How accurate should I expect tuning to be?

How accurate should I expect tuning to be?
« on: January 22, 2024, 06:20:00 PM »
Even after being on for hours, and running the tuning process, I'm still getting tuning variation, as much as ~15 cents in some cases, in different octaves of my Prophet 10. Like C4 will be +0, C5 +4, C6 -14. It's not consistent across notes and octaves, but in general the higher octaves are more out than the lower ones.

Rev 3 is on, and Vintage is at 4. Not running Round Robin.

Is this within expected limits or is this evidence of a problem that can be solved? I'm playing a lot of music where pure tuning is very important, I would love to keep using this instrument if I can tighten it up. Thanks!

Re: How accurate should I expect tuning to be?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 02:20:30 AM »
That's probably because of the setting of the vintage knob. Try with zero instead of 4.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 03:53:14 AM »
That's probably because of the setting of the vintage knob. Try with zero instead of 4.
That’s incorrect. 4 is the tightest setting. 1 is the sloppiest. The number relates the “rev” number, with 1 being the oldest revision.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 03:56:36 AM »

The vintage knob at 4  (full CCW) is Rev.4
Turning it CW makes the P-10 "older" and
at 1 (full CW) it is Rev.1 and most out of tune .....

There's no "zero",  but at 4 it should have "no effect"....

To OP, try resetting the tuning table : 
CLEAR CALIBRATION: hold RECORD and press TUNE.
You will need to re-tune the synthesizer from scratch

Also read Page 44 in manual "The Tune Button"

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 04:22:55 AM »
My bad!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 10:52:24 PM »
Hey, i have a question , folks.

My Prophet 10 arrived two days ago. I love everything about it. There is something I am concerned about though :

In order for the synth to be at correct pitch, i need to turn the Master Tune knob somewhere about + 1. If it is at center detente, it is out of tune . Is this a problem ?

I've updated to Main OS 2.0.1 and Panel OS 1.1.1, already hit the Tune button about 7 or 8 times, and cleared the calibration tables once.

Is it normal to need to adjust the Master Tune knob in order to get to correct pitch ?

in other words

shouldn’t a tune of ‘0’ be in tune? Or is it normal to be somewhere other than ‘0’ in order to be in tune. Tune meaning A3 pitch is 440 hz?

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 02:43:16 AM »
As a P-5 owner since mid 80's I would say it's normal with some "flexible" settings. 
That's why the tuning knob exist in the first place.
With that said, try to tune with only OSC 1 on, OSC 2 can be "fine tuned" out of tune ...
Then check if your P-10 might be in a Transpose setting for some reason ...     :P 

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 05:34:08 AM »
As a P-5 owner since mid 80's I would say it's normal with some "flexible" settings. 
That's why the tuning knob exist in the first place.
With that said, try to tune with only OSC 1 on, OSC 2 can be "fine tuned" out of tune ...
Then check if your P-10 might be in a Transpose setting for some reason ...     :P 

Cheers !

Thank for your that, HockeBocke .

I will do as you suggest.
I see in your signature P-10 is listed. For example, on your unit, does it have to be adjusted off center detent , or '0' on the Master Tune knob sets it to perfect pitch ?

Best regards!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 02:14:12 PM »
Mostly center 12 o'clock, but it varies ...
I've also cleared the calibration table a few times since I bought the P-10 three years ago.
Then hit tune button right after start up, and then again after 15 - 20 minutes to set the
temperatur span that it's working in ....
P-10 is way more stable than my old P-5, but not "perfect", and that's the way I like it   8)
I mostly have the "Vintage knob" between 4 - 3  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:18:07 PM by HockeBocke »

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 01:53:51 PM »
Mostly center 12 o'clock, but it varies ...
I've also cleared the calibration table a few times since I bought the P-10 three years ago.
Then hit tune button right after start up, and then again after 15 - 20 minutes to set the
temperatur span that it's working in ....
P-10 is way more stable than my old P-5, but not "perfect", and that's the way I like it   8)
I mostly have the "Vintage knob" between 4 - 3  :)

Thanks for your feedback! :)

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 06:09:43 AM »
Hey, i have a question , folks.

My Prophet 10 arrived two days ago. I love everything about it. There is something I am concerned about though :

In order for the synth to be at correct pitch, i need to turn the Master Tune knob somewhere about + 1. If it is at center detente, it is out of tune . Is this a problem ?

I've updated to Main OS 2.0.1 and Panel OS 1.1.1, already hit the Tune button about 7 or 8 times, and cleared the calibration tables once.

Is it normal to need to adjust the Master Tune knob in order to get to correct pitch ?

in other words

shouldn’t a tune of ‘0’ be in tune? Or is it normal to be somewhere other than ‘0’ in order to be in tune. Tune meaning A3 pitch is 440 hz?

Yep 0 should be in tune - I think it's very likely your pitch wheel needs calibration.  Follow the pitch wheel calibration process from the manual (pasted below), and this will correct your master tune so that it's in tune at 0.

To calibrate the Pitch and Mod Wheels:
1. Set Mod wheel to its minimum setting.
2. Hold the Pitch wheel at its minimum setting.
3. While still holding the Pitch wheel down, press and hold the globals
button and press program select button 6. The low points of both
wheels are calibrated.
4. Release the Pitch wheel so that it returns to its center position. hold the
globals button and press program select button 7. The center point of
the Pitch Wheel is calibrated.
5. Set the Mod wheel to its maximum setting. Hold the Pitch wheel at its
maximum setting. While still holding the Pitch wheel at its maximum
position, press and hold the globals button and press program select
button 8. The high points of both wheels are calibrated. You can now
can play the Prophet-10 again.