Korg ARP Odyssey Keyboard (Full Size)

Re: Korg ARP Odyssey Keyboard (Full Size)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
I was listening to some Oberheim Two-Voice Pro videos last night.  They're starting to appear in numbers now.  It has a very impressive sound - huge, fat, warm, and beautiful.  Just gorgeous PWM.  I would certainly put it in the Moog sonic category.  The Odyssey I would put in a lighter thinner category, along with the Prophet '08.  But I've (surprisingly) come to appreciate that slightly thinner quality, since it suits the sort of layering of sounds that I constantly use.  The classic immense analog tone is great for single layers, but seemingly not for multiple layers, which can loose their clarity.  This view is a change for me.  So, I can better appreciate now both types of instruments.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The Odyssey is definitely thinner. As for the layering: I don't necessarily think that a solo voice would get in the way too much, especially since your improvisations usually contain no more than three basic layers: you have a bass voice, a pad or two, and a solo voice. That still allows for enough space and clarity. Plus: even the big sounding synths can sound lyrical or be used for more pastoral shades. In most cases it's even just a question of adjusting the internal signal level. And as you're using a mixer anyway, you can also always adjust its EQ settings for the according channels here and there. And then there's of course any use of reverb that will also help in shaping the sound.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
I know, I know.  The Odyssey just doesn't look like the right instrument for the reasons you've mentioned.  The lack of memory and MIDI Out would result in major clumsiness for seamless performances of pieces.  I found it to be true with the Voyager Old School as well.  Great instruments, but they just don't work for me.  I had intended to experiment with controlling an Odyssey module with my upper Prophet '08.  I think that would be a decent use of it, so that remains a possibility.  But since I just (happily) spent my 2017 synthesizer money on a second P'08 Module, I'm left with selling something to afford something else.  Until I see an instrument that really strikes me, I'll continue with my present set up.  I mean, think of the regret that could come from selling a Poly Evolver Keyboard in mint condition for something new but unsatisfactory!  Probably only DSI is the likely company to produce something sufficient.  If they come out with a poly synth with the right architecture, then I'm ready and willing to sell, but not until.  I'm quite hoping in DSI and anticipating good future news, as always.

I'm still half-intending to create an ideal mono synth, something founded on a superb instrument like the Pro 2 or Minimoog, and supplemented by a module or two.  It has to have a superb analog quality, but also offer some digital waveshapes.  But this may have to instead come through my upper Prophet '08.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:09:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »

Yeah, I see what you mean. The Odyssey is definitely thinner. As for the layering: I don't necessarily think that a solo voice would get in the way too much, especially since your improvisations usually contain no more than three basic layers: you have a bass voice, a pad or two, and a solo voice. That still allows for enough space and clarity. Plus: even the big sounding synths can sound lyrical or be used for more pastoral shades. In most cases it's even just a question of adjusting the internal signal level. And as you're using a mixer anyway, you can also always adjust its EQ settings for the according channels here and there. And then there's of course any use of reverb that will also help in shaping the sound.

But I'm trying to increase the layering in both mono and poly patches.  It's true that the mono patches are not as much of a concern as the poly, but I'm trying to stretch out a bit in both directions, while maintaining clarity.  So far, though, the Prophet '08 has served me exceptionally well in both capacities.  The layer mode combined with the B Output option makes creating stereo-imaged mono patches a snap, and they're not too dense even in the lower registers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:07:51 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »
I agree, you should especially not sell one of your PEKs for a reissued Odyssey - not even if it was twice the size.

Look at it that way: You've adjusted your setup to your needs and it just works as it is. No GAS, no problems.  ;D
And I think you can be sure that if something comes around that could potentially pique your interest, you'll know that right away. Who knows? It might even be happening this or next year, as DSI are still very eager to release more synths in the coming years. Supposing that we can expect more synths with flagship status than ever before, they will most likely increase the variety of instruments.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »
I'm not aware of any GAS problems.  :-[  But is hoping for a new ideal instrument considered a symptom?  ;D

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
I'm not aware of any GAS problems.  :-[  But is hoping for a new ideal instrument considered a symptom?  ;D

It's probably closest related to eschatology.    ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »
An end times synthesizer?  If there were such a thing, it would surely be called a Prophet!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:11:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
There you go.

LoboLives

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »
Looks like it'll have the same over hanging keys like the original had...yikes. I actually shudder every time I see those.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
Looks like it'll have the same over hanging keys like the original had...yikes. I actually shudder every time I see those.

Keys that are hanging over: yes, to some degree. But if I remember correctly that was only an issue of the 3rd revision. However, all of the reissued models have the same kind of enclosing housing (the bottom part that also consists of the side panels, or the "tub", however you'd like to name it) the first two original revisions used to have. So it's not exactly free hanging keys. They're still protected from underneath. In that sense, the reissue of revision 3 looks like anything but the original.

See pictures below.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:05:06 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »

The re-issue uses that wrap-around plastic case, which the old Mk III didn't have.  The new version seems fairly protected; with the old version, you had to constantly look out for snapping off keys.

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »
I hope that Korg really brings the ARP name back. Leave all the Minikeys and things for the Korg brand name and have ARP be a top brand alongside Moog and Sequential. I would have liked to have seen more than just the Odyssey being looked at. Bring the Chroma, the Axxe, String Machines, Quadra back as well. Perhaps this is just testing the waters. I dunno, it's just little things like the ARP Odyssey desktop...it would have been cool if they called it the ARP Avatar since essentially the Avatars were Odyssey modules except with a useless guitar interface.

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »
I think currently most synth nerds would be happy to see a reissued 2600. There was this Reddit event with a representative of Korg (in November I think), where he said that something of that size would be unlikely to happen though. He agreed with it being cool, but not really compatible with the general mass market goals, since even a shrunken 2600 would still be significantly more expensive than the small Odysseys (which had to be lowered in price subsequently) or the MS-20 minis. But as far as iconic synths go, this would be the most likely one to follow. Maybe they'll just look and see how well the limited FS run will sell and base any future decisions on that. Maybe the ARP brand will become a sort of boutique store for limited reissue runs.

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »
I think currently most synth nerds would be happy to see a reissued 2600. There was this Reddit event with a representative of Korg (in November I think), where he said that something of that size would be unlikely to happen though. He agreed with it being cool, but not really compatible with the general mass market goals, since even a shrunken 2600 would still be significantly more expensive than the small Odysseys (which had to be lowered in price subsequently) or the MS-20 minis. But as far as iconic synths go, this would be the most likely one to follow. Maybe they'll just look and see how well the limited FS run will sell and base any future decisions on that. Maybe the ARP brand will become a sort of boutique store for limited reissue runs.

2600 reissues usually go for what? $2500-$3500? I think that's perfectly reasonable if Korg were to price it at that. Even if it's a limited run. I still want my Quadra reissue tho ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
I'm a Quadra fan as well - and 2600, and Omni....

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »
I'm probably the only one hoping they don't announce a 2600 reissue at Namm as I just hot hold of a TTSH kit to build!

dslsynth

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
I'm probably the only one hoping they don't announce a 2600 reissue at Namm as I just hot hold of a TTSH kit to build!

Congratulations! Hope you will enjoy it. Know someone who build himself a TTSH and are to the best of my knowledge he is still appreciating it.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

chysn

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »

Even if they do, the build quality of the TTSH will be better.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
Congratulations! Hope you will enjoy it. Know someone who build himself a TTSH and are to the best of my knowledge he is still appreciating it.

I have lusted after one for a long time now, I'm definitely going to enjoy it :)

Even if they do, the build quality of the TTSH will be better.

I guess you have't seen my soldering ;)

To get back into practice I'm building the Klee that I have had sitting around for years, waiting for the eurorack front panel kit from synth cube to arrive to finish it off: http://synthcube.com/cart/klee-sequencer-full-kit-euro?search=klee&description=true

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 05:05:41 AM »
Let's just start with a real bargain: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/152393478225?roken=cUgayN