Wood Cheek Material / Colour

Wood Cheek Material / Colour
« on: January 01, 2024, 01:56:29 AM »
What's going on with the colour and or wood type Sequential is now using? A friend bought a Prophet 6 about 6 years ago and the wood colour and grain is beautiful and it matches the photos all over the web.

I purchased an OB-6 a few months ago and I'm really disappointed with the wood colour. Its a very dark, chocolate looking colour. I know the original OBs were darker, but this is on another level. As I'm not a fan of the OB bolts and washers, I purchased a pair of Prophet 6 end cheeks from Sequential, but they too were the exact same colour! (well at least I can use countersunk bolts and I prefer the slightly thicker wood).

Imagine if I bought the P6 end cheeks for a P6. It would be a total mismatch with the horizontal wood piece under the keys.

I understand that its almost impossible to get the same grade and colour over many years, but Sequential seem to have made a decision to completely change the wood colour / material and its not matching all the online images of what you think you're buying.

Re: Wood Cheek Material / Colour
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 09:10:59 AM »
What's going on with the colour and or wood type Sequential is now using? A friend bought a Prophet 6 about 6 years ago and the wood colour and grain is beautiful and it matches the photos all over the web.

I purchased an OB-6 a few months ago and I'm really disappointed with the wood colour. Its a very dark, chocolate looking colour. I know the original OBs were darker, but this is on another level. As I'm not a fan of the OB bolts and washers, I purchased a pair of Prophet 6 end cheeks from Sequential, but they too were the exact same colour! (well at least I can use countersunk bolts and I prefer the slightly thicker wood).

Imagine if I bought the P6 end cheeks for a P6. It would be a total mismatch with the horizontal wood piece under the keys.

I understand that its almost impossible to get the same grade and colour over many years, but Sequential seem to have made a decision to completely change the wood colour / material and its not matching all the online images of what you think you're buying.

I also bought some new OB6 ends late last year. Way way way darker than the original. Not sure I like them compared to the original.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 09:27:42 AM »

I also bought some new OB6 ends late last year. Way way way darker than the original. Not sure I like them compared to the original.

I kinda quite the dark wood, at least as it appears in your pic. Old school vibe!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 12:14:10 PM »
What could be more subjective than people’s favourite colours.. if it really is that much of an issue just pop them off and repaint / varnish!

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:42 AM »
What could be more subjective than people’s favourite colours.. if it really is that much of an issue just pop them off and repaint / varnish!
I take your point. But my comment is partly that what is being sold no longer matches the photos. And note I purchased P6 wood ends and these in no way, match all the P6s I've seen in real life and videos.

I did consider sanding the replacements, but looking in the drill holes, it "seems" to be the wood is this colour too. I could be wrong though.