Pro 2 Main OS 1.1.15 (beta)

Re: Pro 2 Main OS 1.1.15 (beta)
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »
I posted a picture of the included changelog (printed on paper) here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206858580077870&l=bad49f51b8

The link doesn't seem to work - at least not for everybody. Facebook says, "The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."

Could you maybe attach the photo in a post?

GBP

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
Maybe you have to be member in the DSI Pro 2-Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719776201445367/

I could photograph it in a couple of minutes again.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
Maybe you have to be member in the DSI Pro 2-Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719776201445367/

I could photograph it in a couple of minutes again.

Ah, I see. I've just sent a request. Thanks.

GBP

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 12:11:38 PM »
Thanks a lot, Stefan!

blewis

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
I still don't understand how production OSes are getting quietly released and not mentioned.

1.1.15 is still sending MIDI control messages from the ribbon sliders when set to OFF in the global menu.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 07:11:21 AM »
I still don't understand how production OSes are getting quietly released and not mentioned.

Agreed. Surely if something is ready enough to go into production synths then it's ready for download.

Maybe DSI could comment on this as from an end-user perspective it's quite a confusing situation?

sofine

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »
I have 1.2.0.2 installed on mine, having bought it from the UK a few months ago.

While it seems to have a few new features, it also has quite a few bugs, includnig some that cause the Pro2 to crash  :( >:( ::)

It would indeed be good to get clarification, and even better, an idea of when we might expect a new release OS  8)

Agreed. Surely if something is ready enough to go into production synths then it's ready for download.

Maybe DSI could comment on this as from an end-user perspective it's quite a confusing situation?

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
What a colossal disappointment DSI has made out of this potentially great instrument. 

Plenty of time to release new synths and modules, but years later still can't be bothered to finish the Pro2 OS.   >:(

blewis

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Plenty of time to release new synths and modules, but years later still can't be bothered to finish the Pro2 OS.   >:(

I don't get it. I took 9 months to get the first round of bug fixes. That beta is over 6 months old. I would suspect a v1.2 might just be a production version of the beta they released 6 months ago, but a 1.2.0.2 suggests other bug fixes (unless they're merged from the beta branch?).

But they're not even updating the PDF on their site.... they print them... on paper... but can't update a link on the site?

Strange behavior. And I'm not suggesting any conspiracy, it's just I haven't seen other companies do this.

Owners shouldn't have to ask for screen shoots of printed manuals.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:07:51 PM by blewis »

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
They now have addendum PDF for 1.2.0.2 on their website.

My disappointment was the lack of linear FM capability for all the oscillators, they implemented that on prophet 12 but not on Pro2 again. Linear FM can be great even on a mono-synth, or a paraphonic synth powerful as Pro2.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:24:18 PM by NemoSynth »
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
The 1.2.0.2 OS is very similar to the 1.1.15 OS, it's just the production version so not much you haven't already seen. We intend to revisit the Pro 2 OS in the coming months, though.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
They now have addendum PDF for 1.2.0.2 on their website.

My disappointment was the lack of linear FM capability for all the oscillators, they implemented that on prophet 12 but not on Pro2 again. Linear FM can be great even on a mono-synth, or a paraphonic synth powerful as Pro2.

Well, there are a couple of features that have been taken into consideration. Amongst them were linear FM, paraphonic sequencer mode, and alternative tunings. The latter had once been implemented, but didn't fully work yet, so it had been erased from consecutive OS versions. If I'm correct, there had been no news or comments about a paraphoic sequencer mode in ages. And the last statement on linear FM was that it's not certain whether the processor power will be sufficient.

sofine

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:46 PM »
I have received the same standard response from DSI about when to expect an update for the Pro2, that it will be in the coming months, but that was 2 months ago. I do hope it's coming. I do hope they don't take another few months.

I own a tempest (and a p6), and the tempest has been ignored for a long, long time. Check out the other DSI forum to see how bad that has been. Fingers crossed that the team are allowed time to spend on the Pro2 development and that it doesn't befall the same fate as the wonderful Tempest.

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »
I have received the same standard response from DSI about when to expect an update for the Pro2, that it will be in the coming months, but that was 2 months ago. I do hope it's coming. I do hope they don't take another few months.

I own a tempest (and a p6), and the tempest has been ignored for a long, long time. Check out the other DSI forum to see how bad that has been. Fingers crossed that the team are allowed time to spend on the Pro2 development and that it doesn't befall the same fate as the wonderful Tempest.

It's like walking a tightrope.  ;)

Seriously though: I haven't had the time yet to fully check the latest OS. There were a couple of remaining bugs to be fixed. (As there is no current change log documented on here, I always find the details hard to remember after a while.) Most of the other stuff goes back to additional feature requests, which makes a difference, since those are to be regarded as a bonus somehow. I think for the ease of use, most heavy sequencer users might regard the paraphonic sequencer mode as being the most urgent option if one can classify an additional feature this way. All I'm aware of is that the options I named above have been considered, but that alone is no guarantee yet. This has been especially addressed with regard to the linear FM option.

Taking into account what has been released most recently and the fact that the DSI crew is also working on a desktop version of the OB-6 and something completely new for the end of this year or the beginning of the next year, it's probably realistic to estimate a time frame from the coming summer to the next Winter NAMM.

sofine

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 02:27:48 AM »
I do appreciate the pressures that continual new product development and release can bring to a small team. On the other hand, I would expect DSI to spare a moments thought for those who have buggy, unfinished products (the proceeds of which are funding DSI's new products) and try to balance their resources a bit better.

To me, standing all the way over here, I would have thought hiring an additional programmer to assist Chris with the various firmwares would cover all bases. It would keep current customers happy and reduce the not-insignificant bad word of mouth that is popping up in all the usual internetsy places.

It is a testament to their synths that I have continued to buy their products (most recently a P6) despite a snail's pace of bug fixes / OS upgrades, so I really wish they would spend a few dollars on bulking up their programming resources. I find it hard to believe the funds are not there to do this. So it must come down to Dave's (or a financial advisor) strategy / business ideology, to squeeze every last breath out of the current resources available.

Also, getting back to the point at hand (!), there are quite a few mod destinations visible, but greyed out, in my OS. Surely these are promised features that are committed to be part of the product - so where are they, years after release? The more I think about it, the more parallels I see with the Tempest fiasco. Anyway, I'm going in circles now  ;)

TLDR: DSI, fix the Pro2 for summer please. Don't go down the Tempest rabbithole. Reinvest some of your profit into hiring an additional programmer, and then, keep making fantastic synths.

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 03:46:24 AM »
Concerning the greyed out seq destinations, they do actually work. No idea why they are greyed out.

sofine

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 04:13:55 AM »
Concerning the greyed out seq destinations, they do actually work. No idea why they are greyed out.

In OS 1.2.0.2? I will most definitely give that a go tonight then. I'm quite sure that I was informed in a support email from DSI that they didn't, and that it was to be implemented in a later OS.

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 05:10:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure they do as I have used them to sequence external midi devices.

sofine

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure they do as I have used them to sequence external midi devices.

Well that sounds promising :)

Thanks Bob. 1 big bone for you.

Will defo give that a spin this evening