LFO frequency. Doesn’t seem to hit audio rate?

LFO frequency. Doesn’t seem to hit audio rate?
« on: February 04, 2024, 12:27:49 PM »
I might be wrong but can anyone confirm whether the LFOs get up to audio rate or not? Sounds like they maybe get up to 1khz but I read in an older gearspace post by a dsi employee that they can technically hit 11khz.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: LFO frequency. Doesn’t seem to hit audio rate?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 06:12:38 AM »
I might be wrong but can anyone confirm whether the LFOs get up to audio rate or not? Sounds like they maybe get up to 1khz but I read in an older gearspace post by a dsi employee that they can technically hit 11khz.

1kHz meets the definition of "audio rate" for an LFO. The term doesn't mean they have to cover the entire audio spectrum. I haven't measured how fast the LFOs go in Hz, but it shouldn't be hard to generate a pure sine at a very high frequency from the oscillator and then amplitude modulate that with the LFO and look at the result on an oscilloscope plugin. The frequency of the amplitude envelope should be pretty easy to identify, then.

There might be some "headroom" above the LFO frequency range that you can directly set, perhaps if you use the mod matrix to send other signals to LFO frequency when it's already set at max, but I haven't tried it personally, so I have no idea if it clips or if it can push it beyond what you're able to set via the LFO's controls explicitly.

Someone else here may have already done a thorough, scientific analysis of the LFO frequencies and how to maximize them, if you search a bit. There were some precise measurements of various settings people have worked up over time.

Of course if you want even higher audio rate oscillators, you can use the mod matrix to map an audio osc itself to a destination. :)
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...