News from Korg

News from Korg
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »
Via Twitter with the added note "What could it be?":

Funny how NAMM becomes less and less relevant for new announcements.

Will this be a full-sized Korg poly synth?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: News from Korg
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »
Only one question concerns me: key size.  Will it be a 2600?  Eh, I don't get excited any longer.  Once upon a time, I really liked Korg, but the redundant mini/slim key issue has totally turned me off their brand name.  Even the shrunken Odyssey Desktop is a bit of a disappointment for its small size.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:03:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
The color stripes remind me of the PolySix and MonoPoly.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Only one question concerns me: key size.  Will it be a 2600?  Eh, I don't get excited any longer.  Once upon a time, I really liked Korg, but the redundant mini/slim key issue has totally turned me off their brand name.  Even the shrunken Odyssey Desktop is a bit of a disappointment for its small size.

I think what makes the 2600 less likely is that it's more complicated for licensing and consulting reasons. While Korg could get David Friend for their Odyssey (for which he was the lead designer), it would require getting in touch with Alan R. Pearlman himself for such an endeavour and to follow through a comparable approach that would give the whole project a similar authority. But Pearlman is said to be not very sociable these days.

As for the size: They could just omit the keyboard and only reproduce the synth itself at a size of 86%, which would still be big enough, since the original is quite bulky. They only had to add a MIDI input and a USB connection like on the other reissues, and updated CV connectivity (mini jacks). That way, everyone would be happy.

eXode

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
I'd LOVE an 8 voice "Maxilogue" with full size keys etc. But I just don't know what they're up to.

I mean it's not impossible, even though it feels improbable. Didn't the King Korg have full size keys? Anyway if you look at their releases from the Monotron up to now it seems that their own analog stuff is growing in size each year, so hopefully they didn't come to a halt with the Minilogue. :)

eXode

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »
I think what makes the 2600 less likely is that it's more complicated for licensing and consulting reasons. While Korg could get David Friend for their Odyssey (for which he was the lead designer), it would require getting in touch with Alan R. Pearlman himself for such an endeavour and to follow through a comparable approach that would give the whole project a similar authority. But Pearlman is said to be not very sociable these days.

Alan is over 90 (born in 1925)! Not that age matters, but I think he has every right to be not very sociable. :)

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »

Alan is 90+. Not that age matters but I think he has every right to be not very sociable. :)

Definitely!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
Ehh, it's probably some cheesy digital piano with internet connectivity...or a WAVESTATION with analogue filters  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:45:07 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »
Could the five stripes signify five voices?

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:34:40 AM »
...or a WAVESTATION with analogue filters  ;D

That would actually be pretty cool!

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:51:48 AM »
Could the five stripes signify five voices?

Maybe 6 if you compare the color scheme:

chysn

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:17:20 AM »
I'll go on the record with my guess that it's an 01/Wfd reissue at 86%.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:43 AM »
I'll go on the record with my guess that it's an 01/Wfd reissue at 86%.

Haha! With a true vintage floppy disk drive.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
It's about time they updated the Kronos but the way things are going I guess something analog with little keys is the most likely bet :(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »
...or a WAVESTATION with analogue filters  ;D

That would actually be pretty cool!

Yes, that could be a very popular instrument, and one of special interest to those of us who were hoping Dave Smith might issue a new Prophet VS-like design.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
It's about time they updated the Kronos but the way things are going I guess something analog with little keys is the most likely bet :(

Considering that five stripes are the only hint/suggestion, I highly doubt it could be a 2600.  Besides, how many old school mono synths can a single company afford to offer?  It seems to me that Korg has already reached its limits.

eXode

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 12:19:27 PM »
I listened to (and watched) the Sonic TALK 469 Korg's Big Announcement Podcast.

While they don't reveal anything per se regarding the upcoming Korg announcement, the fact that Nick got contacted by Korg is telling in itself, in my opinion. Nick usually reviews synthesizers (keyboard and/or modulars/modules) so the fact that Korg offered him to sign a NDA to learn what it is tells that it's likely an synthesizer/keyboard of some sort.

Also, Non Eric talks about the possibility of it being an upgraded Minilogue with more voices and a couple of more features and makes an comparison, feature wise, between the Roland System-1 and System-8. I'm probably reading a little too much into this but I think I see a hint of a smile when he says talks about the possibility of an upgraded Minilogue, making me think that he might actually have taps on that it is indeed a big brother to the Minilogue.

Thankfully, the first of November isn't that far away so we'll all know (hopefully) pretty soon. If I was to wish: A full size key bed, building on the Minilogue foundation would be very nice! :)

/End of Speculation
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:22:02 PM by eXode »

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
I think Korg could easily compete with Behringer, if it would be something like an 8-voice poly with 2 VCOs. All the rest would basically depend on further features like LFOs and envelopes (not really talking about a gimmicky load of effects), whether it would have regular sized keys or not, and the availability. If Korg could pull it off to release such a synth in time for Christmas sales already, they could hurt Behringer quite a bit.

eXode

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
I think Korg could easily compete with Behringer, if it would be something like an 8-voice poly with 2 VCOs. All the rest would basically depend on further features like LFOs and envelopes (not really talking about a gimmicky load of effects), whether it would have regular sized keys or not, and the availability. If Korg could pull it off to release such a synth in time for Christmas sales already, they could hurt Behringer quite a bit.

Yeah. I've pretty much written off the Behringer anyway because I dislike the interface and the nerfed second oscillator. But if Korg releases an eight voice with full size keys, based on the Minilogue or similar, I would be very tempted indeed. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:55:37 PM by eXode »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
Talk of a larger version of the Minilogue is definitely of interest.  I actually like the sound of the instrument quite a bit; it's the size and appearance that kill it for me.  So, if Korg produces a full-sized analog mono synth, I'm interested. 

It's also getting close to winter NAMM time.  So, anything good that comes out now will have to be compared with whatever comes out at NAMM.  This would be a poor pre-order time.  I also hope and expect that DSI will have a big announcement

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:46:00 PM by Sacred Synthesis »