Prophet-6 Module

Sacred Synthesis

Prophet-6 Module
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:15:50 AM »
It's certain, so we might as well move all the Prophet-6 Module discussions over here.

I'm so happy to see DSI continue its tradition of providing synthesizer keyboards and the parallel modules, especially of the parameter-rich type.  This particular module will answer the most common objection made about the P6; namely, it's four-octave keyboard. 

The voice count makes it a bit odd.  You couldn't quite pair it with a Poly Evolver, Tetra, or a Prophet '08; but I suppose it could provide that missing VCO character on a Prophet 12, making DSI's flagship a powerful tri-timbral six-voice monster with a little bit of everything. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:23:37 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

Re: Prophet-6 Module
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
It would be just a little bit fun and smile provoking if DSI in their P6M intro video demonstrated stereo panned setup that you use. Maybe it could inspire others?

. o O ( cash flow noises )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
You know I would think it's a great idea - both by dumping the keyboard programs onto the module and then panning the identical sounds, as well as creating bi-timbral combinations.  If this sounds so good on the P08, imagine how rich it would sound on a bona fide VCO synth.

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
I shall try and save you from my usual voice architecture ramblings but it could get even better than that! 8)

And yes, filters in stereo can sound really good.

Going to get such a combo?
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
I'd like to eventually get a Prophet-6 pair, but I'm not sure what I'll do, or when.  I'm trying to envision the big musical picture.  The fact is, the Prophet '08 is still the best all-round instrument for me.  I'd like to get another module for a three-unit P08 system, and then build the whole set up around it.  That would be the calm and rational thing to do, but new instruments always excite and cloud the thinking for a while.  And I'm undecided what to do with the Poly Evolvers.  Yes, they're fabulous in so many ways, but I also often find myself frustrated with them, usually because of aliasing or some other idiosyncrasy.  I've presently got one up for sale, but it's just killing me!

I've been hoping to make major changes to my set up for a year now, but it's such an expensive thing to do, you really have to move prudently.  I had wanted to add a Moog, but the P6 has me looking back to DSI again for the real VCO sound.

Whatever turns out, each instrument will be paired; of that much I'm certain.  I'm glad DSI now has three full-sized instruments that can be paired.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:07:07 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »
I'd like to get another module for a three-unit P08 system, and then build the whole set up around it.  That would be the calm and rational thing to do (…)

;D
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
Wise guy!

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
I can see that it makes very much sense in your case, but taken out of context this statement sounded rather funny  ;)
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
Consider that I don't have all the boxes and gadgets that others have, but only the instruments themselves.  My set up is quite sparse compared to the typical.  Just the meat and potatoes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:17:09 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Consider that I don't have all the boxes and gadgets that others have, but only the instruments themselves.  My set up is quite sparse compared to the typical.  Just the meat and potatoes.

I'm curious, how do you see a "typical" setup then? I guess your setup is just more focused and ordered in your selection of "boxes and gadgets" when compared to others. After all, you do have modules and effects (boxes), a mixer I presume and some recording device (gadgets). Let's not forget your impressive pedalboard, which most people don't have.

I've started a topic on this… topic in the General Synthesis section. I'd love to more hear about your and others' setups there!
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:38 PM »
What I mean is, everything in my set up pertains directly to a keyboard or bass pedalboard.  All the synthesizer modules are triggered directly by keys or pedals; I don't use any of them as independent pieces.  Other than that, I have one small mixer and an effects rack.  For recording, I use a CD player that is not at the set up.  That's it.  When you look at many other set ups (probably excluding yours), you find computers, large mixers, multiple sequencers, drum machines, and all sorts of rackmount and pedal effects.  Often, these pieces occupy more space than the keyboards, which are some times only small monophonic synthesizers.   If I spent so much money on that sort of gear, I couldn't afford the instruments that are played by hand or foot.  Hence, when I talk about a three-piece P08 system, I'm referring to the instrument on which I'll spend most of my time making music.  In essence, I'm turning the instrument into an organ.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:40:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
Got it; totally forgot about instruments not directly/indirectly controlled via keyboards.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
Ventilation grilles on the back! When's the last time you've seen those on a synthesizer? Totally cool.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »
Ventilation grilles on the back! When's the last time you've seen those on a synthesizer? Totally cool.

Ha! It's on the Prophet 12 desktop as well, just a bit smaller I guess.

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
Looks like they've used every millimeter.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
Ha! It's on the Prophet 12 desktop as well, just a bit smaller I guess.

Oh, that's right.
Still, it's just DSI/Sequential stuff I guess (until someone points out another example I missed).
And Poly-Chain is implemented, which will make certain forum members very pleased.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
It's on the Prophet 12 desktop as well, just a bit smaller I guess.

And Tetra got cooling holes on the side. So three DSI products currently. Soon to be two.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
Is the cooling holes thing going to become a new fetish?

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
Looks like they've used every millimeter.

Potentiometer spacing seems to be the same on as the Keyboard version, just the buttons are much closer now.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC