DSM03 Early Impressions

chysn

Re: DSM03 Early Impressions
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »
A regular delay tracking at 1V/oct accidentally is probably really unlikely. Apparently there's a lot of math involved for those companies who are willing to grit their teeth over it. The Proton looks like the way to go if you really need it.

My only other experience with delay in euro was with the Synthrotek DLY. I didn't really like how the DLY responded, and sent it back after about a week.

Quote from: Steven Morris
Anyways, if I can, I'll test one out soon and see if I have different results than what has already been posted.

That would be surprising. DSI confirmed the behavior I experienced as expected operation, so if you get one that tracks with the filter open, there'd be bemusement all 'round.

So what am I using it for? It turns out that it's really versatile.

(1) Sequenced rhythms, in a couple different ways (with and without the triggered noise source)
(2) Faux reverb (providing a sense of space)
(3) Bell-like patches that sound more natural than ring-modulated sounds
(4) Accents with simulated struck surfaces

I've figured out that I can record video to QuickTime with my iPhone while recording audio with my audio interface, so tomorrow I'm going to start a series of videos each demonstrating a specific aspect of the DSM03. The first one will be a sequenced rhythm technique involving simultaneous modulation of Time and Cutoff Frequency. The variety from just those two controls plus modulation is substantial.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
I've figured out that I can record video to QuickTime with my iPhone while recording audio with my audio interface, so tomorrow I'm going to start a series of videos each demonstrating a specific aspect of the DSM03. The first one will be a sequenced rhythm technique involving simultaneous modulation of Time and Cutoff Frequency. The variety from just those two controls plus modulation is substantial.

Cool, really looking forward to seeing some of those demos :)

As a total aside, does your audio interface connect directly to your iPhone or is there some other way to coordinate the iPhone video with a Mac?

chysn

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
As a total aside, does your audio interface connect directly to your iPhone or is there some other way to coordinate the iPhone video with a Mac?

Yeah, if there's one terrible idea in this world, it's asking me for video recording advice.

I'm connecting my iPhone and my audio interface (PreSonus AudioBox) to my Mac (both via USB). Then, in QuickTime, I'm selecting the iPhone as the video source and the AudioBox as the audio source. Then I create a new movie and hit the Record icon.

Three problems so far: (1) The video output is exactly what's on the iPhone's screen, including all the Camera controls. So I need to figure out how to make it "full screen" or something. (2) The AudioBox has two inputs; I plug my SM57 into one channel (for narration), and my synth into the other channel. But I don't have a functioning mixer, so I'm stuck with the narration panned hard left and the synth hard right. (3) I recorded like ten minutes of video, but QuickTime stopped recording after four minutes. Grrr.

Now the kids are starting to trickle home from school, which means noise noise noise. I'm going to have to research these issues and try again tomorrow. But the DSM03 demos are coming soon, I promise.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his