Gforce and OBX8

Gforce and OBX8
« on: March 13, 2024, 07:03:05 PM »
Hi there,
I’ve been thinking about buying an obx8m for a while, the sound of it is a beauty but then lately on the official oberheim instagram page i discovered the Gforce obx vst.
They nailed the sound. So now it’s hard to pull the trigger on the real thing.
Any user if the gforce vst that can give me a feedback? Or maybe an owner if both the vst and the obx8.
Thanks

Re: Gforce and OBX8
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 01:05:46 AM »
It depends on what you’re looking for: If it’s just the sound the software will save you big bucks. If you’re looking for a premium instrument and an Oberheim experience no software can take you there.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 10:51:44 AM »
I agree with Analog Prophet. The hands-on experience is not to be discarded. Personally, I've never felt comfortable moving a cursor around to tweak virtual knobs and pressing buttons. But I'm old school. I also agree that GForce software sounds amazingly close to the hardware. So it's up to you to decide.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 12:35:29 PM »
I was going to answer shortly after you posted the question. And I saw Analog Prophet answered, and I thought, “Yes, exactly”. And then Alain answered, and I thought, “Yes, exactly”. Hehe - so here I am posting the exact same thing. I see from a couple of your other posts that you have been trying to decide between a P5 and the OBX8. And from this post it sounds perhaps like you are leaning toward the Oberheim. Your question about hardware vs software is an excellent one and well worth considering.

My take on it is that if your primary goal is for capturing the sound for recording in your music, then you should go with the plugin. Unless you are recording to analog and distributing music to an analog medium, then it seems that one can argue there is no benefit (sonically speaking) for using an analog synth in that process. I don’t know if it is even possible in today’s world to release music that does not undergo A/D and D/A conversions somewhere along the line. Maybe record to tape and then have someone produce vinyl records from that without any digital parts in the middle? It seems unlikely to me.

But if you are wanting the knobs to turn and the physical interaction with the instrument, then I think it is definitely worth considering getting the hardware. I’m sure it is different for every person, but I truly find inspiration and joy in playing the “real” thing that I do not find in software plugins. I created a song recently ( ) that only exists because I was playing with some melodic ideas on a physical Minimoog Model D. I suspect I could have gotten that same sound from one of the many Mini emulations (sorry for the bad word play). But I would not have been jamming and enjoying the sound and timbre in the first place with a software plugin. I think that at least half of the songs I create (bad as they are) come about simply because of the initial noodling I do on a physical synthesizer.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 05:50:15 PM »
Ain’t nothing like the real thing baby.

g3o2

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 05:25:50 PM »
Just go for the software to see. In the best case, you’ll have sustainably saved a few thousand bucks, in the worst case, it will cost you an additional 60-100 bucks on top of the hardware’s cost. There may be  a reason why you’ve got second thoughts.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 02:56:34 AM »
First of all thanks for your replies. I really appreciate them. :)

At the end i'm going hardware. In the last months i've been considering really a huge ammount of synths but the obie simply put them all away. Recently i had a really good deal on a moog one that is a total monster: superb quality, features sound design and looks. But i was surprised that i still wanted the obie over that. After a lot of thinking and hearing stuff i think best combo is to have both hardware and digital. you benefit the advantages of both. Digital nowadays is mad good BUT you have a different gas while working on hardware. period.
For making a comparison i thinks it's like to seeing a picture on internet (digital) and seeing the same picture in a museum (analog). They are the same picture but the experience of the real thing is EXCITING. Just that.

I made this post cause for a while i've been thinking: if i can get the sound (that is the most important thing) digitallly for cheap why spend big bucks for hardware? I could invest that money on other synths. But as you said here, by now you buy hardware for the hands on experience. And i want that with the obx8. ;D

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 11:26:57 AM »
The OBX8 is an epic synth. It is expensive but it incorporates the OBX and the OBXA and OB 8 presets and filters. The synth action has velocity and aftertouch as well via the fatar action. Vintage sound with modern upgrades velocity aftertouch and MIDI that the vintage OBs lacked. It also has stereo panning. Splits and layers and bitimbral. Vintage OBs like the OBX, OBXA and OB8  are expensive and hard to find and maintain. Used to have a OBXA many years ago. Great synth as well.
The OBX8 is the best polyphonic analog synth I’ve ever had and also the most expensive.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 11:43:20 AM »
First of all thanks for your replies. I really appreciate them. :)

At the end i'm going hardware. In the last months i've been considering really a huge ammount of synths but the obie simply put them all away. Recently i had a really good deal on a moog one that is a total monster: superb quality, features sound design and looks. But i was surprised that i still wanted the obie over that. After a lot of thinking and hearing stuff i think best combo is to have both hardware and digital. you benefit the advantages of both. Digital nowadays is mad good BUT you have a different gas while working on hardware. period.
For making a comparison i thinks it's like to seeing a picture on internet (digital) and seeing the same picture in a museum (analog). They are the same picture but the experience of the real thing is EXCITING. Just that.

I made this post cause for a while i've been thinking: if i can get the sound (that is the most important thing) digitallly for cheap why spend big bucks for hardware? I could invest that money on other synths. But as you said here, by now you buy hardware for the hands on experience. And i want that with the obx8. ;D

I'm a fan of big old synths, and of hands-on experience. I say that as a fan of GForce software. I have their M-Tron and VSM. But yeah - I "hear" sounds as much with my eyes and hands when I'm playing music. I don't mean I have synesthesia, just that the full-meal tactile experience is what does it for me. I use loads of other soft synths when I need to, but screens and cursors and mouse clicks do nothing but take me away from the place I truly wish to be.

I'm excited for me. You'll have a blast, certainly. Congrats!