Harp sound for Prophet XL - Compiler Utility issues

Harp sound for Prophet XL - Compiler Utility issues
« on: January 01, 2024, 12:02:53 PM »
I sampled a harp sound from my Integra-7 with the intent on using samples to go into my Prophet XL. I stereo sampled all notes from E0-G6, 16-bit @48kHz. I used the Compiler Utility on a Windows 10 machine and put in each note in the correct order, painstakingly, then exported it to a properly formatted USB3 thumb drive, then imported it into my Prophet. For some reason, the notes do no map correctly. They seem to put all the As first , then the A3s, then the Bs...up to finally the G#s.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there something I need to do to the metadata?

I managed to put together a halfway decent harp sound by using a short piano sample, a triangle wave and I have the piano sample modulation the shape of the triangle a little bit to get that pull-away effect, but I would much rather just have the Roland sound in the thing. I suppose I can just slave the Roland to the Prophet or one of my other MIDI keyboards, but I was hoping to do this to be a learning experience so that I can start moving other user samples in the XL.

My other solution would be to ask if there are any decent harp sample maps for XLs available online for free or to buy? I haven't found any.

Re: Harp sound for Prophet XL - Compiler Utility issues
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 12:05:26 PM »
Can you clarify what you're referring to as the "Compiler Utility"?  If you haven't done so already, please give PXToolkit a try.  It's a free to download and use for your personal projects, works on Windows, and should make it straightforward to import your sample and create an instrument ready to load on your Prophet X.

Among other things, you've mentioned "all the A3s" which suggests that you have more than one sample per note.  If you're using 8dio's official utility then you've run into its obvious limitation: it doesn't support samples at multiple velocities, nor does it support round-robin alternates.  PXToolkit supports both of these features along with everything else the Prophet X is capable of understanding.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 01:04:04 PM »
Can you clarify what you're referring to as the "Compiler Utility"?  If you haven't done so already, please give PXToolkit a try.  It's a free to download and use for your personal projects, works on Windows, and should make it straightforward to import your sample and create an instrument ready to load on your Prophet X.

Among other things, you've mentioned "all the A3s" which suggests that you have more than one sample per note.  If you're using 8dio's official utility then you've run into its obvious limitation: it doesn't support samples at multiple velocities, nor does it support round-robin alternates.  PXToolkit supports both of these features along with everything else the Prophet X is capable of understanding.

I'm not doing multiple velocities or multiple samples per note. I'm just trying to assign one sample per note. When I mention "All the A#s", I mean A#0, A#1, A#2, etc.

The Compiler Utility is the 8Dio one I downloaded a while back. I do have the PX toolkit & I will try that next.

The problem I ran into with the 8Dio app is that, even though I named each sample correctly to its designated key on the keyboard, and then dragged each correct sample to its single designated area in the app, when I imported this package all the As - A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 - mapped to E0, F0, F#0, G0, G#0, A0. A#s did the same thing, as did the rest of the samples all the way up to the G#s.

Something must have happened in the app that read something else in each WAV file I imported. Maybe it read the date stamps or something else in the files & assigned them that way? That doesn't make sense in that I did save out each file going from the lowest to the highest, as I had originally sampled them. If there was some sort of metadata, like assigning the title of the file, that might make sense but I did try that & it didn't change anything.

Anyway, I'll try PX Toolkit & see what I get. Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it!!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »

Still loving my Prophet. Getting ready to finally start making some user banks.

I notice most onboard samples only have 3-5 velocity layers. Is this a PX limitation or just coincidence?

I'd really like a STELLAR rhodes patch on the PX and I wasn't crazy about any of the onboard sample, mostly how they feel. Could I get more than 5 velocity layers with your toolkit?

I wouldn't dedicating a rather large chunk of space just to a really good, shapable raw rhodes tone that feels good.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 12:19:16 PM »

Still loving my Prophet. Getting ready to finally start making some user banks.

I notice most onboard samples only have 3-5 velocity layers. Is this a PX limitation or just coincidence?

I'd really like a STELLAR rhodes patch on the PX and I wasn't crazy about any of the onboard sample, mostly how they feel. Could I get more than 5 velocity layers with your toolkit?

I wouldn't dedicating a rather large chunk of space just to a really good, shapable raw rhodes tone that feels good.

The piano samples have almost 8 layers.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 10:26:25 AM »

More isn't always better.  It's a lot of work to keep a ton of samples consistent and the extra effort often means less attention per sample and more obvious bum samples that occasionally stick out like a sore thumb.  It's not uncommon for people to record more samples and pick the ones that blend best – or even having more velocity layers in some parts of the range where it makes the biggest difference.

The official limit per Sequential is 128 pitch ranges, each with up to 20 velocity layers, with each velocity layer having a maximum of 20 round-robin alternatives – up to a total size limit of 1.5GB.  PXToolkit enforces these limits, but within then you're allowed to go wild.