Using Tempest as master clock with DAW?

Using Tempest as master clock with DAW?
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
I've been syncing my Tempest and Prophet 6 to Ableton via my Macbook Air but I've started to notice some jitter. Expert Sleeper's Usamo has been recommended to me but I wonder if that's a bit overkill.

I'm going to try using my Tempest as the master clock and slave Ableton to it but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas for best practices here.

Also, as far as I can tell the sequencer on the Prophet 6 is disabled when it's in slave mode, so I suppose I'd have to make my Prophet 6 the master, and then slave everything else to it?

Cheers!  8)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: Using Tempest as master clock with DAW?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
Or use Live as master and follow Yorgos' advice on Ableton Link. Apparently it is quite good. Worth checking out at least.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
Definitely this ^
Trust me i've tried everything and if you don't want to go the Usamo way it's the only way to have a tight sync using a hardware as master..

sofine

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
I have Usamo and also tested Link with 2 different iOS midi sync apps and there isn't much difference. In my case Usamo was a little tighter, but Link / iOS app sync was significantly better than Midi or USB sync through a midi interface.

The other advantage of Usamo is that you can also send midi data other than just clock, such as note, velocity, cc etc. and even sysex on some sound cards.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
Awesome thanks all, I'll check it out!

Can't say I predicted this adventure when I got a drum machine :)

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
The great thing about USAMO is that you can record the signal that comes from the plugin, and play it back from anything that plays audio. An octatrack for instance, or a CDJ deck.
And as Sofine said, you could have a load of cc information recorded into that audio, beat changes, a whole arrangement in fact....