MIDI SYNC

MIDI SYNC
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:24:15 AM »
HI Guys i'm new user, i'm in love with my tempest, but i found difficult to have a good  sync with ablteon live.
do you have any good councils for me?

tnx in advance

Re: MIDI SYNC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:15 AM »
HI Guys i'm new user, i'm in love with my tempest, but i found difficult to have a good  sync with ablteon live.
do you have any good councils for me?

tnx in advance

Hi,

I've had the same problem with Ableton Live 9.6.1.  Set your Tempest to Master & Ableton to Slave, you will have better sync.  You will also need to adjust the MIDI clock delay on the Tempest Midi Input port in the MIDI section of Ableton's Preferences (MIDI section).  I have mine set at -80 ms, but you can adjust it differently if necessary, usually a negative number.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:38:57 AM »
Watch my tutorial ;)

Also if you're able try Ableton Link feature...Below it's a quote of mine in tips & tricks thread..
"To anyone searching for a tight sync between Ableton Live & Tempest if you own an iOS device with the free Midi Link Sync app and this adapter http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
you can have a very tight sync using Ableton's Link feature  ;)"
If you go down the midi road set Tempest to be the slave and Live to be the master..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:46:21 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »
HI GUYS i found that -30 ms in the MIDI clock preference is my way to have a good sync..
TNX SO MUCH.. :)

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:03:49 AM »
Glad we helped :D
HI GUYS i found that -30 ms in the MIDI clock preference is my way to have a good sync..

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

No worries :)

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Watch my tutorial ;)

Also if you're able try Ableton Link feature...Below it's a quote of mine in tips & tricks thread..
"To anyone searching for a tight sync between Ableton Live & Tempest if you own an iOS device with the free Midi Link Sync app and this adapter http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
If you go down the midi road set Tempest to be the slave and Live to be the master..

If like me your MIDI / AUdio interface is combined, (Scarlett 18i20) you will need an additional IOS compatible midi interface to attach to the iPad & connect to the Tempest, am I right?

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
Watch my tutorial ;)

If like me your MIDI / AUdio interface is combined, (Scarlett 18i20) you will need an additional IOS compatible midi interface to attach to the iPad & connect to the Tempest, am I right?

By the way, which MIDI interface did u attach to iPad in order to get the solid sync with Tempest?   I'll bet some work, some don't!

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
Basically i've hooked Tempest to my iPhone via the adapter i've posted and with the Midi Link Sync app it's like i've installed a wifi synchronizer into Tempest  :D...No midi stuff going on there ;) Just syncing in the air using an ad-hoc connection between iPhone and a MacBook Pro and it's damn tight!I just love geeky stuff 8)
Watch my tutorial ;)

By the way, which MIDI interface did u attach to iPad in order to get the solid sync with Tempest?   I'll bet some work, some don't!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:11:49 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
Basically i've hooked Tempest to my iPhone via the adapter i've posted and with the Midi Link Sync app it's like i've installed a wifi synchronizer into Tempest  :D...No midi stuff going on there ;) Just syncing in the air using an ad-hoc connection between iPhone and a MacBook Pro and it's damn tight!I just love geeky stuff 8)
Watch my tutorial ;)

Ah ok, u mean the Tempest is connected directly to the iPhone via the lightening to USB (Camera) adapter?  Strange, when I tried that the Midi Link Sync app didn't list the Tempest as one of its MIDI destinrations.  Am I missing something?  Any chance you could list some detailed steps for setting the thing up please?  Obviously Tempest is set to sync slave via USB, right?  Which version of IOS did you use at the time?

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Ah ok, u mean the Tempest is connected directly to the iPhone via the lightening to USB (Camera) adapter?

Exactly!

Strange, when I tried that the Midi Link Sync app didn't list the Tempest as one of its MIDI destinrations.  Am I missing something?
This should not be happening check your cables and look at the bottom of the Midi>>Link menu and you'll see Tempest.Tick it and then press "enable sync".

Which version of IOS did you use at the time?
I'm on a jailbroken OS 9.3.3

Obviously Tempest is set to sync slave via USB, right?
Nop...Tempest (Master) sending sync via USB -> Midi Link sending sync via Wifi -> Ableton Live (Link Enabled)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:00:04 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 03:08:46 AM »
Ah ok, u mean the Tempest is connected directly to the iPhone via the lightening to USB (Camera) adapter?

Exactly!

Strange, when I tried that the Midi Link Sync app didn't list the Tempest as one of its MIDI destinrations.  Am I missing something?
This should not be happening check your cables and look at the bottom of the Midi>>Link menu and you'll see Tempest.Tick it and then press "enable sync".

Nop...Tempest (Master) sending sync via USB -> Midi Link sending sync via Wifi -> Ableton Live (Link Enabled)

Sweet, I'll give that a go ASAP, cheers :)

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

Exactly!

Sweet, I'll give that a go ASAP, cheers :)

Great, it's working, thanks!  Was just a dodgy lightening to USB adaptor, it seems!  Cheers again ;)

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:54 AM »
And one last thing...
Below the enable sync on the Midi Link Sync app there's a slider where you can adjust exactly the timing between Tempest and Ableton Live..I set mine a little bit to the left ;)

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »
And one last thing...
Below the enable sync on the Midi Link Sync app there's a slider where you can adjust exactly the timing between Tempest and Ableton Live..I set mine a little bit to the left ;)

Ah yes!  I forgot about that!  I was planning to tackle that problem some other way but that's a much better solution!  Cheers mate ;)

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »
Expert Sleepers USAMO is a good solution too. Link to midi works well though....