How can I transpose(or +/- octave) only one part in split or stack mode?

Hi.
How can I move an octave down or up just one part in bitibral mode? For example I want to move up an octave only the left part of a split program I made.
I haven't found a way. If I use the +/- Oct buttons, both parts are transposed.

Anyone?

I’m not sure you can, I think the transpose is effectively ‘global’ - maybe someone can correct me if wrong.

The simple workaround here though is to tune one layer one octave above or below its current settings - you can do this for the oscillators and for the samples if using both, and that should give you the desired results

I’m not sure you can, I think the transpose is effectively ‘global’ - maybe someone can correct me if wrong.

The simple workaround here though is to tune one layer one octave above or below its current settings - you can do this for the oscillators and for the samples if using both, and that should give you the desired results

It is not so simple because many programs and many of its parameters are pitch dependent...For example if the preset has filter key tracking ,sync,fm etc i ll have problem

It is not so simple because many programs and many of its parameters are pitch dependent...For example if the preset has filter key tracking ,sync,fm etc i ll have problem

Let’s break it down..

If you have patches where one layer has “pitch dependent” settings but the other layer does not, then make the oscillator pitch  / sample pitch adjustments on the layer which does not.

For the ones where you have these types of configurations on both layers let’s break it down further:

Key tracking: after adjusting the pitches then all you have to do is adjust the cutoff value as necessary to get it sounding the same (no need to change the key tracking value).

Sync: I don’t believe any adjustment would be required here? Seeing as the oscillators would still maintain their relative differences.

FM: I haven’t explored FM on the PX so can’t say for sure.

Etc.: Is there anything else which is “pitch dependent “?

Let’s break it down..

If you have patches where one layer has “pitch dependent” settings but the other layer does not, then make the oscillator pitch  / sample pitch adjustments on the layer which does not.

For the ones where you have these types of configurations on both layers let’s break it down further:

Key tracking: after adjusting the pitches then all you have to do is adjust the cutoff value as necessary to get it sounding the same (no need to change the key tracking value).

Sync: I don’t believe any adjustment would be required here? Seeing as the oscillators would still maintain their relative differences.

yes,i ve alread thought those ''solutions'' but the truth is that they are not the right solutions.All of them require more time,work and additional setting for something that it could be fixed with just a press of a button.

Let’s break it down..

yes,i ve alread thought those ''solutions'' but the truth is that they are not the right solutions.All of them require more time,work and additional setting for something that it could be fixed with just a press of a button.

Maybe there is a way by pressing one button, but I don’t think that’s the case.

I don’t see how these are not the ‘right’ solutions. Synths work how they work, and that’s it!

An besides, it really is not that difficult to for example fix the one in regards the key tracking. Change the oscillator pitches - about a 30 second job - and then adjust the filter cutoff. It really shouldn’t take long!

Like I said I don’t think it’s a problem for synching as that relies on the relative pitches so there shouldn’t be any impact there.

And is there really anything else apart from key tracking and perhaps the FM?

EDIT - Is anyone else aware if there is a simple way to do this using transpose? I did try it out but as suspected pretty sure it’s global, plus from memory it says as much in the manual
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:30:28 PM by hoodoo_ray »

Let’s break it down..

I don’t see how these are not the ‘right’ solutions. Synths work how they work, and that’s it!

An besides, it really is not that difficult to for example fix the one in regards the key tracking. Change the oscillator pitches - about a 30 second job - and then adjust the filter cutoff. It really shouldn’t take long!

Like I said I don’t think it’s a problem for synching as that relies on the relative pitches so there shouldn’t be any impact there.

EDIT - Is anyone else aware if there is a simple way to do this using transpose? I did try it out but as suspected pretty sure it’s global, plus from memory it says as much in the manual

All multitibral synths have many functions and settings that you can address easily problems like that.Those are so common features.There is a a reason that i made this thread. I do not want to spend so much time tuning the presets just to include them in a multi.I do not even want to duplicate them in different versions just because i cannot do a simple thing in a multi.
There are occassions that you want to split the keyboard and use the same patch in different octaves,in different split programs.Do you find it ok to edit the same patch all the time and resaving it in different locations?..and yes,i use fm,sync and other options a lot.

Let’s break it down..

All multitibral synths have many functions and settings that you can address easily problems like that.Those are so common features.There is a a reason that i made this thread. I do not want to spend so much time tuning the presets just to include them in a multi.I do not even want to duplicate them in different versions just because i cannot do a simple thing in a multi.
There are occassions that you want to split the keyboard and use the same patch in different octaves,in different split programs.Do you find it ok to edit the same patch all the time and resaving it in different locations?..and yes,i use fm,sync and other options a lot.

How many conversations go in synth forums:

How can I achieve this particular thing, I should like to be able to do it by x

Reply: you can achieve it, but by doing a, b and c

Response: but I want to be able to do it by x

I’m not saying what I do want and what I don’t, or how I think it should and shouldn’t work. I’m just telling you what the synth can and can’t do, as far as I know.

I could be wrong but it sounds to me that it’s actually not that big an issue in real terms to you, judging by the fact you didn’t answer any of the questions posed, but rather what you’re really after is a feature which is not available for whatever reason.

So I’ve given you ways to do what you want, if you want it to work differently then I would start a feature request thread for it.

Again to the community - does anyone know of a way to achieve this easily which I am not personally aware of to help out the op?

Just thinking outside the box, and untested, but might it be possible to play one of the parts with another midi keyboard?
If you take the audio out from each part seperately and use layer mode then perhaps you can pllay each part in the note range you desire.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Update - I've just tried this and it works. Here are the steps, using a PX and another keyboard.

• I assume that the PX is set to midi channel 1.
  • In the global settings turn on #14 multi mode.
  • Take the Main/A output to your mixer and also B output to your mixer (taking 4 channels).
  • On the other keyboard, connect midi out to PX midi in and set your channel to 1.
  • Load the split program on the PX and set the transpose as you like for program B.
  • Play the other keyboard and set the transpose as you like for program A.

Hope this helps.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Update - I've just tried this and it works. Here are the steps, using a PX and another keyboard.

• Take the Main/A output to your mixer and also B output to your mixer (taking 4 channels).
  • On the other keyboard, connect midi out to PX midi in and set your channel to 1.
  • Load the split program on the PX and set the transpose as you like for program B.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestion, this is something that could work but I want to use prophet x keyboard for both sounds. I do not want to carry more keys when I play live and I like simpler solutions. The octave transpose function could be easily integrated in the operating system.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestion, this is something that could work but I want to use prophet x keyboard for both sounds. I do not want to carry more keys when I play live and I like simpler solutions. The octave transpose function could be easily integrated in the operating system.

I would raise a feature request if I were you and see if you can get it that way

Hope this helps.

I would raise a feature request if I were you and see if you can get it that way

Where can I do that?

I don’t think there’s an “official” way to do this, I think it’s just raising a topic on this forum entitled feature request and then a description of what you are after

Absolutely zero guarantee of course, there is no obligation for Sequential to add and change things, but you can at least get it on the radar that way (some Sequential folk do browse the forum from time to time)

The last thing you can do is speak to Sequential support to see if there is any other known ways to do what you’re after, over and above the advice given above in this thread

I just use one of the sliders to do this as a modulation routing.

Do you mean that I can transpose an octave only one of the two layers, using the slider?

Do you mean that I can transpose an octave only one of the two layers, using the slider?

Yes. You just have to set up the modulations routings on each layer so that way when you use the slider it will respond to each layer’s routing simultaneously.