Aftertouch problem?

Aftertouch problem?
« on: March 08, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »
Hi everyone. I've sent a message to Oberheim/Sequential about a major issue with my OB-X8.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing on their OB-X8 keyboard? From a basic patch, when I light up the OSC1 knob in the Levers section, to get a vibrato effect, and I want to use the Aftertouch to control it by lighting up the TOUCH knob to the Mod position, I get varying pitch modulation by pressing down on a key.

But when I go in the PAGE 2 setting and adjust Aftertouch Amount, it makes no difference. Even if I put the amount to 0 there is still the full amount of modulation from the aftertouch.
It does work correctly for the Filter though.
I'm currently waiting for a reply from them on this. Maybe I got a defective unit? Or it may be a software bug?

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: Aftertouch problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 12:09:57 PM »
Doesn’t aftertouch control only the other LFO? i.e. the one on the main panel and not the one in the bender box?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 04:20:29 PM »
Doesn’t aftertouch control only the other LFO? i.e. the one on the main panel and not the one in the bender box?

No. It controls the modulation level much like the left lever in the Levers section. And it works, but always to the maximum.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 05:52:10 PM »
Hi everyone. I've sent a message to Oberheim/Sequential about a major issue with my OB-X8.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing on their OB-X8 keyboard? From a basic patch, when I light up the OSC1 knob in the Levers section, to get a vibrato effect, and I want to use the Aftertouch to control it by lighting up the TOUCH knob to the Mod position, I get varying pitch modulation by pressing down on a key.

But when I go in the PAGE 2 setting and adjust Aftertouch Amount, it makes no difference. Even if I put the amount to 0 there is still the full amount of modulation from the aftertouch.
It does work correctly for the Filter though.
I'm currently waiting for a reply from them on this. Maybe I got a defective unit? Or it may be a software bug?

My unit does that too.  Same behavior controlling the OB-X8 from an external MIDI controller.

I get around it by varying the aftertouch sensitivity on the external MIDI controller.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 10:22:23 PM »
As I stated in another thread, someone named Sally from Oberheim Support has confirmed that the issue with aftertouch controlling the modulation incorrectly is a software bug. The programming team at Sequential/Oberheim is aware of it and trying to correct it in an upcoming firmware update. No release date estimate was given though.

SMV

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 08:07:36 AM »
I posted this problem om this forum the 16 of June 2023, but apart of a strange reply, nobody took care about it ;)
SMV

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 11:57:18 AM »
I posted this problem om this forum the 16 of June 2023, but apart of a strange reply, nobody took care about it ;)
Did you email sequential support about it though? That’s the only guaranteed way to get it looked into as the Sequential staff don’t read every single post on here.

SMV

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 02:53:25 AM »
I know it. I was just pointing out that i found this issue many months ago and i wrote it on this forum, to see if someone had the same issue. But strangely nobody in the forum, cared about it
SMV

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 01:49:25 PM »
PROBLEM SOLVED

The Aftertouch software bug seems to have corrected itself!

A reminder of the initial problem I was having: Controlling the modulation from the Aftertouch was not smooth and the maximum amount of it did not work when setting the Aftertouch Amount setting in page 2.

After I played my OB-X8 from another MIDI keyboard with Aftertouch and using it, it now works as expected and much more smoothly from the OB-X8's own keyboard. And the maximum amount of it can be controlled from the Page 2 Aftertouch Amount correctly now.

I don't know why the OB-X8 needed to receive external MIDI Aftertouch messages in order to correct itself, but I'm glad it did.  ;D

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 01:53:31 PM by AlainHubert »

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 06:11:58 PM »
I thought it was solved but alas it has returned today…