Next firmware update?

Next firmware update?
« on: May 20, 2024, 07:58:18 PM »
It's been almost a year since the last firmware update. I'm wondering if a new one will ever be published to correct the bug where the Page 2 Aftertouch Amount parameter is not working when LFO mode is set to OB-8, and still sends the maximum amount? It works okay when LFO mode is set to OB-X/Xa.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Prophet REV2 (16V), VC340

SMV

Re: Next firmware update?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 02:48:40 AM »
Yes, true.
Besides the bugs it should be nice to have the arp bpm shown and the clock divider feature.
SMV

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 02:04:39 PM »

Some thoughts,
  • Unless I am missing something the modulation paddle is normally only effective in one direction. When the modulation paddle is pulled downward it proportionally engages modulation. It doesn't seem to have a function when pulled up.

Can we give it a purpose? Perhaps in Page 2, give settings for what get changed and range. Options like filter modulation, filter amount, OSC2 pitch, macros?

I would like the option for non-quantized oscillator pitch settings, combined with allowing for specific tuning chances to be save with the patch. When using cross modulation, the pitch can drift considerably. Essentially allowing for a patch that sounds great, but is hopelessly out of tune to be made usable.

Split and Double modes could benefit from allowing a different base tuning for the constituent patches.

I have one problem when I play... I run into the Transpose Up button causing a jarring change in pitch. A way to optionally lock them, or a mode requiring two click to engage the change would be helpful. Otherwise, I'm going to have to become a better player ;)

I love my OBX8!
    -Rob

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 03:42:34 PM »
I been asking this from the beginning.

The Envelopes are digital, so please (respectfully) add in page two a delay parameter and a loop (on or off) for each envelop.  It would really expand the sound design possibly to the next level.

SMV

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 09:05:13 AM »
Yes, the mod paddle is just working in one way. The other side is totally lost. So, they could add it as a mod source for a selectable destination
SMV

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:52:26 AM »
I am really keen for obx8 synth to receive midi cc's for both lower and upper patches at the same time when in double mode. It could be controlling both patches simultaneously with one cc and on same midi channel, or simultaneously using cc's on different midi channels for upper and lower patches.

Currently, I can only get ccs to control either lower OR upper, depending on which one's LED is blinking rather than both at same time.

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:19:16 PM »
Hi guys,

No bad ideas, right?

Feature Requests:

1. Cross mod:
  • I love that triangle cross mod. I would love it if we could get a Page 2 option to dial-back that panel cross mod without simply lowering the volume of the OSC.
  • Allow us to select cross mod alternative waveform pairings (assuming this is not hard-wired). *Pipe dream

2. LFO Section:
  • LFO Clock Rate Sync/Multiplier Mode
  • Allow one or either LFO to modulate:
    • Stereo Panning
    • Resonance

3. Oscillators:
  • Enable a continuous oscillator tuning mode instead of quantized (Page 2). This would help with tuning a cross-mod patch that get's pitch shifted.
  • Allow of extended range detuning at least +/- 50 cents.
  • Extend the patch transposition and detune available in dual mode to regular patches. Again for tuning cross-mod patches. A work-around could be to allow a combination patch to have only an upper entry and nothing for a lower entry. This would allow all 8 voices to sound from a single patch but benefitting for the tuning options.
  • It would be nice to find key/knob combinations to control OSC1,2 and Noise volumes on the front panel without engaging Page 2.

4.  Filter :
  • So we round-robin 3 modes now, can we enable the ability to round-robin all six? Then we avoid page 2
  • It would be beyond amazing to have graduated routing of the VCO's to the filter. I know that some Curtis chips support this natively. FM for miles!

5. Chord Mode :
  • Allow for a reversible split in chord mode. So you can play chords with bass notes. This can be achieved with a split, but then limited to 4 voices.
  • Allow chord mode to be a default arpeggio providing both order and velocity. Keyboard would then act as the transposition.

6. Modulation Controller:
  • Let us utilize the non-modulation axis for something. Filter voltage feels like an obvious choice.
  • In addition to swapping directions, allowing the levers to switch roles to match modern (literally anything after the vintage OBs) orientation.

7. Midi
  • Let the upper and lower patches receive midi on separate channels.
  • Implement Poly Chain so us poor Oberheim customers can also have 16 voices like those lucky Behringer kids. This could possibly cause some nut job to actually own two OBX8's.

8. Display
  • You're storing a parameter value in memory, how about showing us an integer representation for the knobs?
  • When showing a parameter value, emulating a 7 segment display might be fun!

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:27:45 PM »
FILE A REPORT ON THE OBERHEIM WEBSITE SUPPORT PAGE.

Hi guys,

No bad ideas, right?

Feature Requests:

1. Cross mod:
  • I love that triangle cross mod. I would love it if we could get a Page 2 option to dial-back that panel cross mod without simply lowering the volume of the OSC.
  • Allow us to select cross mod alternative waveform pairings (assuming this is not hard-wired). *Pipe dream

2. LFO Section:
  • LFO Clock Rate Sync/Multiplier Mode
  • Allow one or either LFO to modulate:
    • Stereo Panning
    • Resonance

3. Oscillators:
  • Enable a continuous oscillator tuning mode instead of quantized (Page 2). This would help with tuning a cross-mod patch that get's pitch shifted.
  • Allow of extended range detuning at least +/- 50 cents.
  • Extend the patch transposition and detune available in dual mode to regular patches. Again for tuning cross-mod patches. A work-around could be to allow a combination patch to have only an upper entry and nothing for a lower entry. This would allow all 8 voices to sound from a single patch but benefitting for the tuning options.
  • It would be nice to find key/knob combinations to control OSC1,2 and Noise volumes on the front panel without engaging Page 2.

4.  Filter :
  • So we round-robin 3 modes now, can we enable the ability to round-robin all six? Then we avoid page 2
  • It would be beyond amazing to have graduated routing of the VCO's to the filter. I know that some Curtis chips support this natively. FM for miles!

5. Chord Mode :
  • Allow for a reversible split in chord mode. So you can play chords with bass notes. This can be achieved with a split, but then limited to 4 voices.
  • Allow chord mode to be a default arpeggio providing both order and velocity. Keyboard would then act as the transposition.

6. Modulation Controller:
  • Let us utilize the non-modulation axis for something. Filter voltage feels like an obvious choice.
  • In addition to swapping directions, allowing the levers to switch roles to match modern (literally anything after the vintage OBs) orientation.

7. Midi
  • Let the upper and lower patches receive midi on separate channels.
  • Implement Poly Chain so us poor Oberheim customers can also have 16 voices like those lucky Behringer kids. This could possibly cause some nut job to actually own two OBX8's.

8. Display
  • You're storing a parameter value in memory, how about showing us an integer representation for the knobs?
  • When showing a parameter value, emulating a 7 segment display might be fun!