LFO to VCA level destination, noise problem

LFO to VCA level destination, noise problem
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:30:17 AM »
Hi guys,

I am creating a sound with a bouncing effect that uses the modulation of the VCA by the LFO using a rev saw shape.

After triggering the sound I can hear a continuous background sound associated with that voice and, I suppose, due to the VCA triggering by the LFO that persist also if the sound has a very short decay.
This background sound stops only if I activate simultaneously the 6 voices in order to steal the voice associated with that triggered sound.

There is any way to avoid this artifact? I know I can use a different approach for example using the delay to simulate the same bouncing effect, but then I will have some restrictions on the sound shaping possibilities.

Thanks, regards
Stefano

Re: LFO to VCA level destination, noise problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
Set up an additional envelope controlling the lfo amount...

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
Further to what Monocon said, if you're using the mod matrix, you just need to set up a second mod slot, mapping the amp envelope (or any envelope for that matter) to control the amount of whichever mod slot you used to map the LFO to the VCA.

Cheers!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
Actually, the best way to stop the 'artifact' is to modulate the AMP ENV AMOUNT parameter in place of the VCA LEVEL destination.  When the VCA is modulated, is will set the minimum amount that the VCA is opened on all voices regardless of the VCA envelope curve.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
Actually, the best way to stop the 'artifact' is to modulate the AMP ENV AMOUNT parameter in place of the VCA LEVEL destination.  When the VCA is modulated, is will set the minimum amount that the VCA is opened on all voices regardless of the VCA envelope curve.

Hmm... I've never thought to do that.  Good tip.

Cheers!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:00:26 PM »
Thanks guys what suggested by cbmd works very well, there is just to consider a different behavior of the envelope I have to use ADSR instead of the AD mode but it is OK

Regards

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:57 AM »
You may also get away with an AD envelope with ridiculously long peak hold - good for syncing the length of the effect to the track without having to worry about note durations.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
You may also get away with an AD envelope with ridiculously long peak hold - good for syncing the length of the effect to the track without having to worry about note durations.

Yes definitely better muleskinner, thanks guys... this machine is amazing!