New Oberheim Synth?

New Oberheim Synth?
« on: April 25, 2024, 12:49:08 PM »
Apparently there was a leak of a possible new Oberheim Synth based on the Take 5.  Complete with the SEM filter a la ObX.
Hopefully it will make a showing at Superbooth.

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/04/leak-oberheim-teo-5-a-budget-oberheim-synthesizer-a-la-take-5.html

LPF83

Re: New Oberheim Synth?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 03:29:42 PM »
Apparently there was a leak of a possible new Oberheim Synth based on the Take 5.  Complete with the SEM filter a la ObX.
Hopefully it will make a showing at Superbooth.

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/04/leak-oberheim-teo-5-a-budget-oberheim-synthesizer-a-la-take-5.html

Assuming the leak is legit, it probably won't be of interest to me or those already owning its big brother (OB-6) or its daddy (OB-X8), but at the proposed price point I think it would find an audience, and be a nice alternative to low cost knock-offs from Boringer and probably sound better.

Also it wouldn't exist unless the Take5 has been a good seller, so I would assume it might achieve similar success.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 03:31:18 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 07:45:12 PM »
A few things. I see Sequential and Oberheim are continuing with “analog” only. Thus continuing to confirm my hunch that it’s a Focusrite call to delegate them to a specific form of synthesis.

Also...”Made In China” on the back. I thought with the merger, instruments would still me made in the USA. Not that I’m against Chinese manufactured products...but the big question is will the price point reflect this or will the brand name dictate the price.

I also don’t get “TEO” in regards to the name. Take 5 I get...what the hell is TEO?

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 12:14:26 PM »
TEO are the initials of Tom Oberheim’s full name. Imo Sequential completely nailed it with the T5 and Oberheim hopefully soon with the other T5. The form factor is absolutely great for the stage and at the same time convenient for the space-conscious analog fiend.

We might see a hybrid instrument based on the ARM platform in the future. After all, hybrids are Sequential’s specialty, too. It’s all a matter of time.

g3o2

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 03:02:43 PM »

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 08:14:00 PM »
I appreciate the form factor but I do hope we will see this type of engine in a larger Polyphonic synth. I’d rather not have all their future products scaled down...especially a hybrid.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 08:36:58 PM »
I appreciate the form factor but I do hope we will see this type of engine in a larger Polyphonic synth. I’d rather not have all their future products scaled down...especially a hybrid.

I've been itching for a polyphonic Pro3 myself.  --  And an upgrade to the Pro3 firmware.

But on this...  just having that [30 Source?] ModMatrix makes it awesome!
  though... wtf is up with no mixer?..   - I hope there is one in the UI.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:38:47 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:57:37 AM »

I've been itching for a polyphonic Pro3 myself.  --  And an upgrade to the Pro3 firmware.

I didn’t even notice that. Bizarre. There must be some type of parameter in the menu. It would be an oversight if not.

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:33:03 AM »

I didn’t even notice that. Bizarre. There must be some type of parameter in the menu. It would be an oversight if not.
Guessing it’ll be like on the X8. Possibly hold the button and turn the “value” encoder to set the level.

Looks like only a single pulse width knob like on the X8 too, with presumably individual control in a menu.