New Moog Polysynth?

New Moog Polysynth?
« on: February 13, 2024, 11:32:18 AM »
Spotted at the half time show performance by Usher and now Andrew Huang's post

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fandrewismusic%2Fposts%2F940154620808982&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="702" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Looks like 5 octaves, bi timbral, patch memory, effects etc.

Re: New Moog Polysynth?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 07:21:57 PM »
There’s a bit more info on synth anatomy and the like. Definitely looks interesting though 8 voices in bitimbral mode isn’t so appealing. Still want to give it a whirl.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 09:14:41 PM »
Personally I’ve always hated the sound of analog synths over 10 voices. It becomes too sonically cluttered with the natural phasing and it’s difficult to sit in a mix.
Jupiter 8, OBX, CS80...sometimes less is more.

Looking forward to this. Still can’t tell if there’s onboard effects though.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 04:24:02 AM »
Personally I’ve always hated the sound of analog synths over 10 voices. It becomes too sonically cluttered with the natural phasing and it’s difficult to sit in a mix.
Jupiter 8, OBX, CS80...sometimes less is more.

Looking forward to this. Still can’t tell if there’s onboard effects though.

Most of the high poly count synths I've had are never really playing 10 voices through the same channel in that sense.

For example, the 3rd Wave (24 voices)...   A lot of the sounds I'm creating consist of 3 parts (voices get divided down based on number of parts, so 3 parts is going to be 8 voices of "playable polyphony").  So that might be a binaural pad with 8 voices left and 8 right, then a third part maybe an arp, or bass or textural kind of sound up the middle.

But the cluttered / phasey sound you describe is one reason most attempts at a polysynth by Moog have never grabbed my attention.  Moog voices in combination with ladder filter always seem better suited to monotimbral use to my ears.  But I mean they can only sell so many Model Ds and Grandmothers so they have to try to branch out.  I will reserve judgement on this new synth until I've heard it, but based on their prior polysynths it probably won't be a buy for me.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:04:20 AM »
 I assume the Arturia system 5 software synth doesn't really count as having a Moog in my lineup   ;).    Wonder what prices will be for this?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 04:45:07 PM »
I assume the Arturia system 5 software synth doesn't really count as having a Moog in my lineup   ;).    Wonder what prices will be for this?

The only real Moogs I currently own are Minitaur and Slim Phatty...  both good sounding synths, but to my ears not the best in any category including bass.  Oddly enough, I like the vibe and sound of the "Mini D" emulation for the MPC better than the real Moogs I own, but I also know the reasons I like it are completely subjective and the harmonic qualities I like in it might not be what most folks associate with Moogs.

For mono use, I love the sound of the AS-1, Prophet 6, Pro-2...  Hmm... these are all Dave Smith creations... coinkydink? :)   I just wish Sequential would do a proper reissue of the Pro One.

As for the Moog Mirror -- I will reserve judgement until I've heard the thing...  historically I have a medium to high love for the sound of Moog monosynths when tweaked properly, but can't say the same for their polysynths of any era.   

This one could potentially be different...  with the change in leadership and a departure from blue collar politics, maybe the final decision on sound will end up in different hands and a real winner will emerge?

If I had to guess on price I'm going to say $3.5k ish USD if the final product is anything like their other products from the last couple of decades.  Maybe more if they really stumble on something sonically great rather than relying on the prestiage of a brand name created by someone no longer around.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC