Panning issue

drc

Panning issue
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »
When go into the mixer and pan a sound, any sound, hard right, it stays centered in the stereo field. When I pan hard left, sounds disappear. Help please.

Re: Panning issue
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 01:51:49 AM »
You know that the voice outs are 12 right?That means if you plug a stereo TRS cable on voice out 1 and hard pan on left it goes out from 1 and hard right from 2.I suggest you should check your cables you need something like this:
When go into the mixer and pan a sound, any sound, hard right, it stays centered in the stereo field. When I pan hard left, sounds disappear. Help please.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:37:23 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

drc

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply. At the moment, I am not recording, so simply using the stereo outs. Shouldn't panning work in this setup?

drc

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
So let me see if I'm comprehending this... Let's say I have a simple beat consisting of kick, snare, hat. If I want to use the voice outs (I know it's just 3 sounds, but for the sake of the argument, let's just say I want to use the voice outs), I would, for example, assign kick to v1, snare to v2, hat to v3. Now assuming I want the kick to be centered, can I use a single TRS out since I don't wish to pan it? And let's say I want to pan snare a bit to the left, hat to the right...for those, I'd connect an insert (y) cable on each with TRS out of the Tempest to 2 TR's? Or must every voice out regardless of intent to pan or not be a TRS to 2 TS cable?

And secondly, if I want to just use the main stereo outs instead, how do I get panning to function?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:00:46 PM by drc »

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
If you assign a sound to a voice that voice disconnects from the mains.That's how voice allocation works in T..For the shake of understanding here's how voices work.Voice 1 (1+2),voice 2 (3+4),voice 3 (5+6),voice 4 (7+8),voice 5 (9+10),voice 6 (11+12)..So if you want your kick to be mono you have to use that cable i've posted ^,assign it to voice 1,hard pan to the left and plug the left output to your audio interface.Instant dead center as you've described it..Now by plugging the right output to your interface you can assign of course another sound to voice 1 and by hard panning it to right you have another mono sound to control individually from your interface.
If you want to make a sound stereo simply plug both L+R output to your audio interface and assign only that sound to the specific voice..That's it!
Maybe i should post this to the operational tips & tricks thread for any new users to learn how T's voices work.
So let me see if I'm comprehending this... Let's say I have a simple beat consisting of kick, snare, hat. If I want to use the voice outs (I know it's just 3 sounds, but for the sake of the argument, let's just say I want to use the voice outs), I would, for example, assign kick to v1, snare to v2, hat to v3. Now assuming I want the kick to be centered, can I use a single TRS out since I don't wish to pan it? And let's say I want to pan snare a bit to the left, hat to the right...for those, I'd connect an insert (y) cable on each with TRS out of the Tempest to 2 TR's? Or must every voice out regardless of intent to pan or not be a TRS to 2 TS cable?

And secondly, if I want to just use the main stereo outs instead, how do I get panning to function?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:38:36 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

drc

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »
Much appreciated - makes perfect sense! I'll get myself a handful of these TRS to 2 TR insert cables. Now if I just want to use the main outs (no individual voices), how does panning work? I understand the T assigns sounds, making use of the six available, but how can I make use of panning with just the main outs? Cheers again for all the assistance!

And for use with the 6 outs, just to be certain, would this suit? http://cdn3.volusion.com/hf5fr.yoez9/v/vspfiles/photos/16-M2934-TRS-TS-4-P-INS-2.jpg?1478183287
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:46:57 PM by drc »

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
Yes the snake cables will do..The main outs panning works normally.If a sound is not assigned (-) you can use the mixer pan with the softknob or the dedicated pan pot.
Much appreciated - makes perfect sense! I'll get myself a handful of these TRS to 2 TR insert cables. Now if I just want to use the main outs (no individual voices), how does panning work? I understand the T assigns sounds, making use of the six available, but how can I make use of panning with just the main outs? Cheers again for all the assistance!

And for use with the 6 outs, just to be certain, would this suit? http://cdn3.volusion.com/hf5fr.yoez9/v/vspfiles/photos/16-M2934-TRS-TS-4-P-INS-2.jpg?1478183287

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
To clarify my understanding...
The machine is 6 voice not actually 12 right?
So technically of not sequenced with care the following could technically happen:
- snare assigned to voice 1 hard panned left
- pad assigned to voice 1 hard panned right
IF the pad is sustained long enough the snare will not sound since the voice is still processing the pad's enlvp.

Additionally, a sound such as a snare may use feedback. Since feedback uses the left channel toncreate the sound then ifnyou assign a voice to the snare then the snare should have it's own voice period without any panning otherwise the sound itself will not be exactly as programmed being the the snare patch with feedback is the sum of both left and right.

Am I correct in this understanding?
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

drc

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
Thanks again, Yorgos. Truly appreciated. I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still not getting the main outs panning (your explanation of the individual voice outs makes perfect sense...that part I'm getting). If I connect the main outs (not utilizing voice outs - only the mains), single out the hat and go into the Tempest mixer screen and pan the hat far left, it disappears. If I pan it far right, it's centered. How do I get the hat (or whatever sound) to react normally to panning (left - center - right)?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:57:26 AM by drc »

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »
Yes you're correct..With careful programming and choking though you can go far with voices..
To clarify my understanding...
The machine is 6 voice not actually 12 right?
So technically of not sequenced with care the following could technically happen:
- snare assigned to voice 1 hard panned left
- pad assigned to voice 1 hard panned right
IF the pad is sustained long enough the snare will not sound since the voice is still processing the pad's enlvp.

Additionally, a sound such as a snare may use feedback. Since feedback uses the left channel toncreate the sound then ifnyou assign a voice to the snare then the snare should have it's own voice period without any panning otherwise the sound itself will not be exactly as programmed being the the snare patch with feedback is the sum of both left and right.

Am I correct in this understanding?

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
Then there's something wrong with your cables or your main outs..You should check it..
Thanks again, Yorgos. Truly appreciated. I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm still not getting the main outs panning (your explanation of the individual voice outs makes perfect sense...that part I'm getting). If I connect the main outs (not utilizing voice outs - only the mains), single out the hat and go into the Tempest mixer screen and pan the hat far left, it disappears. If I pan it far right, it's centered. How do I get the hat (or whatever sound) to react normally to panning (left - center - right)?

drc

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
It's not the cables. Any idea on how to check the main outs for issues?

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »
Ok let's take all the necessary steps first..Unplug all cables and calibrate..After connect cables only to your main outs (btw what type of cables are you using I'm guessing mono TS to mono TS) try to pan and see how it goes..
It's not the cables. Any idea on how to check the main outs for issues?

drc

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Agreed. I unplugged all cables last night and calibrated the drumpads, BUT, I'd never done this before so was concerned about what exactly that meant. So I didn't calibrate Sliders nor Osc & Filters. Should I do that as well? Yes, I am using mono TS to TS. I also updated to 1.4 last night. I am seeing OS is 1.4, Voice OS is version 1.2, Panel OS is 1.3, and Sam OS is 1.1. I believe Voice should be 1.4, so I'm guessing that didn't update properly? Might this have anything to do with it? I'm trying to give as much info here as possible since I'm a bit lost here...

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »
Ah that's the problem then...
I suggest you should update to the latest beta found here: http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html
And yes after updating you must always calibrate Osc's & filters and your Tempest should read OS 1.4.3.2b and Voice 1.5..
Agreed. I unplugged all cables last night and calibrated the drumpads, BUT, I'd never done this before so was concerned about what exactly that meant. So I didn't calibrate Sliders nor Osc & Filters. Should I do that as well? Yes, I am using mono TS to TS. I also updated to 1.4 last night. I am seeing OS is 1.4, Voice OS is version 1.2, Panel OS is 1.3, and Sam OS is 1.1. I believe Voice should be 1.4, so I'm guessing that didn't update properly? Might this have anything to do with it? I'm trying to give as much info here as possible since I'm a bit lost here...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:02:01 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

drc

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »
Why on earth is this not the latest update listed under "Support"??

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 11:33:58 PM »
Because it's a beta version...Don't you worry about that though
Why on earth is this not the latest update listed under "Support"??

drc

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
OK, makes sense.

drc

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »
Just downloaded successfully and calibrated everything. Panning is working properly!!! THANK YOU!

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »
Enjoy it!
Just downloaded successfully and calibrated everything. Panning is working properly!!! THANK YOU!