Couple of Pro 3 SE issues

Couple of Pro 3 SE issues
« on: December 28, 2023, 03:13:56 AM »
It seems the triangle wave is very buzzy on my unit compared to my Sub 37, I have uploaded an audio sample from an initialised patch, oscillator one only, level on 62, no distortion or drive. 4 pole OTA filter fully open with everything else turned down. Shape mod and wave shape set to minimum positions.

I have attached a file, if anyone might listen and let me know.

Also the headphone output is waaaay louder than the main output. Like I only need to set the master volume at 9 o'clock when using headphones, anything above is just too loud.

When I use the main output on the back I need to have the master volume around 1'oclock.
Normal behaviour?

Here's a link to the recording I made of the triangle wave incase the attached audio file doesnt work

https://soundcloud.com/rackmode/protri
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 03:17:38 AM by stylesforfree »

Re: Couple of Pro 3 SE issues
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:16:26 AM »
Do you have a oscilloscope you can look at it?   Hard for me to tell, and I'm not by my unit to compare.

What are you running your main outputs into?  Not to over simplify here, but I assume you accounting for variables like: input adjustment on a mixer?  Amp setting on mixer, different impedance jack output, etc... 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 10:27:58 AM »
Oscillators are very hot on the Pro 3. Might be overdriving the VCA's, the digital section, or the mixer itself. I would turn down osc volume.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 12:50:03 PM »
Oscillators are very hot on the Pro 3. Might be overdriving the VCA's, the digital section, or the mixer itself. I would turn down osc volume.

Oscillator 1 running into the VCA on its own, volume is set to 58. No drive or distortion, no digital fx turned on.

Do you have a oscilloscope you can look at it?   Hard for me to tell, and I'm not by my unit to compare.

What are you running your main outputs into?  Not to over simplify here, but I assume you accounting for variables like: input adjustment on a mixer?  Amp setting on mixer, different impedance jack output, etc...

Into an RME audio interface, line level inputs. Using RME totalmix to monitor levels, level is -18dB. Everything at every possible gain stage is set low, no peaking, everything is running in the green.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 02:06:21 PM »
Oh, and there ARE some high harmonics in this wave, unlike a sine. It is not a pure sine, but rather has odd harmonics kind of like a square wave.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 10:31:40 AM »
Looking at the Pro 3 triangle wave there is a very small nip at the extreme peak and valley. I compared it to a 'perfect" triangle shape from the UDO super 6.   Apparently, it does not take much of a nip to add some additional harmonics to the spectrum as seen in the spectrogram.  See attachments.   (green is the Pro 3 in the overlay).   I probably wouldn't have noticed audibly other than doing a side-by-side test. 

I don't think mine has as much edginess as your example Stylesforfree.  Make sure your shapemod is set to zero.

By the way,  the triangle on digital oscillator #3 looks to be a slightly bent sine/triangle mixture.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 05:40:31 PM »
Looking at the Pro 3 triangle wave there is a very small nip at the extreme peak and valley. I compared it to a 'perfect" triangle shape from the UDO super 6.   Apparently, it does not take much of a nip to add some additional harmonics to the spectrum as seen in the spectrogram.  See attachments.   (green is the Pro 3 in the overlay).   I probably wouldn't have noticed audibly other than doing a side-by-side test. 

I don't think mine has as much edginess as your example Stylesforfree.  Make sure your shapemod is set to zero.

By the way,  the triangle on digital oscillator #3 looks to be a slightly bent sine/triangle mixture.

Thank you for doing this. Shapemod is set to zero. Which filter did you have selected? My recording of the triangle is through the 4 pole OTA filter

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 10:48:12 AM »
  I just loaded a initial patch...so whatever that one defaults too.