Sequential on weekly TV

Sequential on weekly TV
« on: April 10, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »
Prophet on national TV.   The American Idol backing band keyboard guy has a Sequential Instrument pretty prominent in his keyboard array.  Not really sure since it looked shorter to me, but I think it was a Prophet 6.  Just an observation.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

Re: Sequential on weekly TV
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 06:22:22 PM »
Prophet on national TV.   The American Idol backing band keyboard guy has a Sequential Instrument pretty prominent in his keyboard array.  Not really sure since it looked shorter to me, but I think it was a Prophet 6.  Just an observation.

I notice the P6 on stage fairly regularly.. I'd say more often than any other analog that comes to mind.  I think there's a number of reasons for this.  Fairly compact, versatile, punchy and cuts through, very immediate to program, solidly built, etc.  Some other choices like Prophet 5/10, OBX-8 might be a bit large to gig with for some.

I've thought about this from time to time, if I were gigging and could only take one of my synths which one would it be?  Probably the P6..   Not because it necessarily is the best sounding keyboard I own (although its certainly a top pick), but because of the specific combination of the factors above.  It's a great board for my use (studio) but it also has this "stage personality" where it sort of begs to be taken out and gigged.

It kind of makes sense, as it was well known that one of Dave's favorite pass times was to go to live music events and he enjoyed seeing his creations being played on stage.  I think that fact influenced many of his designs.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 07:37:54 AM »

I've thought about this from time to time, if I were gigging and could only take one of my synths which one would it be?  Probably the P6..   Not because it necessarily is the best sounding keyboard I own (although its certainly a top pick), but because of the specific combination of the factors above.  It's a great board for my use (studio) but it also has this "stage personality" where it sort of begs to be taken out and gigged.

I know where you’re coming from. I too have a studio-only P6 and have often thought that it would be a great synth to gig with. Great sound, light and very simple to program. In fact, if I could, out of all the instruments that I have, I’d take it with me when I move along to synth heaven. :)
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 09:02:56 AM »
Matt Johnson gigs with a P6 (as week as a Montage 6 and a Vintage Vibe 64) and covers loads of territory with it.