News from Korg

Sacred Synthesis

Re: News from Korg
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 07:28:51 AM »
There go my 2600 hopes again!

Ditto.  I don't think Korg is going to come through for us.  They're too much into the itty bitty stuff.  Great for Christmas stockings and back packs.  But then again, many of us don't put our synthesizers in stockings or back packs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:28:58 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »

My exact sentiments.  There are no words, just face in palms.  Really - it comes in five different colors and runs on AA batteries?   

I was totally open to a new Korg instrument, but they are just a million miles away from my sort of synthesizer.  I even reconsidered the KingKorg.  Sure maybe it would sound better in black!  Nope.  Listening to a recent video, I realized it doesn't even come close to the Prophet '08.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:41:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
There's currently a live Q&A session on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/5ajurp/hello_were_korg_usa_and_we_sell_synths_and_synth/

As for the 2600, this anwer has been given, which rather sounds like a polite 'no' to me:

"I love the 2600! My friend Bubba has a TTSH and it's endless fun, and sounds amazing. A 2600 Korg reissue would for sure be amazing, but so much development would have to go into it, and it would probably be extremely difficult to execute, in terms of price point, production run, parts, distribution. Plus there are companies releasing clones already. It's definitely a fun idea though!"

dslsynth

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
So yet another instance of Circus Korg (TM)? To my ears it sounded really nice. But of cause I would love to hear better trained ears opinions about its sound.

What I don't get is why they don't make a module version if it.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
There's currently a live Q&A session on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/5ajurp/hello_were_korg_usa_and_we_sell_synths_and_synth/

As for the 2600, this anwer has been given, which rather sounds like a polite 'no' to me:

"I love the 2600! My friend Bubba has a TTSH and it's endless fun, and sounds amazing. A 2600 Korg reissue would for sure be amazing, but so much development would have to go into it, and it would probably be extremely difficult to execute, in terms of price point, production run, parts, distribution. Plus there are companies releasing clones already. It's definitely a fun idea though!"

Yeah, that certainly sounds like an indirect "No."  So be it.  I had nearly given up on the Korg ARP 2600 anyway.  And it irritates me to read the multiple references to "fun."  I realize for many people, music and synthesizers are just that - fun.  But I think this is where personal philosophies part ways, and for good reason.  I would never demean serious music or musical instruments by referring to them merely as a sort of game.  I consider noble culture to be far more important than that, and to have an important role in forming a well-developed mind capable of a selfless loftiness. 

As for fun, fun, fun...I think I now understand why Korg totally disinterests me.   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:40:26 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
I think there are already some Korg emulating modules out there, like the MS-20 filter for example.

As for a neutral take on the new release:
Korg have definitely a wide array of modules/functions out there right now, so it will be interesting to see, whether all these small-scale instruments are turning out as a sort of warm-up for something bigger in the end.

What's definitely interesting about the Minilogue is the 2-pole lowpass filter that certainly gives it a distinct sound and a good bottom end. That'll also make it a serious contender for everything Acid I suppose. The grown motion sequencer and the alternate tunings are certainly welcome additions too. It's also interesting to see the return of an E to E keyboard as it was used on many Japanese vintage synths. Here of course it makes sense for the bass duties. I think it's probably a nice addition to the MicroBrute for everyone who's on a tight budget. The latter has the advantage of more CV connectivity though, but then the MicroBrute has no presets, only one oscillator, and not the same sequencer flexibility. So they can actually co-exist quite peacefully.

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
And it irritates me to read the multiple references to "fun."  I realize for many people, music and synthesizers are just that - fun.  But I think this is where personal philosophies part ways, and for good reason.  I would never demean serious music or musical instruments by referring to them merely as a sort of game.  I consider noble culture to be far more important than that, and to have an important role in forming a well-developed mind capable of a selfless loftiness. 

As for fun, fun, fun...I think I now understand why Korg totally disinterests me.

I wouldn't hang this too high. After all, Dave basically emphasizes the same aspect when he explains why he finds the name "Workstation" ridiculous, and how operating a synth should be fun and not work, which eventually leads to the development of easy to program instruments.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
Yes, I remember those comments well.  But then look at the product.  What a difference for those of us who don't want merely to have fun.

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »
Yes, I remember those comments well.  But then look at the product.  What a difference for those of us who don't want merely to have fun.

I get your point, but no one will be hindered in mastering a specific instrument. On a Minimoog that can mean to be able to create sounds quickly from one point to another, on basically any instrument with a WYSIWYG design, it can mean making creative use of all the parameters you have direct access to while you're actually playing (expanding on live controllers), and it can also mean just to know what you are doing and what every parameter can be used for. All of those examples require analytical thinking and a clear understanding of what a particular instrument is able to do and how it does that.

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
There go my 2600 hopes again!

Ditto.  I don't think Korg is going to come through for us.  They're too much into the itty bitty stuff.  Great for Christmas stockings and back packs.  But then again, many of us don't put our synthesizers in stockings or back packs.

I'm not sure how handy you are with a soldering iron but it looks like the TTSH is going to have another run: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169949

I have my name down for the bits, even if I never and up making it I won't loose out money wise as they always sell for at least cost on eBay.

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2016, 12:32:40 PM »
I think there are already some Korg emulating modules out there, like the MS-20 filter for example.

As for a neutral take on the new release:
Korg have definitely a wide array of modules/functions out there right now, so it will be interesting to see, whether all these small-scale instruments are turning out as a sort of warm-up for something bigger in the end.

What's definitely interesting about the Minilogue is the 2-pole lowpass filter that certainly gives it a distinct sound and a good bottom end. That'll also make it a serious contender for everything Acid I suppose. The grown motion sequencer and the alternate tunings are certainly welcome additions too. It's also interesting to see the return of an E to E keyboard as it was used on many Japanese vintage synths. Here of course it makes sense for the bass duties. I think it's probably a nice addition to the MicroBrute for everyone who's on a tight budget. The latter has the advantage of more CV connectivity though, but then the MicroBrute has no presets, only one oscillator, and not the same sequencer flexibility. So they can actually co-exist quite peacefully.

I must admit I am quite drawn to the Minilogue, if I had the space I would probably get one as some of the sound demos I really like.

Not sure about the Monologue though, I did see a rumour that it will be $300 so I guess they will sell quite a few.

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »

Yes, absolutely spot on. What a joke. Why bother with that teaser when it's just more disposable toys?

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2016, 07:59:37 AM »

chysn

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:31 AM »
w...o...a...h...!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

eXode

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 12:42:22 PM »
I sincerely hope they have fixed the triggering issue in that one.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
Look at this, Sacred Synthesis:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/5b3uqn/full_size_korg_arp_odyssey_on_the_horizon_pic/

Thanks, Paul.  What a beautiful little creature.  And Exode has a good point.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
I assume it might be a kit similar to the full-sized MS-20. See the note "assembled in New York."

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
I assume it might be a kit similar to the full-sized MS-20. See the note "assembled in New York."
Very good call....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000