Sysex backup via USB

Sysex backup via USB
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:37:06 AM »
Hi guys.

I can't seem to find how I can backup my Tempest sysex files via USB.
I've never done a syses backup before, but I think it's a wise thing to do before upgrading to OS 1.4.
I have my Tempest hooked up via USB to my Mac. Downloaded Sysex Librarian, but then it stops...
What to do next? I can see the Tempest appear in the Librarian pull down menu, but when I press record one (or record many) nothing happens except a "Waiting for Sysex" message. I then start my Tempest so the track plays through my Playlist but nothing happens.
Can't seem to find a USB tutorial on how to back up the Tempest either. Please help!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:41:23 AM by JC14 »

Re: Sysex backup via USB
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:40:35 AM »
Oh and yes, MIDI Sysex IN+OUT cable has been set to USB on the Tempest :-)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 03:00:36 AM »
What OS version do you have?As in the official update instructions here:http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-tempest-os/
It says:
Tempest can only be updated via USB after Main OS version 1.2 is installed. If your Main OS reads less than 1.2, you’ll need to update via the MIDI jacks first.If you're running a version after 1.2 did you choose Tempest in Sysex Librarian's Midi In/Out preferences?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:04:08 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:04:17 AM »

I have OS 1.3, but it's not about updating.
I want to back-up my sysex files first before upgrading to 1.4, but don't know how :-(

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:48:40 AM »
Hi JC14.

First get MidiOX or your preferred sysex program.

1) In Midi Ox make sure your usb/midi device that will be sending the data from Tempest to to your computer is set at the start. (ie Edirol Um2ex1 or 2 ect) "Options" "Midi devices" and highlight the appropriate "Midi Input" option of your device.
2) Exit out of that page and then click "View" and then choose "Sysex"
3) Then from the sysex window choose "Sysex" then "Receive manual dump".
4) Via the "Save/Load button" choose what data you want to send from the Tempest and go through next!
Sysex should be transferring now...
5) Save the file that dumped to Midi OX.

That should be it!

Enjoy!

Tim
Tim

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:49:51 AM »
ohh. Just saw your on a Mac.
Should be a similar process though!

Tim
Tim

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:13 AM »
I give up... Can't get it to work.
Will just update to OS1.4 and hope my projects will still work.
Fingers crossed...

Edit: IT WORKS!! Sorry for the hassle and beginners questions, but your help is MUCH appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:07:41 AM by JC14 »