Prophet 08 Ribbon Controller

Prophet 08 Ribbon Controller
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with connecting a ribbon controller to the P08 or know if it is even possible? 

Also, greetings everyone; I'm new here but have gleaned so much information already from you fellas I should give a little thanks in advance too!   :)  -Lonnie

Re: Prophet 08 Ribbon Controller
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
I know there's no specific connection for one on my Prophet, so I guess it would have to be connected via MIDI.  I see Doepfer makes one called the R2M which I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it would work...?

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
No reason the R2M wouldn't work. It outputs standard MIDI messages. You'd just assign it to whatever CC you want to control on the P08. Or it can output note data as well.

panic

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:44:21 AM »
Does the fact that the pitch changes in semitones, and not fluidly, when you change the osc pitch settings give any problems? Using a ribbon you would like things to glide perfectly. I am not sure if this is possible...

panic

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
That's only the knob behavior of course, wasn't thinking it through. No, I guess it should work. Pretty tempted to try it out myself.

Does the fact that the pitch changes in semitones, and not fluidly, when you change the osc pitch settings give any problems? Using a ribbon you would like things to glide perfectly. I am not sure if this is possible...

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
Unless the ribbon controller's midi output can be made interpolate the 'meta' pitch between the notes by adding pitch bend messages or similar, using the controller to produces midi notes will create a glissando effect where the pitch will step in semitones.
I've seen ChipAudett's post in the P6 section. He developed a system where the note on data is sent when the ribbon is touched (so the ribbon is divided into fixed notes covering about 2.5 octaves) Pitch bend data is sent as you slide from that note position on the ribbon. Pitch bend range will obviously limit how far you can slide. Also you'll have to use a sound with good sustain level, because once it's triggered (at first press) you won't get another trigger until you lift off your finger and press again.
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

panic

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 12:19:30 PM »
Unless the ribbon controller's midi output can be made interpolate the 'meta' pitch between the notes by adding pitch bend messages or similar, using the controller to produces midi notes will create a glissando effect where the pitch will step in semitones.
I've seen ChipAudett's post in the P6 section. He developed a system where the note on data is sent when the ribbon is touched (so the ribbon is divided into fixed notes covering about 2.5 octaves) Pitch bend data is sent as you slide from that note position on the ribbon. Pitch bend range will obviously limit how far you can slide. Also you'll have to use a sound with good sustain level, because once it's triggered (at first press) you won't get another trigger until you lift off your finger and press again.

You are right about the fact that using the ribbon to send midi notes would result in glissando, and not a fluid glide. But there might be workarounds. You already discribe one: what you describe about using it to control pitchbend is possible with the doepfer according to the manual, but indeed limits you to the pitchbend range of the prophet.

There might be other possibilities, but I can't try them out. You can turn off oscillator keyboard tracking on the prophet, and I suppose (not verified) this also turns off midi-note tracking. The doepfer can be configured to send cc-messages as well. If it can send a note on and other messages simultaneously, you could assign it to the midi-control number for osc frequency. But even if this works, it will be harder to play in tune, and the effect will depend upon the midi-resolution. Perhaps using the pedal/cv input, in combination with midi-note triggers could work.

I know, a lot of ifs. Somebody would have to try it out to confirm...

Edit: Maybe I am way overthinking this. Turning on oscillator glide and using the doepfer for midi note  messages might just work smoothly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:33:29 PM by panic »

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
The Doepfer R2M does send pitch bend messages for in-between notes. You can read all about it in the manual:

http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/R2M_man.pdf

I used to have one and it worked great with my P12. I sold it once I got a Linnstrument.