Someone has been paying attention to us...

Someone has been paying attention to us...
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:58:45 AM »
https://www.arturia.com/products/drumbrute/overview

These guys must be paying attention to our forum about functionality...

Re: Someone has been paying attention to us...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »
Beat Roll without having to skip past the triplets...TIGHT!

sofine

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:41:18 AM »
Beat Roll without having to skip past the triplets...TIGHT!

I think you can do this if you assign beat roll to one of the tempest touch strips as a beat FX!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
Thank you for posting this. Never knew about this.

This is a rant and you are welcome to skip it... :)

I learned music on midi, smpte, scsi, zip drives , and noisy gear with loud fans. Im a linear guy.

I adore roger linn and his contributions to music. When i saw the tempest by accident in an advert in MIX magazine earlier this year, i had to have it (even though its been out for a coupe years already).

The tempest is a beast, and you can do so much with it. That said,  Its over my head and im quite intimidated by it. Even though ive had this machine since February, I've not used it in any production because i dont know how to use it. The videos on youtube are scarce and only show people twisting knobs. Im old school and want that analog sound. I just make beats that are not in the EDM world.

I like simple. Im simple. The drumbrute is simple. It has knobs. Just like my tr9.

Once i get the drumbrute, if it can produce the sounds that fit with the production i do, i will sell the tempest. I stil have the plastic on the screen because when I purchased it back in February , i didn't immediately feel a connection with it, because its just too complicated (leaner this later after i got it home).

A rant I know but i do appreciate a company making an analog drum machine with simplicity in mind. Not everyone uses DAWs (i dont; i record to SCSI drives using a fostex d2424LV and master to dat) and a select few still like to use analog mix desks with patch bays.

Arturia releases this box with a price point thats bananas. I have to get it because its simple, has knobs that i can get to instead of me diving like on the tempest, and the sounds are instant.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:20:41 AM by Morgenspaziergang »

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:04:10 AM »
Is it just me or do the sound clip examples of the DrumBrute sound kind of shite?

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
It has some nice features but to me it fights for placememt with Elektron AR. Tempest offers so much more in synthesis vs "static" sounds per sound. The sequencer auto fill (roller) is cool. Polyrythms and random generation is neat but I will be hardpressed to see anything usable come out of it (more so for random fill generation). Just think of Roland's scatter function. Utter garbage...just a gimick. They are also toting the "classic" 808 and 909 sounds. Sonsick of that. Why bother for classic sound and why on earth compete with Roland who has that sound down with their TR-8? Considering that drum machines cater more to techno/house producers (etc) We need to see 16 bar patterns. It has always been about phrasing in 16 than 8 or worse for some 4 bars. As for midi clock resolution their 1pp etc to me are gimmicks. Like Elektron's TURBO MIDI which doesnt even work with their own devices as was marketed for tighter midi clock timing. Now it is just for dumping sysex across devices for firmware updates of the same machine. Go figure. We need a language that communicates like a combination of SMTP and MIDI clock. Let the slave device manage it's own clock with inturrups from the master device for temp changes (which would also have to communicate rate increase/decrease). Until a protocol is developed to keep timing in 100% sync slaves are just playing catchup whether you hear it or not.

Arturia is a fine company and their product fits a niche but it doesnt dethrown the all time champion *cue the orchestra* TEMPEST! *grin*

Even when we go on about the awesomeness of the TR-808/909 people forget that most of "The Sound" was due to post processing and layering. It didn't come like that out of the box and each device sounded different to a degree.

Roger and the DSI shouldnt be concerned but maybe put more enphasis on marketing the Tempest and getting more festival acts using them but then again I want to be the badass in my town...so keep it a secret;)

Man - I just became a fanboy...woot!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
Tempest is still my favourite piece of instrument, but drum brute also worth to try. thanks for posting this  :)

bozo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:36:23 AM »
It has some nice features but to me it fights for placememt with Elektron AR. Tempest offers so much more in synthesis vs "static" sounds per sound. The sequencer auto fill (roller) is cool. Polyrythms and random generation is neat but I will be hardpressed to see anything usable come out of it (more so for random fill generation). Just think of Roland's scatter function. Utter garbage...just a gimick. They are also toting the "classic" 808 and 909 sounds. Sonsick of that. Why bother for classic sound and why on earth compete with Roland who has that sound down with their TR-8? Considering that drum machines cater more to techno/house producers (etc) We need to see 16 bar patterns. It has always been about phrasing in 16 than 8 or worse for some 4 bars. As for midi clock resolution their 1pp etc to me are gimmicks. Like Elektron's TURBO MIDI which doesnt even work with their own devices as was marketed for tighter midi clock timing. Now it is just for dumping sysex across devices for firmware updates of the same machine. Go figure. We need a language that communicates like a combination of SMTP and MIDI clock. Let the slave device manage it's own clock with inturrups from the master device for temp changes (which would also have to communicate rate increase/decrease). Until a protocol is developed to keep timing in 100% sync slaves are just playing catchup whether you hear it or not.

Arturia is a fine company and their product fits a niche but it doesnt dethrown the all time champion *cue the orchestra* TEMPEST! *grin*

Even when we go on about the awesomeness of the TR-808/909 people forget that most of "The Sound" was due to post processing and layering. It didn't come like that out of the box and each device sounded different to a degree.

Roger and the DSI shouldnt be concerned but maybe put more enphasis on marketing the Tempest and getting more festival acts using them but then again I want to be the badass in my town...so keep it a secret;)

Man - I just became a fanboy...woot!
I beg to differ on a number of points, but the most, scatter, have you used it on the MX-1? I would doubt it. Far and away better than what they put on the TR-8.......and much more advanced than the beat roll on the Tempest. (which i consider to be an undeveloped area of the Tempest, as in, no easy way to have some sounds not affected by it)

cheers

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
Is it just me or do the sound clip examples of the DrumBrute sound kind of shite?

I think so ....has a sort of woolly cardboard box type tone ...not my thing personally.