Prophet-6 Module

Re: Prophet-6 Module
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »
Potentiometer spacing seems to be the same on as the Keyboard version, just the buttons are much closer now.

Yeah, but they did a pretty good job in making this a compact unit and keeping the hands-on design.

dslsynth

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
And I'm undecided what to do with the Poly Evolvers.  Yes, they're fabulous in so many ways, but I also often find myself frustrated with them, usually because of aliasing or some other idiosyncrasy.

Is that the Infamous Evolver Click (TM) that at times can be very easy to generate? Really hope the new generation DSI/Sequential instruments manage the underlying hardware better in order to avoid clicking.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Potentiometer spacing seems to be the same on as the Keyboard version, just the buttons are much closer now.

I was wondering about that too. It turns out that there are four rows of pots/buttons on the module and three rows on the keyboard version. That does make the module more compact. Plus some other size related adjustments are made. I find the module layout way more logical/readable than the keyboard layout with the two bottom rows having oscillators/mixer/filters/amp, the one above modulations and the top row effects/arp/sequencer. Pretty well done, DSI!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
Well... that P6 module is on my "to do list" for next year for sure... I've been going 100% DSI over the last weeks, and are selling a lot of my monosynths currently because I only want high quality, feature rich, polysynths with proper MIDI specs, so there is practicaly nothing else but DSI to turn to.

Just sold my Pulse 2 and MOOG Slim Phatty... Next month my Yamaha EX5 will go as well... I need a new DSI synth with a keybed to be my new motherkeyboard as well, so next month, I'll be a Pro2 user as well.

I really like the P6 module layout, as I'm going to be tweaking a lot more during recording than I've ever done before... Hope the price will be around the same as the Prophet 12 module.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »
so next month, I'll be a Pro2 user as well.

It might still be a bit early, but: Welcome to the club. I'd be interested to hear what you think about having a Pro 2 and a Prophet 12 module side by side.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
so next month, I'll be a Pro2 user as well.

It might still be a bit early, but: Welcome to the club. I'd be interested to hear what you think about having a Pro 2 and a Prophet 12 module side by side.

I'm sure I'll be happy... the filter possibilities on Pro2 is different enough that it will make for something unique.... besides I have plans on incorporating some alternative filters with it, as I'm now totaly void of any MOOG'ish filters in my setup... and I'm sure I'll enjoy the sliders on it, that I do not have on my P12 module, but have been missing since I got the P12. The only problem I've got with Pro2 is that it's not at least 61 keys, but I'll live, and I may get a Prophet 6 keys instead of the module if I find the Pro2 to be too little in that department.

Do like the nice compact layout of the P6 module though :)

I noticed on a picture recently, that the P6 keys have "voice cards" in it... 6 cards in sockets... that hits me that we'll probably see different configurations in the future, or maybe even something where you can initialy buy a single-voice, and expand with more polyphony.... that would be a wise choice because it makes DSI synths more affordable for people who do not have the full funds from the beginning... Hope this will be reality one day...

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
I'm sure I'll be happy... the filter possibilities on Pro2 is different enough that it will make for something unique.... besides I have plans on incorporating some alternative filters with it, as I'm now totaly void of any MOOG'ish filters in my setup... and I'm sure I'll enjoy the sliders on it, that I do not have on my P12 module, but have been missing since I got the P12.

I was rather thinking along the lines of how well you think both do complement each other. After they dropped the price of the module recently, I was asking myself whether it would make sense to add it to a Pro 2 at some point and how well the module could be controlled by the Pro 2.

I noticed on a picture recently, that the P6 keys have "voice cards" in it... 6 cards in sockets... that hits me that we'll probably see different configurations in the future, or maybe even something where you can initialy buy a single-voice, and expand with more polyphony.... that would be a wise choice because it makes DSI synths more affordable for people who do not have the full funds from the beginning... Hope this will be reality one day...

I thought the same, especially after the Parva was announced to be available with different voices.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Looks like they've used every millimeter.

Oh, she is just beauuuuutiful!  My Prophet '08 Module is jealous.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:43:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBXcJOKxC8

Looks like they would have taken more time if nothing had leaked over the weekend.  ::)

Anyway, thanks for the "very short announcement!"  ;)

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »
It's getting a little excessive with the tequila now… It's not just one glass here and there, now we see Dave's whole collection (or maybe just a part of it)!
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
Yes, and I think that might explain the closing chord!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:02:28 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »
And I'm undecided what to do with the Poly Evolvers.  Yes, they're fabulous in so many ways, but I also often find myself frustrated with them, usually because of aliasing or some other idiosyncrasy.

Is that the Infamous Evolver Click (TM) that at times can be very easy to generate? Really hope the new generation DSI/Sequential instruments manage the underlying hardware better in order to avoid clicking.

The clicking is a problem, but the digital aliasing is much more serious.  Even something as basic as a string sound using all four oscillators becomes nearly unusable in the upper registers.  I find myself turning to the Prophet '08 more and more. 

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »

Looks like they would have taken more time if nothing had leaked over the weekend.  ::)

Nope! Intentionally short and lo-fi per Dave  ;)
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
It's getting a little excessive with the tequila now… It's not just one glass here and there, now we see Dave's whole collection (or maybe just a part of it)!

It was a bit like "F**k it, here's our new synth! Back to business now..." It made me giggle.

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »

It was a bit like "F**k it, here's our new synth! Back to business now..." It made me giggle.

Yes, like "…so we built the best poly-synth ever, but some of you didn't like the short keyboard, so here you go. We made this module, it's the same architecture, same interface and same great sound, whatever. Hook 'me up, if you like. See ya."

Gotta love Dave and the team! :D

Now I regret it even more that I didn't visit their office when I was in SF last month :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:17:04 PM by Strange Quark Star »
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
From the Website:

"Projected MAP for the Prophet-6 desktop module is $2,199."

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 01:52:00 AM »
I'm sure I'll be happy... the filter possibilities on Pro2 is different enough that it will make for something unique.... besides I have plans on incorporating some alternative filters with it, as I'm now totaly void of any MOOG'ish filters in my setup... and I'm sure I'll enjoy the sliders on it, that I do not have on my P12 module, but have been missing since I got the P12.

I was rather thinking along the lines of how well you think both do complement each other. After they dropped the price of the module recently, I was asking myself whether it would make sense to add it to a Pro 2 at some point and how well the module could be controlled by the Pro 2.

I thought the same, especially after the Parva was announced to be available with different voices.

Well, I'll have to get back to you about the control possibilities of the P12 module from Pro2... I won't know until I get one... actualy the only thing I need to control on the P12 module from the Pro2, is the slider function, which is not present on the P12 module... the P12 module is pretty easy to use, despite it's few knobs.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 01:58:30 AM »
I bet this introduction was hurried because the news leaked out prior... it was only a matter of time before those pictures would have hit places like "Synthtopia" and the like, and I bet Dave wanted to "be the first"... besides, what is there to explain, when it's "just" a replica of the keyboard version with added polychain functionality?

Anyway.... the price landed about where I estimated it would, so I'm getting one next year, when first bugs have been polished off, and any eventual board revisions have been changed.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
Ha! It's on the Prophet 12 desktop as well, just a bit smaller I guess.

Oh, that's right.
Still, it's just DSI/Sequential stuff I guess (until someone points out another example I missed).
And Poly-Chain is implemented, which will make certain forum members very pleased.

My Arturia Origin has as well, along with a fan!

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 06:01:09 AM »
Is the cooling holes thing going to become a new fetish?

My Arturia Origin has as well, along with a fan!

Perhaps we should open a "Synth Detail Fetish" thread  ;D
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC