Question about voice out/CV (or none MIDI based sequencing/recording)

LoboLives

I'm really interested in non Midi assisted recording. I was speaking with Carson from DSI and while the Tempest does have CV capabilities the work around is you use one of the voice outs and create a "transient attack" and from there you put that into your CV input of your sequencer. While you would have to sacrifice one of the voices to drive it but it is possible.

Another interesting thing I discovered (which I learned from an old Vangelis interview) is if you are overdubbing a sequence you can record this "transient sound" on a single track and then during the overdub you take the output of your mixer (with the respective track) and it can drive the sequencer. It's cranky but it does work.

Just curious if anyone else tries to do any non Midi based recording and curious about other work arounds for such a thing.

chysn

Re: Question about voice out/CV (or none MIDI based sequencing/recording)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
I do sort of the opposite: I create a MIDI track of 8th notes, and send that track to my Little Phatty via Reaper, then I use the gate out to clock my modular. It means that my modular doesn't require its own MIDI interface.

You could do something similar if you're working in a DAW. That way, you don't need to give up one of your Tempest voices. If you're overdubbing, there's a lot more flexibility in how you sync things up.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
I do sort of the opposite: I create a MIDI track of 8th notes, and send that track to my Little Phatty via Reaper, then I use the gate out to clock my modular. It means that my modular doesn't require its own MIDI interface.

You could do something similar if you're working in a DAW. That way, you don't need to give up one of your Tempest voices. If you're overdubbing, there's a lot more flexibility in how you sync things up.

I've been avoiding using a computer to record. There's something pretty liberating from it. I've actually be interested in recording direct to tape and then mixing it down to an SD card for later mastering.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »

I've been avoiding using a computer to record. There's something pretty liberating from it. I've actually be interested in recording direct to tape and then mixing it down to an SD card for later mastering.

I'd like to try that as well and easier on the eyes....not to mention a big reel to reel would look cool in the studio too ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
I record directly to CD, taking the signal straight from my analog mixer.  It's simple and sounds good.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
Zoom R16 here.  8 in's, 2 out's.  Works just like an old tape multitrack, arm it by pressing record then press play.  Rewind after recording and mixdown to a master stereo track.
It has effects that I've never even tried but I do use the 3band eq for each track with sweepable mids.
No way to sync to my MIDI clock devices, but I don't overdub, it's one pass and that's it (well if I stuff-up, like forgetting to turn up an effect on cue, it's two passes).
Multiple R16's can be stacked and synced for greater simultaneous track recording.  I'm getting a second (actually the R24) this month so I can do drums on one and other instruments on the other.
24bit/44.1KHz in standalone mode. First recording I made with it was my old flatmate playing acoustic guitar in the lounge with it's inbuilt mics.  Sounded enough like the real thing that he wanted a copy.

Tape (cassette) is nice and romantic, like using candles for dining.  I used to use it when that was all I could afford and insisted that it made everything sound 'warm'.  It does sound nicer than the early digital, but at the expense of clarity.  My recordings in digital sound so much better than my tapes.  I don't need to drive the highs and lows to get good representation of the highs and lows on play-back and my wallet is heavier in the long run from not having to buy expensive one-use cassettes with a recording time of 22min 30sec in high resolution.  I really don't trust that the tapes I made at the turn of the century will playback more than once now too.
Never had the luxury of recording to reel, I had one at one stage but couldn't get stock for it!