Prophet 10 Frequency pots max out at "7" positon

Prophet 10 Frequency pots max out at "7" positon
« on: January 05, 2024, 05:17:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

For any P10 users out there- I seem to have a weird behaviour with the Oscillator Frequecy pots.
They seem to max out at C4 (pitch) around the position 7 of the pot.
This means that a lot of the travel is not used for fine tuning and as a result, selecting the pitch is a bit hard as a slight move of the pot makes the pitch change.

Is this the same for everyone here?
I am on OS 2.0.4 and Panel 1.1.3 (even though I am not sure how I can double check the panel version).

Just checking if my P10 has developed an issue ;)

Many thanks!

chysn

Re: Prophet 10 Frequency pots max out at "7" positon
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:57:21 PM »
The numeric range for Oscillator A and keyboard "on" Oscillator B frequency is 0 (C 0) to 96 (C 4)*, while the numeric range of the potentiometer is 0 to 127. Anything over 96 is treated as C 4, which is almost 25% of the remaining travel. So, yeah, around the 7 mark.

The numeric range of Oscillator B with keyboard "off" is a bit higher, 0 (Db0) to 108 (C 9), so there's not quite as much "dead" space at the top.

Note also that there's no "fine tuning" for Oscillator frequency with the Frequency knobs; they're quantized to the note displayed.

TLDR; Your Prophet-10 is behaving properly in this respect!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:04:17 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 06:01:11 PM »
The numeric range for Oscillator A and keyboard "on" Oscillator B frequency is 0 (C 0) to 96 (C 4), while the numeric range of the potentiometer is 0 to 127. Anything over 96 is treated as C 4, which is almost 25% of the remaining travel.

The numeric range of Oscillator B with keyboard "off" is a bit higher, 0 (Db0) to 108 (C 9), so there's not quite as much "dead" space at the top.

TLDR; Your Prophet-10 is behaving properly in this respect!

Phew! Thanks so much for giving my sanity back :) I've had a few occasions where my P10 was behaving erratically e.g. Oscilator 2 detuning 2-3 semitones down for no reason or pitch among the keys was all over the place (random pitches) so after resolving those I thought I found another issue ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:04:31 PM by chysn »

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 03:26:55 PM »
Newbie here - I’m confused about how 0-96 spans 4 octaves, but 0-108 spans 9 octaves. Does the Osc B pot use only one midi value per pitch when Kbd is set to “off” while two are used per pitch with Kbd “on” as chysn noted? 108/48 is 9/4, so I could see that making sense.

I’m assuming the pitch displayed in the LED is in reference to the low C on the keyboard, which would explain why you’d need an extra 5 octaves for OscB if you don’t have scaling from the (5-octave) keyboard. But why start at Db and not C-0? It sounded from the other thread like the OG P5s went down to B-0, so “preserving the original patch offsets” doesn’t make sense to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:57:07 PM by Loxley11 »