Korg ARP Odyssey Keyboard (Full Size)

Sacred Synthesis

Korg ARP Odyssey Keyboard (Full Size)
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
They're getting there.  If this is soon available in the US and the noted trigger issue is fixed, then there is another serious contender in the analog mono synth domain.  Picture from Matrixsynth.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:22:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Korg ARP Odyssey Keyboard (Full Size)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:18:23 PM »
Having never spent quality time with an original Odyssey, and being perfectly happy with the 86% version (for the price at which I got it), I did not know about this envelope trig issue until I searched it after reading your post - I just thought it must have been wonky on the original. I kinda wish I remained in ignorance.

In related news - Kraft is now blowing out the Rev II 86% version at $599.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
Sorry for the bad news.  I owned all three Odyssey versions years ago, and now I'm considering the purchase of one of these new models.  So, information on any flaws is top priority.  How would you describe the problem?

If you didn't see it already, here's another discussion on the triggering issue:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80956&start=15

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:11:16 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:55:41 AM »
It's definitely coming. I'm just curious about the price. Originally, I thought Korg would sell these as kits, just like they did it before with the MS-20. But the ad claims that these will be assembled in the US, which probably means that it's still going to be a kit that someone in New York is putting together for you before it goes on sale.
Anyway, the assemblage has to be paid for, just as the production of the full-sized components. The full-sized MS-20 kit was announced at about $1500 if I remember correctly. So I wouldn't be too surprised if this one ends up costing around two grand.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
It seems they'll be producing only a small number of these full-sized Odysseys, which is always frustrating for those of us who need to save up over some time in order to buy one.  But it's still exciting to know they will be offered.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »
Yeah, that's true. The thing is that the Odyssey reissue wasn't quite a smash hit; it didn't produce as much euphoria as the MS-20 Mini did. So from that perspective it makes sense to only offer a limited amount of full-sized Odysseys, given that they will also come at a higher price. Based on the latter, many will also compare them to more contemporary mono synths like the Pro 2 or the Sub 37, which of course offer far more features and are easier to embed in a modern studio in terms of MIDI control.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
I have to admit, I'm surprised the MS-20 has sold so well.  People like to make bizarre sounds with it, thanks to the little modular bay.  As it's been called, the "poor man's 2600."   But it certainly isn't too good for sweet warm melodic type sounds. The Odyssey is much better at musical tones, as well as all the bizarre sounds.  It also has the best filter sample and hold I've ever heard.  So, I'm surprised the Odyssey didn't sell better.  I'd still like to get one, but I don't know after just buying another Prophet '08 Module.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:00:37 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
I have to admit, I'm surprised the MS-20 has sold so well.  People like to make bizarre sounds with it, thanks to the little modular bay.  As it's been called, the "poor man's 2600."   But it certainly isn't too good for sweet warm melodic type sounds.

Well, it's mostly appreciated for being dirty and aggressive sounding, mostly due to its specific filter combination. It's one of those classic punk and early industrial synths that - amongst many Rolands back in the day - has been the antithesis to particular anything Moog-related, which only rich people could afford, at least in Europe. That's wherein part of its appeal lies.

The Odyssey is much better at musical tones, as well as all the bizarre sounds.  It also has the best filter sample and hold I've ever heard.  So, I'm surprised the Odyssey didn't sell better.  I'd still like to get one, but I don't know after just buying another Prophet '08 Module.

Funnily, the Odyssey was quite appealing to the punk crowd too because it can sound really mean and aggressive as well. And yes, it has a great S+H when directed to the filter. Maybe the MS-20 saturated the market a little, maybe it was because the Odyssey was almost twice as expensive when the reissue was released, dunno. I've also seen many people struggle with the interface because it can be quite confusing if you're used to the classic Moog-based panel layout. Although if there's anything confusing it's probably the patch bay of the MS-20.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
Although if there's anything confusing it's probably the patch bay of the MS-20.

Truth! (The flow seems to be more intuitive if you look in a mirror....)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 10:19:50 AM »
Although if there's anything confusing it's probably the patch bay of the MS-20.

Truth! (The flow seems to be more intuitive if you look in a mirror....)

;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:54 AM »
That's great news, except for one thing - those horribly profane words, "limited edition."  That means, if you haven't the money either now or soon, you can forget about it.  Well, perhaps it will be "limited" for a long time.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »
Sonic State adds this bit of information:

"Korg tells us that only a small number of each is being produced so you may have to get in quick."

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
That's great news, except for one thing - those horribly profane words, "limited edition."  That means, if you haven't the money either now or soon, you can forget about it.  Well, perhaps it will be "limited" for a long time.

I would be surprised if they produce more than 1000 of each model (which would already be a lot); my guess is rather 500 each. But I still think that it won't sell out over night. The price might not be bad, but it's also not cheap, especially when you compare it to other instruments in a similar category, which includes the Sub 37, the Dominion 1, and the Pro 2 to name a view. So my guess is that they won't sell like hot cakes. Most people might also not be willing to pay $1,000 extra just for a version with a full-sized keyboard. I think in that regard the module is already the best deal out there. Plus: You don't really get any enhanced functionality in terms of MIDI specs and all that. And you really only buy this for the particular ARP sound (of the latest Odyssey revisions), which is also not for everyone.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
True.  I was thinking the module would be a much better and smarter deal as well.  But there's nothing like a total synthesizer, keyboard and panel.  It's more enjoyable and feels more musical to play a complete instrument, rather than a string of boxes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:56:29 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
Sonic State adds this bit of information:

"Korg tells us that only a small number of each is being produced so you may have to get in quick."

If you're getting nervous about that I suggest that you should try out a module first (and then send it back within 30 days) before you take the plunge or not. I'm saying that because sometimes our memory plays tricks on us, which can also lead to slightly distorted notions about instruments we once thought of as being desirable. I know you once owned one, but it would still be worth to double-check whether it would still mean the same to you in 2017.

This doesn't count much, I know, but I at least was not really overwhelmed by the reissue. I mean it sounds okay and all that and you can create some crazy stuff with the ring modulation. For me at least, it didn't have the same sonic authority as the SEMs or the Minimoog though. It may be due to the context of Korg's reissues, but I would place it closer to the MS-20 than any Moog or Oberheim. So to me it appeared as just another mono synth, but not as one of the mono synths if that makes sense.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
If you're getting nervous about that I suggest that you should try out a module first (and then send it back within 30 days) before you take the plunge or not. I'm saying that because sometimes our memory plays tricks on us, which can also lead to slightly distorted notions about instruments we once thought of as being desirable. I know you once owned one, but it would still be worth to double-check whether it would still mean the same to you in 2017.

It's the truth and I've experienced it myself.  We tend to idealize or romanticize our past, and the things we remember so fondly were not really so perfect.  I've been surprised at my own modern preferences in instruments, which are now quite different what they had been and what I still expect them to be.  One has to make very objective judgments about instruments, without too much sentimental attachment to the past.  Simply, does the instrument do what you need it to do or not?  Period.  Cold, practical, and logical.

I was listening to some Oberheim Two-Voice Pro videos last night.  They're starting to appear in numbers now.  It has a very impressive sound - huge, fat, warm, and beautiful.  Just gorgeous PWM.  I would certainly put it in the Moog sonic category.  The Odyssey I would put in a lighter thinner category, along with the Prophet '08.  But I've (surprisingly) come to appreciate that slightly thinner quality, since it suits the sort of layering of sounds that I constantly use.  The classic immense analog tone is great for single layers, but seemingly not for multiple layers, which can loose their clarity.  This view is a change for me.  So, I can better appreciate now both types of instruments.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:34:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
I was also thinking about your standard stereo setup. Achieving that with two Odysseys demands quite archaic means for any adjustment, especially if you wanna be precise (not precise in the sense of zero oscillator beating, but in the sense of "this is about the same sound on both channels"). It's certainly doable, but also a bit cumbersome. Not because the Odyssey is an overly complicated synth, but there's no poly-chaining option nor any more modern advantage, so you'd basically end up working on a sound on two machines simultaneously without being able to save anything. While the latter is not really a big deal on old analog synths, which are simple enough to make quick changes here and there anyway, I'm just wondering whether that wouldn't collide with how you would usually work and perform. Because it seems to me that you prepare everything very carefully to guarantee a very seamless performance in the end (in terms of sound and playability). If you'd be a live tweaker, who also wouldn't care too much about whether you play and record a solo voice in stereo or not, that would be different. In that regard the context matters a lot, especially if one is interested in these reissues.