News from Korg

Re: News from Korg
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:40 PM »
Talk of a larger version of the Minilogue is definitely of interest.  I actually like the sound of the instrument quite a bit; it's the size and appearance that kill it for me.  So, if Korg produces a full-sized analog mono synth, I'm interested.

It would seem like the next logical step for Korg to do a full-sized poly synth.

It's also getting close to winter NAMM time.  So, anything good that comes out now will have to be compared with whatever comes out at NAMM.  This would be a poor pre-order time.  I also hope and expect that DSI will have a big announcement

That's like asking for too much reasoning.  ;)
Seriously, I think NAMM announcements are becoming less and less significant, which of course is linked to customers being able to make more and more erratic decisions due to the market becoming more saturated, especially in the lower price range and the one up to roughly $1,000. If you look back at 2016, you'll see a lot of announcements beyond NAMM.

eXode

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
It's also getting close to winter NAMM time.  So, anything good that comes out now will have to be compared with whatever comes out at NAMM.  This would be a poor pre-order time.  I also hope and expect that DSI will have a big announcement

It depends on what Korg have in store. Remember with the Minilogue the first batch was actually already on it's way to stores when they announced it at Winter NAMM. I think that was a brilliant move to be honest.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
Seriously, I think NAMM announcements are becoming less and less significant, which of course is linked to customers being able to make more and more erratic decisions due to the market becoming more saturated, especially in the lower price range and the one up to roughly $1,000. If you look back at 2016, you'll see a lot of announcements beyond NAMM.

Yes, that's gradually becoming the case.  But still, people know there will be lots of goodies coming out of NAMM, so it still has its psychological hold.  And folks are prudently less willing to commit sums of money until they know what all the options will be.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:37:59 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »

Yes, that's gradually becoming the case.  But still, people know there will be lots of goodies coming out of NAMM, so it still has its psychological hold.  And folks are prudently less willing to commit sums of money until they know what all the options will be.

True. And it will always remain important to just check out new releases in person.

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
My wish is modest: colours! Most modern analog synths look boring.

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
But still, people know there will be lots of goodies coming out of NAMM, so it still has its psychological hold.  And folks are prudently less willing to commit sums of money until they know what all the options will be.

Yeah that is the essence of gearmas. Want to see what the options are. Would never want to invest at this time of year when there could be way better options in a few months. Well except for the rare cases where one is very sure about the choice.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »
Would never want to invest at this time of year when there could be way better options in a few months.

And that's the power of NAMM.  Personally, as of last year, I'm sick and tired of all the hype.  But even still, I know I had better wait and see.

dslsynth

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
And that's the power of NAMM.  Personally, as of last year, I'm sick and tired of all the hype.  But even still, I know I had better wait and see.

I can recommend my approach to NAMM shows: Wow at the new products, enjoy surfing the hype waves, initiate cold analysis of the products actual value - and run screaming away after looking at the price tags!

;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:59:43 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 09:55:58 PM »
I was told yesterday that it's going to be a polysix remake.

But I've also heard that "the people who know" have said its a bigger minilogue.

Either would make sense. Who says it's just one product?

I agree that synths in general need to make better use of colour.

Astronauts in the international space station have bright primary coloured layouts red, yellow, blue, to compensate for the lack of colour in their environment, but also to increase acuity.

It would be much easier to identify the LFO from the filter if they were written in different colours, rather than just all white.

I was using the Buchla easel yesterday and they use colour so you know what you're patching to and from. It's genius, it's simple, it requires a lot less text to explain the interface.

Plus I'll buy anything in red  ;)
Software: protools for studio, cool edit pro for field recording

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 02:51:46 AM »
It will be a Korg Polysix but only 4 note poly and only a single solitary key keyboard (mini key of course)  :)

Or maybe this for the adventurous DJ :-)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:55:26 AM by vinnyburns »

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »
My wish is modest: colours! Most modern analog synths look boring.

Yeah, let's bring back the grafitti style!

;D

eXode

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 06:15:10 AM »

<3

chysn

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 07:38:28 AM »
Plus I'll buy anything in red  ;)

Yeah, me too. I paid $50 extra to get my Little Phatty in red.

I'm pro-Polysix. I had a Polysix back in the 90s; its conductive rubber on the keyboard was pretty shot, and it was spectacularly out of tune. But it sounded great, and had a fun arpeggiator. I traded a TX81Z for it, straight up.

At this point, I think we just need to be resigned to mini keys from Korg. It's their thing now.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
At this point, I think we just need to be resigned to mini keys from Korg. It's their thing now.

You can be sure there will be a fly in the ointment. Manufacturers seem hellbent on looking at their rivals and releasing 'me too' products rather than giving the customers what they want.
So many gimmicky toys. Look at the amount of Roland JP/JX/JU and TR8's for sale secondhand already. Same with those mini yamaha toys.
I do think the last Roland releases were interesting (TR09 VP03 and the TB03) and at least looked to offer what the original units offered.
I think it's great that Korg are re releasing classics, just wish they would do them full size.
Maybe this one will set the trend? Hopefully.

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
What would be great is if Korg went for a digital synth, they could just take the Mod-7 engine from the Oasys/Kronos and release it as a standalone synth.

Mod-7 is an amazing synth and it would be great that people didn't have to spend Workstation money to get one.

Some example sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPUfL34_Gvs&list=RDVPUfL34_Gvs#t=115

No bloody chance this would happen though.

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
What would be great is if Korg went for a digital synth, they could just take the Mod-7 engine from the Oasys/Kronos and release it as a standalone synth.

Mod-7 is an amazing synth and it would be great that people didn't have to spend Workstation money to get one.

Some example sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPUfL34_Gvs&list=RDVPUfL34_Gvs#t=115

No bloody chance this would happen though.

I agree on that one. It could also be relatively affordable and I'm sure that it would even attract those people who are thinking about a Yamaha Montage - at least those, who want nothing but a good FM synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
I'd be happy with either a new Polysix, Mono/Poly, or even a Wavestation.  When the DSI Pro 2 first came out, some folks described it as a sort of modern Mono/Poly.  I thought that was a decent compliment. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
It will be a Korg Polysix but only 4 note poly and only a single solitary key keyboard (mini key of course)  :)

Or maybe this for the adventurous DJ :-)

Well, at least you could still play a trill.  ;D

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »
I'd be happy with either a new Polysix, Mono/Poly, or even a Wavestation.  When the DSI Pro 2 first came out, some folks described it as a sort of modern Mono/Poly.  I thought that was a decent compliment.

The MonoPoly is what I first had to think of as well when the Pro 2 was announced, which I guess was mostly related to the paraphonic mode. Otherwise, though, it's a rather huge understatement for the Pro 2.

As for Korg: I really hope that it's not necessarily a reissue. Maybe an instrument that builds on some legacy, but a new design. I remain skeptical due to the colors though, but I can still see the possibility for something like a new take on the PolySix and/or MonoPoly (as in: "inspired by" instead of "rebuilt"). I would also hope for a full-sized approach, especially if it's going to be more than a desktop module. - I'm not really in the market for anything right now, but it would just be nice to see the mini trend being interrupted at least.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »

The MonoPoly is what I first had to think of as well when the Pro 2 was announced, which I guess was mostly related to the paraphonic mode. Otherwise, though, it's a rather huge understatement for the Pro 2.

Absolutely!  But the similarities are in the size, number of oscillators, and paraphonic mode, and that's enough to justify the observation. 

I'd love to see the video that I thought would be so obvious - the side-by-side comparison of these two synthesizers.  I'd like to here the Monopoly's analog sound compared with the Pro 2's digital emulation.