DSI Effects

Sacred Synthesis

DSI Effects
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »
This discussion goes all the way back to the old forum.  As we all know, most offboard effects - the exception being rackmount devices - are clearly designed for guitarists.  The pedal format with the big button foot trigger and often mono inputs and outputs on the sides is something synthesists/keyboardists have just had to live with.  It's as if we were a small and insignificant lot, so that such devices were unapologetically designed not with us in mind. 

Personally, I hate the guitar pedal format.  I would never put an expensive device on the ground and repeatedly step on it; I insist on stereo inputs and outputs in the back; but most of all, I want such a device to have controls facing me, for visually precise adjusting and physical ease in reaching while performing.  In other words, such a device should be in a desktop format, like the Alesis Nanoverb, which I use and quite like.  For those synthesists/keyboardists who disagree, there will always be a zillion guitar pedals from which to choose. 

Over the last few years, DSI has been equipping its new synthesizers with onboard effects.  Still, many synthesists have older instruments that lack such onboard effects, and perhaps some newer instruments will still lack them.  Since DSI has developed an assortment of decent onboard digital effects, perhaps now is the time for them to finally offer separate effects devices in a format intended specifically for the synthesist/keyboardist - meaning, in a desktop design that is visually convenient for a person who plays while sitting or standing, and with controls much like the parameters on Dave Smith synthesizers.  Imagine a line of small classy wood-sided desktop effects with the DSI logo - stereo reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, and so on.  I would offer the Nanoverb (below) as an ideal design model. 

What would you guys like to see in such a line?  Design suggestions?  Types of effects?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:14:55 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: DSI Effects
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
Since I'm also a bassist and guitarist, I of course have a different view. I always thought the Moogerfoogers were brilliant as a concept, and you can also mount them. Not all provide stereo ins and outs though.

As for a DSI effects line: I don't think it would make a lot of sense to release digital effects as individual units. There's so much stuff out there already, which might not be the form factor you'd prefer, but I'm not sure whether a different interface alone would justify any new series, especially since the Eventide and Strymon boxes are hugely popular. But I could imagine a sort of multi-effects processor in a desktop module (preferably also rack-mountable). It would have to have a certain twist about it, otherwise it would just get lost amongst other more typical effect units of which the world doesn't need any more. Some kind of crazy modulation matrix, dunno.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »
I purposely proposed only a general idea.  I'd be content with a multi-effects device or two.

Keep in mind that Dave has favorably mentioned this topic several times, and more recently he suggested it may be only a matter of time.  After all, they've already got the design.  So, we might as well toss around the idea.  Or else, perhaps Robot Heart will give us a definite, "No."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:37:37 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »
I purposely proposed only a general idea.  I'd be content with a multi-effects device or two.

Keep in mind that Dave has favorably mentioned this idea several times, and more recently he suggested it may be only a matter of time.  So, we might as well toss around the idea.

I know. Ever since the release of the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 it has been brought up. My point was that it may need more for such a product to stand on its own feet than just separating the digital effects from the aforementioned synths.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »

Keep in mind that Dave has favorably mentioned this idea several times, and more recently he suggested it may be only a matter of time.  So, we might as well toss around the idea.

I know. Ever since the release of the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 it has been brought up.

Well before that.  We discussed it on the old forum, and Dave mentioned the possibility going back a while.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »

I know. Ever since the release of the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 it has been brought up.

Well before that.  We discussed it on the old forum, and Dave mentioned the possibility going back a while.

That was before I was born then.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
You're less than five years old?  My, you're one precocious little toddler.  :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:30:36 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
Effects units for synths should use space efficiently and should be accessible while playing. Rackmount units are great if you want to rack them; otherwise, they need to sit on something away from the keyboard. Pedals are space efficient because they sit on the ground, but this puts the controls out of reach.

So, I think that DSI should make effects specifically for keyboards. There could be a small padded bracket that sort of clamps behind the keyboard so that the control panel's face is parallel to the keyboard's controls, but toward the rear, where the unit has access to audio outs and maybe MIDI. When installed, it would seem like part of the synth. Without the keyboard bracket, it could be used as a regular rack unit with a rack ear kit.

Also, they should make a eurorack reverb.

And, speaking of the old forum, it's now riddled with spam and nobody's around to moderate it. I'm even getting spam private messages now.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
And, speaking of the old forum, it's now riddled with spam and nobody's around to moderate it. I'm even getting spam private messages now.

Similar to Vintage Synth Explorer, which has been getting up to five full pages of spam per thread about once a week.

I do like the idea of the bracket.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:08:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
So, I think that DSI should make effects specifically for keyboards. There could be a small padded bracket that sort of clamps behind the keyboard so that the control panel's face is parallel to the keyboard's controls, but toward the rear, where the unit has access to audio outs and maybe MIDI. When installed, it would seem like part of the synth. Without the keyboard bracket, it could be used as a regular rack unit with a rack ear kit.

That's actually a neat idea.

Something they could also do with regard to content is an effects unit that's based on delays only; in other words: an isolated delay module that's based on the Evolver, Prophet 12, and Pro 2 principles. It could contain up to 4 LFOs and a couple of envelopes. This might have to be a little more refined in order to produce delay-based reverbs easier, but other than that you could cover flanger and chorus effects on top of the obvious.

Haven't been there in ages. Is there still anything going on apart from spamming?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »

That's actually a neat idea.

Something they could also do with regard to content is an effects unit that's based on delays only; in other words: an isolated delay module that's based on the Evolver, Prophet 12, and Pro 2 principles. It could contain up to 4 LFOs and a couple of envelopes. This might have to be a little more refined in order to produce delay-based reverbs easier, but other than that you could cover flanger and chorus effects on top of the obvious.

Haven't been there in ages. Is there still anything going on apart from spamming?

Yes, it's still quite active.  I follow that forum because the discussions tend to share my own types of synthesizer interests, even though I have no vintage equipment...except the Evolvers.

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
I wish I had the link or knew the specific interview off-hand, but recently Dave Smith said he was, IIRC, entertaining the idea of making effects.

Recently in the 'what would you like to see next' thread, I mentioned it'd be cool if they made a Eurorack format delay that could be tracked at 1v/oct... and it has been created! That in addition to the Character and Filter modules makes me think that DSI has already started making effects for synthesists. I understand that the concept of patch-your-own-effect doesn't appeal to everyone, but I think it's great.

I could see them creating a 'mod mixer' or something like that, with a small Tempest-like screen indicating modulation paths with a small matrix of CV I/O to help incorporate current and future effects modules into an existing Eurorack system. Perhaps it could even have built in digital LFO's/EG's. I'm not sure where else they could take things short of reverb effects wise though...

RE: Effects Accessibility while Playing
I can't agree more with you on this one Chysn! Although I tend to set & forget my reverbs (although I sometimes use automation in post), I love to manipulate my effects while playing. I think that this does not necessarily have to be done with knobs, or even with our hands though. For example, expression pedals & foot switches work great-- this is why I really like DSI's synths... you can modulate just about anything with either. They also have mod & pitch wheels as well as the touch sensitive ribbon strips. I think it would be interesting to see those kinds of controls built into effects units. I mentioned it before, but having a modulation & pitch wheel module with two ribbon controllers in Eurorack would be interesting. A switch to toggle between two modulation paths per ribbon, like on the Tempest, would be a great addition to something like that.

Outside of Eurorack, it almost seems a little silly to try to incorporate Mod/Pitch wheels + ribbons on a bunch of separate effects unit though... so it's almost like if they made an effects unit, it'd have to be an all-in-one like unit that had all of the good stuff on it-- LPF/HPF, Tuned Feedback, Character Section, and maybe a sequencer or something like that. I have a feeling it'd get so pricey that most people would just buy one of their synths at that rate though!

It's fun to think about nevertheless.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
I wish I had the link or knew the specific interview off-hand, but recently Dave Smith said he was, IIRC, entertaining the idea of making effects.

Right.  It was probably the last Dave Smith interview on Youtube that was posted here.  I'm certain of it because I've had an interest in this subject for some time.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 02:12:09 AM »
I'd be happy to see something as simple as the effects portion of the P6/OB6 as a standalone box. Full-width rackmount would be a bit too unwieldy for me so I would prefer a smaller desktop unit. As long as it can take a full-volume line level input then it's already one up on anything else I've tried.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 05:06:30 AM »
I'd be happy to see something as simple as the effects portion of the P6/OB6 as a standalone box. Full-width rackmount would be a bit too unwieldy for me so I would prefer a smaller desktop unit. As long as it can take a full-volume line level input then it's already one up on anything else I've tried.

This would be an excellent digital effects add-on to anything DSI-branded that doesn't already have built-in effects.

In fact, a second (stereo) analogue input (with programmable trim) might make such a product an excellent audio merge box for poly-chain purposes (i.e., two stereo modules into one stereo output with effects). This second input could certainly be a TRS connection to save rear panel space.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »

Exactly.  We've already heard the quality of DSI onboard effects, and most people feel they're excellent.  So, extract them and offer them as one or two individual units.  I'd be thrilled to see the P-6/OB-6 effects, just as they are, in a nice little cabinet.  Even one single classic DSI-looking box would be fabulous.