I'm having an issue with MIDI

I'm having an issue with MIDI
« on: December 19, 2023, 12:43:44 AM »
Hello,

I'm having an issue with MIDI.

Let me explain, I have a Prophet 6 (P6) connected via USB to my PC, which handles MIDI transmission.
I use Ableton Live to write MIDI notes and send them to the P6.
Once the notes are played on the P6 keyboard, they are captured correctly by Ableton and sent back to the instrument for interpretation. However, the issue is that the interpretation on the P6 occurs with a delay of approximately 100 to 250ms or more, I'm not exactly sure how much.
I have other Sequential keyboards, and none of them have this problem.

Is there a solution to correct this?

Thank you for your responses.  :)
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

Re: I'm having an issue with MIDI
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 06:05:23 AM »
I’m confused about what exactly you are doing. To me it looks like you’re sending midi to the P6, recording the played notes in Ableton and then … sending something back for interpretation? Could you expand on this please so I can try to replicate the problem.

Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »
I’m confused about what exactly you are doing. To me it looks like you’re sending midi to the P6, recording the played notes in Ableton and then … sending something back for interpretation? Could you expand on this please so I can try to replicate the problem.

Hello,
Thank you for your attention.

There is precisely a 50ms delay when the P6 interprets Midi data from Ableton Live.

Principle:
- Connect the instrument via USB.
- Open Ableton Live and ensure the instrument is activated in MIDI.
- Create a MIDI track and set the input and output to the Prophet 6.
- Play a short melody and activate Ableton's playback to make the Prophet 6 play."
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 12:12:27 PM »
Try setting only track output to active and disabling track input - you may be generating MIDI feedback by leaving both input and output active while only needing note output.

*Edited to add a useful link: https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/12826311546642-Troubleshooting-MIDI-Feedback-Loops
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 12:45:55 PM by Oblong »
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 04:09:16 PM »
Try setting only track output to active and disabling track input - you may be generating MIDI feedback by leaving both input and output active while only needing note output.

*Edited to add a useful link: https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/12826311546642-Troubleshooting-MIDI-Feedback-Loops

Thank you for this feedback  ;)

Indeed, even from Ableton's side, they advise disabling the MIDI input when using an external synthesizer to avoid feedback loops.
Now, the problem is, how do I use the synthesizer keyboard? It's not convenient without the keyboard.

On the link you provided, it mentions MIDI Pipe (Mac) or MIDI Ox (PC) to try to overcome this issue by automatically disabling when the keyboard is not in use.

Have any of you succeeded in this kind of maneuver?

I'll look into it on my end.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
I just gave it a try. I don't use Ableton but rather Cubase. I recorded a midi track from the P6 via DIN midi and then played the midi track back to the P6 and recorded the audio coming from the synth. There is indeed a lag however I measure it at about 1 millisecond which, as I recall reading somewhere, is about normal for midi. Same measurement using usb midi. In both cases midi output was off and midi input was on while recording midi and the opposite for the audio recording.

Could your problem be a setting in Abelton, perhaps?
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 02:47:53 AM »
I just gave it a try. I don't use Ableton but rather Cubase. I recorded a midi track from the P6 via DIN midi and then played the midi track back to the P6 and recorded the audio coming from the synth. There is indeed a lag however I measure it at about 1 millisecond which, as I recall reading somewhere, is about normal for midi. Same measurement using usb midi. In both cases midi output was off and midi input was on while recording midi and the opposite for the audio recording.

Could your problem be a setting in Abelton, perhaps?

I don't know. Honestly.

I compensate for the 50ms delay, which allows you to be synchronized.
Beyond that, new problems arise.
The captured midi sequence is not played completely, sometimes certain notes are not played. Or the sequence simply does not play. I have to place a small note a few pulses before to activate the thing.
Or just as great, the preset recorded on Prophet 6 returns to its original state when I start playback.

So whether it's one thing or the other, or I don't know what. It's very annoying.
I'm thinking of buying a midi router and switching off the usb. I'm also thinking of contacting tech support if nothing changes.
And of course the 2-year warranty has passed (November 2023!)

Happy if the device is damaged, especially when it costs so much and deteriorates so quickly.
Less than 400 hours of use.

For now I remain optimistic, there is surely a solution.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 07:19:12 AM »
Regarding the change of program:
I managed to resolve the issue.
I would say that when capturing a midi sequence via the Prophet 6, it could also record the program... not sure, which means that Ableton returns the information as such program to be called when the previous sequence recorded starts.

At least one problem solved.

But really, I think that the solution is to avoid any problems and not be bothered by the risk of midi loops or others. This is to use MIDI Pipe (Mac) or MIDI Ox (PC).

the problem is that it's a pain to configure, but I think that once in place, the midi information can be configured as needed. So ideal, but annoying to install.

I'm thinking of contacting support to maybe get some help.
ASM Hydrasynth
Soma Pulsar23
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt
Korg Nautilus