PX Toolkit - Erased USB Stick, need help!

PX Toolkit - Erased USB Stick, need help!
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:40:58 AM »
Hi all,

I have made a bit of a boo-boo.. I have inadvertently wiped my USB stick which had all my data on it which I was using to manage and transfer files onto my PX. And stupidly I had not kept a copy on my computer (which I thought i had done).

Is there any way I can recover this from the PX itself, and write back to the USB stick?

Any help welcome!

Re: PX Toolkit - Erased USB Stick, need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 02:19:32 PM »
Let me ask this another way maybe.. is there any way to perform a full back up to usb?

That would be including samples too.. in the manual I could only find how to back up patch data.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:52:34 PM »
Sorry to bump, anyone got any ideas?

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:01:09 AM »
How about backing up to a computer with something like Soundtower and then putting the backup onto a usb?
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 07:50:05 AM »
How about backing up to a computer with something like Soundtower and then putting the backup onto a usb?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

I will look into Soundtower, I already have this for a couple of synths but will just have to consider the cost. I’m guessing Soundtower is the only app to offer a full backup?

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 08:56:47 AM »

I will look into Soundtower, I already have this for a couple of synths but will just have to consider the cost. I’m guessing Soundtower is the only app to offer a full backup?

I have SoundTower for the PX. Im pretty certain it only manages patches. Its sample management in terms of patch editing is not even the cleanest. I certainly don't think it manages samples. Only badly reports what samples are on the machine. See screenshot.

Sorry but I don't think there is an option to export samples back out of the PX.

Thanks

Jago

Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 07:44:09 AM »

I have SoundTower for the PX. Im pretty certain it only manages patches. Its sample management in terms of patch editing is not even the cleanest. I certainly don't think it manages samples. Only badly reports what samples are on the machine. See screenshot.

Sorry but I don't think there is an option to export samples back out of the PX.

Thanks

Jago

Sorry. My bad. I was thinking in terms of saving presets which Soundtower will definately do but samples ... not so much. I don't know of any software that will export samples from the PX. There's a project for one of you clever programmers!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:45:51 AM by thirteen_engines »
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 08:51:04 AM »

Thanks

Jago

Thank you for the response, much appreciated!

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »

Thanks

Jago

Sorry. My bad. I was thinking in terms of saving presets which Soundtower will definately do but samples ... not so much. I don't know of any software that will export samples from the PX. There's a project for one of you clever programmers!

Thanks to you as well sir!

I guess my way forward then may be to either start from scratch (really don’t want to do that), or to go through each sample manually on the unit itself to ensure that I don’t overwrite anything.

I guess from a PX toolkit perspective, as long as I use different folder names than the ones present on the unit then I should be safe?

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 10:45:06 AM »
I guess from a PX toolkit perspective, as long as I use different folder names than the ones present on the unit then I should be safe?

When installing instrument it will only overwrite existing sampled instruments when all three of the following match: bank, category, and instrument number.  The easiest thing is to make note of what banks you currently have samples installed in and avoid those – but in a pinch you can install in an existing bank so long as it's in a category you haven't used before, or in numbered instrument slots within a category that already aren't in use.  When installing a sampled instrument that matches the bank + category + instrument of an existing instrument, it will replace the older samples.

The main reason to avoid getting too clever with filling in a bank with a bunch of unrelated instruments is that the only utilities available on the Prophet X to delete samples will delete an entire bank.  There's no way to delete a specific instrument or just one category from the bank.  It's the whole bank or nothing, though you can also overwrite specific sampled instruments by installing new ones on top of them.

There's a project for one of you clever programmers!

The Prophet X doesn't appear to provide any external access to installed samples.  They treat the factory samples, add-on, and user samples in the same manner from this perspective as far as I can tell – presumably to protect the copyrighted material that forms both factory and third-party samples.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 07:06:16 AM »

When installing instrument it will only overwrite existing sampled instruments when all three of the following match: bank, category, and instrument number.  The easiest thing is to make note of what banks you currently have samples installed in and avoid those – but in a pinch you can install in an existing bank so long as it's in a category you haven't used before, or in numbered instrument slots within a category that already aren't in use.  When installing a sampled instrument that matches the bank + category + instrument of an existing instrument, it will replace the older samples.

The main reason to avoid getting too clever with filling in a bank with a bunch of unrelated instruments is that the only utilities available on the Prophet X to delete samples will delete an entire bank.  There's no way to delete a specific instrument or just one category from the bank.  It's the whole bank or nothing, though you can also overwrite specific sampled instruments by installing new ones on top of them.

There's a project for one of you clever programmers!

The Prophet X doesn't appear to provide any external access to installed samples.  They treat the factory samples, add-on, and user samples in the same manner from this perspective as far as I can tell – presumably to protect the copyrighted material that forms both factory and third-party samples.

Fantastic - thanks for the info, much appreciated! I’ll follow your advice and just ensure I use new folder names going forward to avoid any issues.

By the way re the copyright - I got an answer from a kind chap at Soundtower, I had asked whether sample backup was possible. He informed me that they could not offer this due to copyright issues, so I think your assumption is correct.

Thanks again all!