Prophet '08 Issue

Prophet '08 Issue
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
My Prophet '08 just arrived today, it's great, I love everything about it, save for one thing. As I am playing different notes, I can see the "voices" display light up once for each voice, that's great. But then, there's a handful of keys on the instrument, I would say maybe 8 (a mixture of white & black keys) where when I hit them, it shows up as 2 voices playing. How can I turn this off? I have re-calibrated and reset to factory setting (what it should have already been at) but still, nothing. Please help.

Thank you.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet '08 Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »
Make sure the instrument is not in stack mode by turning off the Stack A/B button just to the left of the window.  When off, the little red light won't be lit. 

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
I made sure both Stack A/B and Split are off. This is definitely not a feature of the patch, as it happens on every single patch. I hit the E key and the F key, for instance, and each does 2 voices and they play the same de-tuned note. But then I move up 6 octaves (reg & sharp/flat notes) and on the seventh & eight octave, they are both de-tuned and playing 2 voices, while everything else is playing 1 voice.

The attached image shows what I mean: I've highlighted in yellow & blue the affected keys that play 2 voices instead of just 1.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:31:53 AM by 0014x »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
So you've recalibrated the filters and oscillators and disconnected all MIDI cables?  I'm not familiar with this problem, so, unless some one else here has an idea, contact DSI.

email: support@davesmithinstruments.com

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
I have re-calibrated filters and oscillators, yes. I haven't been using any MIDI cables. This is upsetting. I will contact DSI.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:32:51 PM »
Don't worry; they'll take good care of you.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
Don't worry; they'll take good care of you.

Thank you for all your help, so far (btw).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
No problem.  I'm sorry you're having this issue.  But don't worry, it'll be taken care of.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:33:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »
Felt like I should report back on this as it has now been 3 weeks & everything has been resolved.

Contacted DSI customer service. Some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with, btw. As part of the process, I had to record my issue via video and send it to one of the reps, which makes sense, this is standard. The rep suggested it might have something to do with the PCB so DSI sent me a new PCB in the mail (after a $200 deposit). I replaced the PCB and documented the process with pictures--problem still persisted. I recorded a second video and sent it to DSI customer service. Customer service rep suggested it might be an issue with the keybed & that they have never seen this before. A new keybed was sent to my address, which I received this week. Spent some time yesterday replacing the entire keybed (a somewhat laborious and lengthy process) and today, finally, I can play my Prophet '08 sans problèmes!

Perhaps this information might be of help to somebody else in the future, provided they have the same or a similar problem, though, oddly enough, as I mentioned before, it seems I am the first to have had this type of issue with the Prophet '08.

Anyway, thumbs up, it's done now!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
That's great to hear, but I'm sorry you had to spend the money.  It really is fabulous that so much maintenance/repair work can be handled in this way.  Once upon a time, it was always a matter of dropping off an instrument at a shop or mailing it to the company, which could be costly, time-consuming, and frustrating in all sorts of ways.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
Thanks for flagging this!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »
I'm sorry you had to spend the money.

The $200 deposit will actually be refunded to me, once I mail back the (not?) faulty PCB. I apologize if my explanation suggested the deposit was not going to be refunded. Total blunder on my part! Furthermore, to mail back the part, I will be sent a prepaid shipping label. So all I need to do is find a suitable (or the same) shipping box and tape it all up!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 09:23:50 PM »
Super!  You couldn't have asked for more.