based on what you have your settings on. Here is a really good tutorial:

https://youtu.be/mam_f1RwzSg

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Biggest Tip I could make is to DSI directly....   

DSI:  Can you please allow the sequencer to be played like on PO8 or PEK sequencer without needing to hold down a button with one hand while doing it???  Obviously the instrument brain it's capable of doing so, but I'm going thru a lot of duct tape holding down the record button to make this sequencer useable to change chords :-\
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
Problem solved...well sort of.  I knew I saved that Alesis Micron for a reason ;).  I now midi cable that to the OB6 and play whatever patterns I can dream up into it.  As long as the Alesis is next to the OB6 then simple one finger key changes are possible and soloing simultaneously on OB6 is also possible.

Those unfamiliar with the Micron...it had a pattern recorder you can use as a sequencer.  It records real time as you play (not stepped).  It transmits both notes, your timing and velocity.     
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1