Prophet X one-shot samples

Prophet X one-shot samples
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »
Hi, I'm still to buy a Prophet X but heard that there are a lot of one-shot samples, eg hits etc - some people mentioned perhaps too many. I'm very confident that every aspect of the synth (and all Sequential/DSI synths) would have been carefully thought out by Dave, so wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why there are so many one-shots (if that is even accurate)? Doesn't look like it is possible to time stretch?

Sequential | Oberheim

Re: Prophet X one-shot samples
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 02:46:44 PM »
Thanks, looks like the one-shot samples may be useful for the granular style effects/looping. Would have thought it would be more useful to have more longer samples, but perhaps it was a balancing act between number of samples and storage capacity...

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 02:56:09 PM »
Thanks, looks like the one-shot samples may be useful for the granular style effects/looping. Would have thought it would be more useful to have more longer samples, but perhaps it was a balancing act between number of samples and storage capacity...

Where are you getting your info? There are plenty of multi samples on board. And of course the ability to add your own multi samples..

Plus one shots are great for certain things not just granular stuff

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 03:00:02 PM »
It was from a post I saw on reddit. I guess I don't know enough about the techniques and functionality - most demos I've seen barely scratch the surface

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 03:00:46 PM »
Aha, Reddit!
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:46:51 PM »
By default all of the factory samples are multi samples. This is what “sample stretch” is for. To select that specific sample and stretch it chromatically.

You can also loop any of these samples or have them as one shots.

Also another benefit for one shot samples is to emulate linear arithmetic synthesis from synths like the D50. Only the attack portion is sampled while the rest of the body of sound is synthesized.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 09:46:07 AM »
Anything percussive isn't going to lend itself naturally to looping (though of course you can always do whatever you like for particular effect.)  So any sample library that includes drums, plucked strings, pianos, and similar is invariably going to have a lot of one-shot samples.  There's a lot of content to work with in the Prophet X factory sample set – and the ability to bring in anything you feel is missing.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 08:39:58 PM »
All factory samples are multi-sample by default. I find the collection not too diverse.