MIDI In Issues

MIDI In Issues
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »
A while back I started having issues using my m-audio axiom and the tetra via MIDI. At first it was intermittent and a note wouldn't play here and there. Then eventually it got to the point where I had to wiggle the midi cable on the axiom MIDI Out and it would work, ive tried multiple MIDI cables as well. This led me to believe it was the MIDI Out on my controller. I have bought a new m-audio code and it still will not transmit MIDI and im certain its the tetra MIDI In. Aside from buying a whole new unit which i cannot afford, is there any options to verify this is my issue and fix the MIDI port? Any info would help alot
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:53:29 PM by Mantonio »

chysn

Re: MIDI In Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »
What you're describing--having to wiggle something to connect, and this solution becoming less effective over time--is a common sign of a "cold solder joint," in which the solder around a through-hole component cracks and no longer makes contact between the component and the circuit board.

The good news is, the solution is simple. The Tetra's board is accessible and easy to get around on. If you have a friend with any level of electronics experience at all, these cracks can typically be seen with the naked eye and re-soldered. If you don't have anyone with such a skillset, I believe that DSI charges a low flat rate to repair things if it's not covered by warranty. Contact support and they'll tell you what to do.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:34 PM »
What you're describing--having to wiggle something to connect, and this solution becoming less effective over time--is a common sign of a "cold solder joint," in which the solder around a through-hole component cracks and no longer makes contact between the component and the circuit board.

The good news is, the solution is simple. The Tetra's board is accessible and easy to get around on. If you have a friend with any level of electronics experience at all, these cracks can typically be seen with the naked eye and re-soldered. If you don't have anyone with such a skillset, I believe that DSI charges a low flat rate to repair things if it's not covered by warranty. Contact support and they'll tell you what to do.

The only thing was the MIDI controller midi out was what i had to wiggle not the tetra midi in but I definitely need to get a hold of support but thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:05:14 AM »
I had this exact same problem and it was indeed a ''cold solder joint'' has described above. I simply re-flowed the solder on the MIDI pins and added a little more to the points. It resolved the issue and all is working fine.