Prophet 6 USB failure (yet another fault)

Prophet 6 USB failure (yet another fault)
« on: June 03, 2024, 02:39:47 AM »
Had my P6 from new, well out of warranty now. But after 2 failed voice cards I now have a failed midi USB port. Support have confirmed that the USB chip is at fault by process of elimination. I don't use the USB midi port often but would like it working.

To be honest I have been pretty dissapointed with the qaulity of components on this synth. 2 faulty voice cards replaced under warranty and problems with the screen printing in some places as well as bad rubber degradation on some knobs.

I have been quoted a price tag of several hundred £ by support for a new controller board to solve the USB issue. (I have not used powered hubs or anything unsuitable). Around £400 to fix a non functional USB socket?? come on.

Just wanted to gauge what other forum members think of this as it seems pretty poor with yet another failure afew years in and a potential high cost added to an already high premium instrument pricetag.

Cheers Folks.

dslsynth

Re: Prophet 6 USB failure (yet another fault)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 02:55:50 PM »
Have Sequential's out-of-warranty repair pricing changed? It used to USD 25 per circuit board. What is it now?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 03:59:38 AM »
Have Sequential's out-of-warranty repair pricing changed? It used to USD 25 per circuit board. What is it now?

Well no mention of that low repair cost in the U.K technical support recieved so far! Still the lowest quote for fixing the faulty board is in the hundreds.

Found this just now (mentions the 25 USD fee)
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/14ggw55/psa_sequential_offers_selfrepair_parts_services/

Cheers

BT

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 08:11:13 AM »
Repairs done in our San Francisco office are still $25 per incident. However, we now have repair partners around the globe who set their repair fees according to their local pricing structures. Sorry you're running into higher fees elsewhere - what you're seeing seems to be standard repair costs, in terms of synth-specific electronic repairs.
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 08:53:16 AM »
Repairs done in our San Francisco office are still $25 per incident. However, we now have repair partners around the globe who set their repair fees according to their local pricing structures. Sorry you're running into higher fees elsewhere - what you're seeing seems to be standard repair costs, in terms of synth-specific electronic repairs.
Thanks very much for confirming that this is the case.

Surely I can ship my faulty board back to the US and pay for a replacement and shipping cheaper than a repair via 'Focusrite' here in the u.k. Would be more preferable to do this than a repair which might have more problems down the line.

BT

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 09:30:43 AM »
Sure thing! To be clear, Sequential HQ is the authorized service center for USA/South America/Canada. From what I've seen of international shipping costs lately, shipping your instrument to the US for repair would likely be extremely expensive.
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 10:00:37 AM »
Sure thing! To be clear, Sequential HQ is the authorized service center for USA/South America/Canada. From what I've seen of international shipping costs lately, shipping your instrument to the US for repair would likely be extremely expensive.

wouldnt ship the whole synth, just the mainboard. Doesnt make sense to ship the whole thing! And there are some decent reliable and cost effective carriage companies from u.k

Cheers