Finally Evolved! ;D

chysn

Re: Finally Evolved! ;D
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
I'm only staying on the off-topic Richard Devine topic because the original poster engaged with it.

I was previously unfamiliar with his work, but I like Devine's experimental nature. There are times when he's clearly coming from more of a DJ tradition, with conventional tonalism and EDM beats, and I get a bit bored by that; but he's at his best when he's working with generative patches. I don't think he's got the mastery of timbre that Subotnick has. And I prefer to see music done with small systems rather than enormous systems. It's harder, but not impossible, to do generative patching with small systems. But overall, there's stuff I can enjoy and learn from.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 12:00:25 AM »
Speaking of generative patching, and nudging back to the Evolver, the Evolver does have some good potential for generative music, due to its many LFOs and sequencers. It won't be the Rube Goldberg machine of a modular synth, because the routings are eventually dead ends, but you can certainly point it in that direction if you're so inclined.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 02:06:27 PM »
One of the reasons why I linked to the Richard Devine video above was the idea of doing something similar with the Evolver. Guess its gotta be using the tuned feedback. And yeah, generative music can be fun!

Would have been so nice if the Evolver had left/right feedback frequency/level modulation destinations!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
If you're looking for more musical examples, many of the short video clips he posts on his Instagram feed are quite pleasant:

https://www.instagram.com/richarddevine/?hl=en

Been waiting for him to approve my Instagram follow request so I can actually listen to these...