Talk me out between P6(Mint Condition) or Rev 2(New)

Talk me out between P6(Mint Condition) or Rev 2(New)
« on: January 25, 2024, 04:11:10 AM »
I'm buying the first new poly synth
Have been considering and researching so much
and scoped down to between the Rev 2 and P6

I like them both
Especially the P6 'ANALOG' vibe
but decided to go for the Rev 2 because of its price* and more keys*
(since it's my first ever keyboard I think having more key would be essential)

**But now everything have changed**

I found a musician in my hometown selling the Prophet 6 (special edition signed by Dave Smith)
So its the
-Prophet 6, Used, Mint Condition
-Prophet Rev 2 - 16 voice, New
*at the almost same price(The P6 is about $200 cheaper than the new Rev 2 - 16 voice)

I have never own a synth before this is my first one. I'm a newby here
Actually I'm not much into buying used product or instrument but this is the hard one for me
I don't know if there will be any issue with the used P6 in the future

The current owner claims he take care of his instruments very well
And the Prophet 6 works perfectly

Please talk me out !
Feel free to leave your opinion

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 04:45:17 AM by NATDHANAI_C »

Re: Talk me out between P6(Mint Condition) or Rev 2(New)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:42:26 AM »
Well, I have not yet played a Rev 2 so that might perhaps disqualify my opinion but I have had a P6 for several years now. Of the 7 synths that I have (including a Sequential Prophet X) it is my go-to keyboard for all sorts of duties. It can sound sweet or brash or anything in between and is very simple to program.  In fact, I plan to take it with me to heaven when the time comes.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 07:42:22 AM »
Hard to say without knowing what you already know about synthesis, but I've owned both and they're quite different. The P6 is more of a solo/lead/bass synth, the Rev2 does that ok but it's really a lush pad, movement, layer synth which the P6 cannot do at all. The Rev2 is also a great keyboard-player's synth in the two-handed jamming sense. So think about what role you want it to play - if you want a poly analogue, do you want it for one-handed chords, a little right-hand jamming, jazz /rock solos and leads, a funky bassline? The P6 is ideal. If you want lush pads, fat two-handed stacks, or a bass split, well only the Rev2 (of those two) will give you that.

Both are superb at what they are, and I have no hesitation whatsoever buying a Sequential synth used if I can put my hands on it first and make sure it wasn't abused - Sequential stand by their gear and you'll have good support and parts for a long time no matter which you go. Pick based on whether or not you'll actually find it a useful addition to your music and playing style!
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 09:37:46 AM »
I've got both - the P6 is an excellent synth with great core sound, dedicated high pass filter per voice, and good osc FM capabilities, but a more limited sound palette overall. 

The Rev 2 also sounds great, and is super versatile.  Its got both 4-Pole and 2-Pole Low Pass filter modes... the 2-Pole is key for getting brighter sounds (where the 4-Pole is darker).    It's bi-timbral, which means you can stack two sounds, or create binaural/stereophonic patches, or keyboard splits with two sounds.    It has more voices (16), meaning you can play bigger/atmospheric pads (even stacked ones), without running into voice stealing.   It has a significantly deeper sound engine, with four LFOs per voice, four ENVs per voice, and a nice 16 slot mod matrix...  so you can design much more complex, nuanced, animated sounds on Rev 2.   In addition, the gated/modulation sequencer on the Rev 2 is very good, allowing you to further design motion into patches or sequence notes. 

I personally would keep the Rev 2 if choosing only one... but as others have mentioned, it depends on what type of music you're playing and how you'll be using it.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 11:59:52 AM »
The P6 is more of a solo/lead/bass synth

For my part, I totally disagree with this. I think the P6 is amazing for pads.

Of course the Rev 2 has more modulation possibilities, but the P6 can make incredible pads - and can provide more ‘movement’ than people give it credit for in my opinion.

I say this as someone whose favourite ever synth is the Prophet 08 (which of course has a huge amount in common with the Rev2).

My advice to the op would be if this is your first synth then you probably can’t go wrong with either. Some things to bear in mind - the P6 is a 6 voice synth, i.e. you can only play 6 notes at any time, whereas the Rev2 is 8 or 16 voices depending on which model you go for. My other bit of advice is to, if you can, have a play on both of them and see what you prefer. Maybe one will feel more ‘inspirational’ in some way. And of course, there are many many videos of both synths out there, maybe you may just prefer the sound of one over the other. But in the end, both are hugely capable and great synths imo.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 06:37:23 AM »
The P6 is more of a solo/lead/bass synth

For my part, I totally disagree with this. I think the P6 is amazing for pads.

Agreed.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 10:01:00 AM »
Hi All! 

I own a P6 Desktop and I previously owned a Tetra.

I Love them both!

You have to place relative importance on

Best Sound
Ease of Programming
Staying in tune
Polyphony and layering
Modulation Options
Studio or Performance

P6 wins with rich sound and wysiwyg programming. You can create huge programs using 2 PWM octave oscillators, but you have to sacrifice Pitch or PWM LFO, or you have to be creative with 1 oscillator, poly mod, sub oscillator and effects.

The Rev2 digital oscillators drift less than the P5, and you can play more notes.  To build rich sounds, you have to menu dive for your modulations, sequences and effects.

My P6 stays at home, and I loaded samples of it into MainStage and a Wavestate for live use.  You have to choose if you want to carry it to a show or leave it in the studio.

I prefer simple tools with constraints over limitless modulation and menu diving.  Look at your workflow and decide what is best for you.

Sam in NJ USA

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 02:06:55 AM »
oops, Rev 2 has digitally controlled oscillators.  Sam

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 10:53:37 AM »
Thank you!! Everyone!! I probably go for Prophet 6
Thanks for the opinions. It helps me to decide very much !!

So glad I'm joining the Prophet family with you guys :-D

Cheers !
Nott, from Thailand

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 11:33:13 AM »

Cheers !
Nott, from Thailand

Hey Nott - I think you'll be very happy with the Prophet 6. It's a modern classic and while, of course, it's capable of an incredible range of sounds, it's a fairly straightforward machine with which to learn about synthesis.

And yeah - you've already seen that the Sequential forum is a friendly, supportive place to hang out and ask questions/talk synths. Sequential support are famously helpful, too.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 01:52:03 PM »

Cheers !
Nott, from Thailand
Good choice. Welcome to the forums.
I bought a Rev 2 and returned it. Then I bought an OB-6 and a Prophet 6. I don't miss the sound of the Rev 2 at all. But when I brought home the OB-6 and the P-6, they both immediately sounded far more lively then the Rev 2. Four years later, they're both my top 2 synths out of the bunch.
The P-6 is historic since it marks the rebirth of Sequential. It's already considered a future classic, and with Dave's Smith's autograph on it, you can't get any better than that. So I really hope you bought it and are enjoying it, because THAT'S one special synth right there.