Trouble recording pad/drone patches in beats

Trouble recording pad/drone patches in beats
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »
Not sure if I will phrase this correctly so please bear with me.

Whenever I create a patch with a sustain/release, that I intend to have as a pad/drone type sound in the background of the beat, I can't seem to get it to record correctly. I will press Play and Record, hold down the pad and have the sound play over the two bar phrase. When it loops, or if I press stop and play it again, the sound doesn't record, or it does record, and is just the initial hit of the sound.

I am not sure what the issue is or what to do. I would like for there to be a sustained pad/drone type sound in the background of the beat that I can layer other sounds on top of it.

Re: Trouble recording pad/drone patches in beats
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
Not sure if I will phrase this correctly so please bear with me.

Whenever I create a patch with a sustain/release, that I intend to have as a pad/drone type sound in the background of the beat, I can't seem to get it to record correctly. I will press Play and Record, hold down the pad and have the sound play over the two bar phrase. When it loops, or if I press stop and play it again, the sound doesn't record, or it does record, and is just the initial hit of the sound.

I am not sure what the issue is or what to do. I would like for there to be a sustained pad/drone type sound in the background of the beat that I can layer other sounds on top of it.

What operating system are you running?  There is a bug present in all of the "official" firmware releases, including OS 1.4., wherein the sequencer does not record the duration of sustained notes correctly, just as you've described.  The latest beta fixes this issue.  Mind you, even with the fix, there is a limit to how long a note can be sustained for: i.e. the sequencer can only record a single note for a maximum of 255 ticks (about 2 1/2 bars).

Cheers!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Ah, that's the issue, just upgraded. Thought I was going crazy bc I had been able to do that before. Any work arounds for the 2 bar limit? Is that just an limitation of the machine or the update? Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
Ah, that's the issue, just upgraded. Thought I was going crazy bc I had been able to do that before. Any work arounds for the 2 bar limit? Is that just an limitation of the machine or the update? Thanks!

It's a hardware limitation... Well, sort of.  Accommodating note durations longer than 255 ticks would mean adding a byte of RAM to each note, which would increase RAM requirements by roughly 15%, and the Tempest's memory is already taxed to the hilt.  So ya, sadly, it ain't happenin' (sigh).

Cheers!

P.S.  I replied to your post on the other forum as well: http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13576

Shea

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »
route the drone to it's own voice out and run it through reverb/delay.

also, i believe that my workaround for that was using a long decay instead of sustaining the notes.

tempest has made me work differently though. i've thought about things i can do instead of drones/pads.