Compact device for mixing the outputs of two polychained synths

Compact device for mixing the outputs of two polychained synths
« on: December 08, 2023, 08:43:47 PM »
What would be my best option for a compact device that can mix the stereo outputs of two OB-6 modules into a single stereo output? Having an additional stereo headphone output after the mix would also be very beneficial. Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:50:58 PM by FlorentH »

Re: Compact device for mixing the outputs of two polychained synths
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 07:01:35 AM »
What would be my best option for a compact device that can mix the stereo outputs of two OB-6 modules into a single stereo output? Having an additional stereo headphone output after the mix would also be very beneficial. Thank you!

Sounds like you just need a small compact mixer. Maybe check out something like the Mackie Mix 5 as a starting point for example - there are a load of options out there!

g3o2

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 07:24:59 AM »
Here are some more expensive alternatives: 1010music Bluebox; OTO Bébé Chérie; TE TX-6; Radial Engineering Key-Largo.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 09:46:33 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions.

I need something very small as it will be fit in a custom enclosure that houses two OB-6 modules. I don't need level tuning knobs or anything of that nature, since I can simply adjust the levels of the two OB-6 modules individually. (Well, I would still need a headphone level knob).

I've been reading that two Y-cables with a specific combination of resistors can do the job (but I've also read of potential small degradations in sound quality).

A very small powered mixer does seem like the best option, sound quality wise, but I'm not sure if there's one small enough for my needs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:56:42 AM by FlorentH »

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 10:37:29 AM »
I may have found the right device, but can someone please explain to me what the golden protruding cylinder is? I see that GROUND is written beside it, but I'm not sure how it would work.

https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Channel-Ultra-compact-Microphones-Keyboards/dp/B0B5GDZNYX/ref=sr_1_11?crid=31Z2EK24GE704&keywords=line+mixer&qid=1702146549&sprefix=line+mixer%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-11

Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 08:37:38 AM »
If you would start to get common hum, you could run a wire from the gold terminal to a cold water pipe or other appropriate ground.  Otherwise you probably don't need it.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
If you would start to get common hum, you could run a wire from the gold terminal to a cold water pipe or other appropriate ground.  Otherwise you probably don't need it.

Thank you! Makes a lot of sense.