Making sine lfo from triangle with recursive modulation - did you try it?

Having source as LFO in mod matrix and a destination like amp amt or OscAllFrq or something I get altered waveform trying different values, and even did a second mod slot to alter the first.
- some with doing lfo amt and some not

Waveform change for sure, even over to something like wavefolding with double bumps in between.

Or is it better to sacrifice a second lfo with double frequency or something to get an edge on each slope of the lfo.

Did anybody do this already and find out how it works?

Envelopes are simpler in that they have one slope each keypress, but an lfo is continuous while a note sounds.

If using two mod slots, does it matter which goes first?
- thinking how processor do things in realtime
- if mod slot 1 calculated before slot 2 so meaningless to let slot 2 modulate slot 1?

I just found sine lfo is nicer most of the time. If the technical term is that sine has constant angle frequency but triangle linear amplitude change. Been using a synth lately with sine lfo and like it better.

I did the same discovery using tremolo pedals for guitar, and even univibe stuff that do circular movements that sine work better.

And thinking about that FM synths usually is a sine modulating another sine as default. Creating nice harmonics, even if lfo not is audible normally.

Not to invent the wheel again, I ask before taking oscilloscope out and start investigating.
Thanks for any ideas....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:28:39 AM by Autosynther »

Prerequisite
- init patch and vca amount about 30, sustain 127
- lfo1 tri, freq 35, destination VCAEnvAmt with amount about 40
- mod slot 1 src LFO1 dest LFO1Amt

So you can get similar as documented for envelopes recursive stuff.
- something more to exponential or logarithmic
- positive gets log and negative exp
- and original triangel without any recursive stuff

I cannot say I figured out the exact values and how they work for amplitude but just extremes to see if it works and what to expect. Many synths handle modulation slots very different depending on destination.

I did with LFO1Freq as destination for mod slot with similar result.
If you add multiple mod slots to same you can extend shape of LFO over several periods even.

Mission accomplished...alter lfo waveform works, but hardly sine. Maybe there is more combinations that can fix closer to sine if diving into the math like done for pitches. But kind of like them as they are.
- combining lfo waveforms can create interesting flutter effects for pads and stuff, a bit irregular.