P6 not saving front panel settings after power cycle

P6 not saving front panel settings after power cycle
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
hey all,

on the latest firmware.

when working in front panel mode (ie not "Preset" button OFF)

P6 is not saving values when I cycle power. Various settings get wiped, including LFO assignments, Polymod assignments, aftertouch assignments and more.

Very frustrating, as a I like to be working on a patch over time stored in that buffer, and come back to it.

Anyone else noticing this?

Re: P6 not saving front panel settings after power cycle
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:46 PM »
Can't figure out how to edit post, but I just sent a tech request to DSI.

Essentially, when switching to Live Panel mode, for the first time from a cold boot, MANY settings (including ALL buttons, tempo, FX assignments) are overwritten by the preset that the P6 booted into. I don't believe this behavior existed pre 1.3.1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »

Click the orange "Actions" tab/menu, then click "Modify."

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »

all i see there is "quote" so sorry that's not it. thanks!

[edit]
looks like i can "modify" posts, but only those AFTER someone else has responded. no way for me to modify original post. but forum functionality is the least of my worries tbh, i'd rather see if anyone else notices this wonky P6 behavior. thanks!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:52:08 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:46:03 AM »
I'll check mine this afternoon and let you know.

Just so I understand, you are programming in live mode, not preset mode, turn your P6 off and then back on and you are not where you left off?

As I type that I wonder why you just don't save your work and then turn your P6 off, turn it back on and finish your work on the preset?

Maybe I'm missing something... ;D
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »

all i see there is "quote" so sorry that's not it. thanks!

[edit]
looks like i can "modify" posts, but only those AFTER someone else has responded. no way for me to modify original post. but forum functionality is the least of my worries tbh, i'd rather see if anyone else notices this wonky P6 behavior. thanks!

You can modify your post only for thirty minutes after you post it.  After that, you're stuck with it as is.  The only alternative is to have the proper moderator modify it or delete it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:54:14 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
hey all,

on the latest firmware.

when working in front panel mode (ie not "Preset" button OFF)

P6 is not saving values when I cycle power. Various settings get wiped, including LFO assignments, Polymod assignments, aftertouch assignments and more.

Very frustrating, as a I like to be working on a patch over time stored in that buffer, and come back to it.

Anyone else noticing this?

Posting my response here from the support ticket:

Thanks for contacting DSI/Sequential. I'm happy to answer your questions regarding Live Panel Mode in the Prophet 6. It's always been the case that when you enter Live Panel Mode, the state of the switches and the rotary encoder controls reflects the patch that loads when you first power on the synth. This hasn't changed in any of the OS updates we've made to the Prophet 6. The reason for this is that these controls don't have a fixed state for the processor to reference on start-up. The pots, on the other hand, always have a measurable value. So, the patch that loads when you first power on the synth becomes the default for the switch/encoder controls in Live Panel Mode until you physically manipulate them. You'll notice, with the Tempo control for example, that if you change the Tempo and then enter Live Panel Mode, the edited tempo is what appears on the display.

Therefore, if you want to start creating a patch, power down, and then have the synth in the same state as it was before powering down, you can do so by first saving your patch, and then entering/exiting the Globals to make this patch the default for when you next power on. Then, the next time you power on, you can go immediately to Live Panel Mode and your synth with be in the same state as when you last used it, provided that the position of the pots hasn't changed. Fortunately, there are 500 user programs locations in the Prophet 6, so storage of different versions of your patch shouldn't be an issue!

Regarding your seeing oscillator pitch flash on the screen briefly before the "---" when entering Live Panel Mode, this is new to the 1.3.1 OS, and most likely has to do with optimizations we made to the display update behavior with this OS version. Since the oscillator pitch controls are the only values from potentiometers that are displayed, this makes sense to me without looking further into it at this moment.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

SEQUENTIAL