Future of the Prophet X

Future of the Prophet X
« on: March 03, 2024, 03:04:15 AM »
Hi, I have always wanted to buy a Sequential/DSI instrument and now have my mind set on a Prophet X. It seems that 8Dio washed their hands of this a long time ago which is a real shame, but still doesn't detract from the quality of the synth. Is the feeling that the PX is on the chopping block for being discontinued like the PXL, or perhaps (probably unlikely) a PX2 is in the works?...

Re: Future of the Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 10:45:49 AM »
Not sure if it is on the chopping block but I got a reply a couple of days ago for a feature request that "we are no longer accepting feature requests for the Prophet X".  Btw, I had requested that voice number (in addition to note number) be a mod source similar to voice spread on the Take 5.  It's my favorite synth regardless.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 12:36:38 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know. At the end of the day it's a terrific synth. What I'd hate is if I buy it then Sequential announce a new version! But I think that's unlikely...

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 07:27:48 PM »
Sequential will never do another synth like the Prophet X. I firmly believe they are going to remain “analog only”. No FM, wavetables, samples etc. Those things will be delegated to Novation.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 01:15:38 AM »
Plus if they were to venture into samples again I don't think there are that many sample library producers who have a balance of quality and range like 8Dio do. I agree, looks like Prophet X will be one of a kind for Sequential...

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 06:33:02 PM »
Well sort of one of a kind, they had the Prophet 2000 sampler in the 80s.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 01:54:09 AM »
Ah yeah  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 11:22:53 AM »
Even if it gets replaced it is an amazing synth that gives me the Prophet sound in my arsenal. I got mine four years back at a new price I would have been mad to pass up!
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 01:53:19 PM »
I'm still itching to buy mine!

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 01:32:22 AM »
I firmly believe they are going to remain “analog only”. No FM, wavetables, samples etc.

Well, Sequential tend to reuse technologies in future products. For instance the Pro 3 moog filter ended up as the core of Trigon-6. And Pro 3 have a pretty interesting wavetable implementation. So I would be very surprised if no future Sequential product will feature wavetables. Plus that hybrid analog/digital synthesizers have been part of the DSI/Sequential DNA since the beginning. But time will tell!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature